First trip to the Bahamas--need a plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a life raft. Do I need one for a Bahamas cruise?

I don't have a life raft. Do I need one for a Bahamas cruise?

The short answer is no but what is your comfort level? A lot, if not most people, who just cruise the Bahamas, don't have a life raft and would use their dinghy if they had to abandon ship.

My comfort level is high I guess, but I've also never had to abandon ship so ignorance is bliss I suppose. [emoji57]

As for the dinghy, I often wonder if I could launch it in time from the PH roof to use as a life raft. I'm guessing not. Is it a bad idea to tow the dinghy across the Gulf Stream? I'm guessing yes.

Short answer is you don't need a dingy, many open fisherman go back and forth with no raft. I probably made over 100 trips before I got a boat with a raft.

I find it a PIA to tow a dingy but I cruise over around 18 - 20 knots, once there I go about 7 knots. At speed it's easy to chafe a towing bridal. I have done it a few times towing a flats boat but certainly it wasn't a fun experience.

I should add that once I towed a cat with a 40 hp, seas got nasty 6 to 8 feet and I thought about cutting the dingy free. I made it with the dingy but needed a drink once there and anchored.

Another problem with towing a dingy is many are stolen unless you have a way to put them on deck. Two friends lost their dingy at anchor at night.

I should add that once I towed a cat with a 40 hp, seas got nasty 6 to 8 feet and I thought about cutting the dingy free. I made it with the dingy but needed a drink once there and anchored.

Another problem with towing a dingy is many are stolen unless you have a way to put them on deck. Two friends lost their dingy at anchor at night.

Crap. Forgot about the theft thing. So if I leave it in the water overnight what are the odds it gets stolen? That will suck to have to pull the engine off every night and hoist it to the roof.

Is it Shiney and new looking? If so you have a problem. I read somewhere, might have been here on TF about a guy that bought a brand new motor then proceeded to totally wreck the outside with spray paint and such just so it looked like an old piece of crap. That way it was less likely to be stolen.

I have not seen an issue with dinghies going missing in the Abacos. We did side tie ours and ran a lock around the engine though just in case.

We leave our dinghy in the water all the time in the Bahamas and have never had a problem. We also leave our boat unlocked. Unless you are in Nassau or maybe Freeport, crime rates there are considerably lower than they are in the US.

I'm not telling you to do what we do, just passing along the info, so take it for what it is worth. We've spent a total of more than a year there, mainly in the Abacos, Grand Bahama, Andros, and the Berry Islands over the last 12 years. I do put a cable and lock on the dinghy when we go to the Marsh Harbor dinghy dock, but that's the only place.

Boat theft IS an issue there, but it is mainly larger, faster, center consoles with Yamaha motors 250 hp and up. Bigsfish's above post is the first dinghy theft I've heard of there, though I'm sure it does happen occasionally.

The out islands are fairly safe but the large islands like NP and GB that have high unemployment and drug problems are problem spots. Both of the cases I have first hand knowledge about were in Nassau. The constable that investigated told my friend that he would have to stay there for a few days so they could file reports and start the investigation (BTW items like that are never returned to the owner) he decided to leave and file a claim stateside with his insurance company. The constable alluded that most Americans do exactly that so there are very few complaints filed. Helps the crime statistics. :)

At one time Bimini was bad, during the 70s and 80s. The era of all making money on weed smuggling and smoking and easy work.

My engine is a 1990s 15hp Johnson. Doesn't look all that good.

Cardude: I wouldn't tow our dinghy across the Gulf Stream but I would going between anchorages, in settled weather, in the Abacos. As far as having your dinghy stolen, I'd go ahead and leave in the water if you're not in a marina. Just lock it up at night.

We just back to JAX yesterday and we hadn't heard of any dinghy losses this winter other than owners not tyimg them up correctly at night. :facepalm:

Would a cable and lock suitable for a motorcycle be sufficient for tender security? How good are those locks that go across the outboard clamps?

Cardude

Don't worry about Johnsons, Yahamas are the outboard of choice to the natives.

Locks on the outboard itself doesn't stop someone from taking everything.

Just make up a long SS cable with thimbles on each end and run it through say the handle on you OD and some hard point on you dink. Then lock it off to your boat.

A simple thing like that, that slows the theft process down and perhaps adds to the noise involved in stealing the dink is about all you need to do deter a thief in most cases.

Also leave any exterior lights on on the mothership of you have them.

Got my Explorer chart book in the mail yesterday. Looking at the chart, it looks like the route from Lake Worth to memory rock is the closest route from Stuart, where the boat is now.

Is anchoring out somewhere around memory rock possible?

Also, saw this in the Explorer chart book. Says I need this decal?
IMG_0175.jpg

Yes, you need a decal.

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#

Also you should register in the Small Vessel Reporting System (Local Boater Option). When you register you will be asked to come for an interview unless you are already in a trusted traveler program such as Global Entry. They didn't actually interview my wife, just took her letter and came back with her registration.

With the SVRS you file a float plan with the SRVS numbers of those on board then just make a call when you first dock on coming back and they will clear you over the phone in most cases. This will save you having to leave the boat and get a taxi to the closest airport to check-in in person.

Actually you do not need a decal. It's nice to have but not mandatory.

But LBO really makes checking back into the states easy.

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Default.aspx

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/pleasure-boat-locations/fl

Also you do not have file a float plan to use LBO.

Here are the 800 numbers you can use to contact US Customs/Homeland Security when you get back.

(800) 432-1216
(800) 451-0393

Normally they do clear you over the phone. And as long as you and your passengers have LBO numbers none of you will need to report to immigration in person after clearing in by phone.

Last edited:
Cardude, check up on the decal. It is my belief that it is required for boats over 30 feet to enter the US.

Cardude, check up on the decal. It is my belief that it is required for boats over 30 feet to enter the US.

I take boats over 30' back and forth from the Bahamas all the time with and without a decal. Never had an issue yet when the boat didn't have one.

Just say'n.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We used SVRS last year. They told us that it was mandatory to have a decal for boats over 30'. We got the decal. Port Huron, MI CBP didn't have a clue about SVRS. They had to open up an online tutorial to see how to sign us up. When we returned they told us our BR numbers were not valid... turns out SVRS is not used her much. Took a couple of calls but finally got an agent that was great and got it taken care of.

You might get away not having one, but in today's world not following the rules in regards to CBP would not be my choice. It is like having a broken tail light to a cop that wants a reason to give a ticket.

The decal sure makes life easy, we also registered the two of us to make it even easier. One phone call and customs gives us a number to prove we cleared.

We used SVRS last year. They told us that it was mandatory to have a decal for boats over 30'. We got the decal. Port Huron, MI CBP didn't have a clue about SVRS. They had to open up an online tutorial to see how to sign us up. When we returned they told us our BR numbers were not valid... turns out SVRS is not used her much. Took a couple of calls but finally got an agent that was great and got it taken care of.

We use SVRS and make sure all our passengers are also signed up and in the system. Hate it in FLL for guests to have to go to the airport. Last time we had a guest not in the system, we took the easy way out and cleared in West Palm.

Yes, in areas of the Great Lakes we found many who didn't know what SVRS is. They were all big on NEXUS. We've never been enrolled in NEXUS for either our travels in the PNW or the Great Lakes. If you don't live in a neighboring area, getting it set up for all your guests is just not very practical.

We did have to give several lessons on SVRS. I remember once they said they'd have to check on it and asked if they could call us back in a few minutes.

The funniest was one who asked us, "How come I never heard of this?" Fortunately, Stephanie was speaking to him and very nicely said, "I don't know, Sir. Seems it's not used much up here."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom