First trip to the Bahamas--need a plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But you proposed wasting a big part of a fish just to have one meal.....bad juju.....

LOL.

The comment was really more for RT since he likes playing thought police, but in all seriousness just filet the fish eat what you want freeeze the rest and toss the carcass in the fishbox if youre afraid of getting caught.

Well....different law enforcement regimes can make a case even with filets in the freezer....

The Fish and Game guys in Alaska said freezers were fair game for RV's and some vessels.

So the risk might be low, but the law and where you are can be brutal for some dang silly reasons.

Catching a fish on the way over out of Bahamian waters and bringing it in to the Bahamas is really a non-issue.

Well....different law enforcement regimes can make a case even with filets in the freezer....

The Fish and Game guys in Alaska said freezers were fair game for RV's and some vessels.

So the risk might be low, but the law and where you are can be brutal for some dang silly reasons.

Yes, and coming back in from the bahamas is different. Gear has to be stowed, and zero fishing allowed. But as long as you have a carcass (for filets) so they can determine type and legal size its ok. But if they board and you dont have one and they are in a bad mood, life can really suk that day.

Catching a fish on the way over out of Bahamian waters and bringing it in to the Bahamas is really a non-issue.

I sort of figured...and seaching pleasure boat freezers is highly unlikely...it was the wasting of a fish that triggered the LEO in me. :eek:

I'm the words worst fisherman so for me, much if this conversation is moot.

The chances of a novice catching a queen snapper is almost zilch. ��

Maybe I don't want to buy a fishing pole for my new boat

I just remembered about an AC problem I have and wonder if I should tackle the issue now (replace the unit) or just wait.

One of my AC units has evaporator fins that are corroding away for some reason. I've cleaned it multiple times and let it dry out, but the fin residue is literally blowing out the vents. It still cools fine, but makes a bit of a mess.

Is there anything that could stop this corrosion?

It is a Marine Air Systems unit (now Dometic I think). Doesn't look like it would be that hard to swap in a new unit.

Is there a unit I should stay away from. The cheapest I've seen is this-- $1565.
IMG_0073.jpg. This doesn't seem to be the same Marine Air Systems that I have however. Is this a cheap knockoff brand?

Greetings,
Mr. Bf. "The chances of a novice catching a queen snapper is almost zilch." From what little I know, the chances of catching a QS is less than zilch while trolling. I suppose it has happened but...

I just remembered about an AC problem I have and wonder if I should tackle the issue now (replace the unit) or just wait.

One of my AC units has evaporator fins that are corroding away for some reason. I've cleaned it multiple times and let it dry out, but the fin residue is literally blowing out the vents. It still cools fine, but makes a bit of a mess.

It is a Marine Air Systems unit (now Dometic I think). Doesn't look like it would be that hard to swap in a new unit.

Is there a unit I should stay away from. The cheapest I've seen is this-- $1565.
View attachment 64824. This doesn't seem to be the same Marine Air Systems that I have however. Is this a cheap knockoff brand?
They are the same units I bought and gave been flawless for 1.5 years.

Early questions were met with great customer support.

They have been in business like 15 years or so.they are not newbies at a "cheap price"....just not lIvins oFF a overy rice reputation.

I might have gone with Wabasto had they fit, the Marin Aire have been great.

View attachment 64824. This doesn't seem to be the same Marine Air Systems that I have however. Is this a cheap knockoff brand?

i wouldn't overthink it. I'd stay with Dometic. They're the safe standby, serviced everywhere.

Thanks.

I've heard the Webasto units are quieter and hold up better as far as corrosion? This current unit I have is really loud IMO.

Is this a swap a person with general skills can do? Or will the electrical throw me for a loop?

i wouldn't overthink it. I'd stay with Dometic. They're the safe standby, serviced everywhere.

AC systems are all basically the same....a specialty but not rocket science,

The Marin Aire 16K system actually has pressure guages installed for trouble shooting, not like the other overpriced systems.

Either way, any self contained unit can be pulled out and taken to any local AC guy, no need for a marine guy who is charging travel to boot and historically...most are not all that good anyway in my experience....always trying to keep costs down but missing the real problem because they are charging travel time.

Marin Aire is in the Miami area, so they just might be a better deal in that neck of the woods.

Thanks.

I've heard the Webasto units are quieter and hold up better as far as corrosion? This current unit I have is really loud IMO.

Is this a swap a person with general skills can do? Or will the electrical throw me for a loop?

Any newer unit is going to be quieter than an older unit.

I couldn't answer the general skills question as when it comes to those things I don't have "general skills."

The 16K unit for Marin Aire has a separate enclosure for just itself.

All 3 of my units (6, 9, & 16K) units are very quiet...the loudest part is the fan noise and that is a function of how you duct it....but that is true of ALL manufacturers.

Someone recommend Ocean Breeze, supposedly manufactured in Stuart FL (where the boat is). Said they are quieter and better built than others?

What's a good price for a 16000 BTU unit? I would like to use my same water pump-- it currently provides cooling water for both 16000 units.

Thanks.

It's a simple swap out if everything lines up the same or very close.

Once the fins corrode away there is nothing you could do but have the coils replaced.

But it's really not worth it. Just get a new unit.

Now would be a good time to figure out if you could use a few more BTUs.
And take a look at the path of the return air. Boat builders do a consistently horrible job of insuring that the return air takes a direct path to the coils and is not being drawn from everywhere but the room the unit is intended to cool.

It's a simple swap out if everything lines up the same or very close.

Once the fins corrode away there is nothing you could do but have the coils replaced.

But it's really not worth it. Just get a new unit.

Now would be a good time to figure out if you could use a few more BTUs.
And take a look at the path of the return air. Boat builders do a consistently horrible job of insuring that the return air takes a direct path to the coils and is not being drawn from everywhere but the room the unit is intended to cool.

As far as return air, I'm sure mine is not set up well. It just sits in an area behind a solid cabinet door, and there is a small 4x4" hole cut in the side of that area for air return from the guest quarters, but no direct path to the coils. It's just a hole. This unit also cools the PH, and there is no return air vent at all for the PH. Should there be a hose connected to the from the return air vent to the coils somehow? The unit has always seemed to cool OK regardless of the poor setup.

Thinking more about this, the forward AC unit also has no real return air vent, and it sits in the area behind the trash can. So, I guess it sucks the return air across the open-top trash can. It also sucks return air from the bilge where the black water tank and valves are located. [emoji31]

Last edited:
Senor RT

"Trolling". ROTFLMAO.

That will last me all day. Thank you sir!

For those not familiar with queen snapper they are caught by deep dropping in 450 plus feet. I have caught them in 650 to 800 feet.

As far as return air, I'm sure mine is not set up well. It just sits in an area behind a solid cabinet door, and there is a small 4x4" hole cut in the side of that area for air return from the guest quarters, but no direct path to the coils. It's just a hole. This unit also cools the PH, and there is no return air vent at all for the PH. Should there be a hose connected to the from the return air vent to the coils somehow? The unit has always seemed to cool OK regardless of the poor setup.

Thinking more about this, the forward AC unit also has no real return air vent, and it sits in the area behind the trash can. So, I guess it sucks the return air across the open-top trash can. It also sucks return air from the bilge where the black water tank and valves are located. [emoji31]

That all sounds like a standard boat manufacturers idea of a proper A/C installation. :rofl:

While there may be a "best" marine air conditioner.....how can you really tell?

As far as quieter....again...all the new ones are quiet enough it is the airflow from the vents that usually produces the most noise depending on how long the ducting runs are.

Some swear by neanderthal type electrical components and off the shelf relays....sounds great...do you buy anything else by those standards?

Noisy air conditioners are irritating, especially when they don't have to be loud. Builders often put the units right against a louvered vent, so all the noise is right there. Pushing the unit back a foot or 2 and installing a couple of simple baffles to break the line of sight will just about kill all the noise from an air handler. Ducting return air with a few turns in the path works well also. Care needs to be taken not to "choke " the units for air, minimum size for any path should be = to return grille on unit. For self contained units additional isolation is helpful, especially for units mounted under seating or berths.

$0.02 :socool:

Greetings,
Mr. Bf. "The chances of a novice catching a queen snapper is almost zilch." From what little I know, the chances of catching a QS is less than zilch while trolling. I suppose it has happened but...

well just for you.

show up with a yellow tail or a queen, they will know you were bottom fishing or deep dropping in the queens case before you cleared and got a license. Bottom fish will start lots of questions.

there dont you feel better knowing the obvious details.

Last edited:
I can tell you exactly what effects the gulf stream had on our 38 Marine Trader. We made the trip from Bimini to Rodriguez Key 2 days ago. I aimed for Anglefish cut to shorten the time in the gulf stream. I put in a "go to" a couple miles off of Anglefish Cut which is 61 miles at a heading of 242deg from Bimini. In flat still water, our boat runs 8.5 mph at 1600rpm. I held the boat on this line with an AP that is not connected to the chartplotter. Only a couple of degrees to starboard or port as the current changed was needed. Leaving Bimini, our speed was 7 to 7.5 mph dropping all the way to 5 to 5.5 mph at the strongest part of the stream. In the strongest current we were pointed about 10deg south of the line we were running. Speed picks back up as you approach the keys and the hard stream current stopped about 10 miles off the reef at Anglefish Cut.
Here is the interesting part...there is an eddy effect that runs in front of the reef with current moving in an opposite direction from the stream. Our speed rose to 9.5 to 9.75mph as we moved on down to Rodriguez Key on the outside of the reef for about 16 miles before we cut over the reef.
All total 89 miles in 13 hours overall average 6.8 miles an hour.
Mind you this is almost worst case scenario as we were nearly moving directly into the stream at some points.
All situations are different but this is what happened to us.
I also recommend a call to Chris Parker for a personal weather forecast for your route if you are unsure at all.

Noisy air conditioners are irritating, especially when they don't have to be loud. Builders often put the units right against a louvered vent, so all the noise is right there. Pushing the unit back a foot or 2 and installing a couple of simple baffles to break the line of sight will just about kill all the noise from an air handler. Ducting return air with a few turns in the path works well also. Care needs to be taken not to "choke " the units for air, minimum size for any path should be = to return grille on unit. For self contained units additional isolation is helpful, especially for units mounted under seating or berths.

$0.02 :socool:

that 2 cents is definitely worth a dollar. the approach works great for gennys too.

It's true, I have often found a counter stream direction along the edge especially on the US side. I have found days when the stream had a southerly or no flow. Not often in50 plus years.

Back
Top Bottom