Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #21
City: Seabrook TX
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
As I was heading west back home, the first storm you see is moving south, away from my destination. As I neared my marina, the storm north of me turned from a regular looking southtexas thunderstorm into a wall cloud in about 15 min. I have never seen anything like it in south Texas near the coast. That was a north Texas or Oklahoma storm that got lost.
The really big wind lasted about 5/7 min so I do not think it was a micro or down burst.

Anyone notice the chairs that were sucked out of the mid-deck on the first big blow.
They were retrieved later.
Top wind clocked at 78mph
My boat was fine and we bent the mid-deck bimini back into shape.
There was alot of light damage around (trees and bimini tops) but the worst thing was someone lost a finger fending off a dock in the channel outside our marina.

I had no idea it was going to blow like that. I should have been prepping the boat for a blow instead of shooting video but you can get stupid with a camera in your hand. I think if I were sucked off the top of my boat by a tornado, I would have kept shooting and hoping that someone found my camera. Lesson learned, take care of the boat first and video second.

Steveg353 is offline   Reply With Quote