Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #41

City: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
DING DING DING!!!!

Mr. Scher, you need to meditate on this post for awhile!!! This is good stuff!!!

Oh, I've read that several times. Believe me.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I was wondering when Rick would step and be counted on this.

This is even more devissive than anchors.
Northern Lights saying "run em hard" and Steve DeAntionio say'in 75% load 75% of the time. And then so many saying it dosn't amount to anything. Run'em however.

I am, however, moved mostly by what engine manufacturers say.

The boats mostly are only well suited to those that can afford them new. They can easily handle the fuel cost but when the boat gets old and cheap the people buying them can't gracefully afford the fuel so we find twin engined boats running around on one engine. Not the way they were intended to be used and far from ideal for numerous reasons but adhered to out of necessity.

So if the engine dies one has the opportunity to install an engine more suitable to their needs. But then the hull isn't suitable to their engine. And twin engined guys have few options unless they can find a cheap used engine the same as the original. I'd present the obvious solution to the delima but some would say "we've heard that before Eric".

But to be sure "run what you have" is the best temporary solution and employed by most.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #43
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
As a happy “Pleasure” Boater – currently running a gasser, and, being a TF member who is somewhat familiar with diesel boats from past experiences... I often lurk reading threads about Diesels...

WOW... the never ending multi-multi person diatribes... of so many different statements and predictions and frustrations and wishes regarding much-trouble/no-trouble, how-to-run/how-not-to-run, which-is-best/which-is-worst, I-love-it/I-hate-it... throughout ongoing conjectures as well as apparently practical experiences regarding most if not all makes, models, types, and levels of diesel marine engines.

It Simply Makes One Wonder – WHY Do You Even Bother to “Pleasure” Boat???

SOOOO... I’ve been reading these same diesel engine related discussions (arguments?) for years on end in hundreds (a thousand maybe?) of posts on various forums. I’ve also listened to many boaters describe their torrid affairs with type and size diesels. In addition I’ve listened to boaters’ who have love affairs with many different type diesels... I term them: perfectly happy diesel “Pleasure” Boaters!

Reason I mention the above: Little effort, low maintenance cost, seldom breakdown, affordable replacement (if needed), and quiet during operation – IMPORTANTLY – Little to No Gas Engine Owner’s Needing to Argue for Time in Memorial!!!

This has probably been said before, but here it goes again – Be it Gas or Diesel – Use your “Pleasure” Boat as best you can. If a motor breaks down – repair it! In other words, simply put caps on the word “PLEASURE” in Boating – and, enjoy boat life!

Due to this post... I can see the arrows, whose heads are dripping with diesel fuel, flying toward me...!!! LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #44
Guru

City: Cleveland
ART>>>> "Due to this post... I can see the arrows, whose heads are dripping with diesel fuel, flying toward me...!!! LOL"

I have you in my sights!!!! LOL!!! Great post!

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #45
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We been a live aboard for 16+ years, and the main reason is my wife bought a big enough boat that gives each of us our own space, has the creature comforts, fuel efficient, low maintenance, wide body to max living space, and long rang capable. Since the Eagle is big and stable we don't stow/store stuff and can be underway in 15 minutes in the protected in land waters of the PNW. Neither my wife nor I carry a purse and being a live aboard we do not have much STUFF.

If you are going to dream then dream big!

Don’t worry Art the arrows are headed in my direction.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #46
FF
Guru

>So if the engine dies one has the opportunity to install an engine more suitable to their needs.<

The problem is the folks that purchase Cheap Boats frequently do not have the skill set to marinize and then change out a bad engine.

A yard doing the work , (unless its a gas IO) will cost more for their labor than the boat can be replaced for.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
As a happy “Pleasure” Boater – currently running a gasser, and, being a TF member who is somewhat familiar with diesel boats from past experiences... I often lurk reading threads about Diesels...

WOW... the never ending multi-multi person diatribes... of so many different statements and predictions and frustrations and wishes regarding much-trouble/no-trouble, how-to-run/how-not-to-run, which-is-best/which-is-worst, I-love-it/I-hate-it... throughout ongoing conjectures as well as apparently practical experiences regarding most if not all makes, models, types, and levels of diesel marine engines.

It Simply Makes One Wonder – WHY Do You Even Bother to “Pleasure” Boat???

SOOOO... I’ve been reading these same diesel engine related discussions (arguments?) for years on end in hundreds (a thousand maybe?) of posts on various forums. I’ve also listened to many boaters describe their torrid affairs with type and size diesels. In addition I’ve listened to boaters’ who have love affairs with many different type diesels... I term them: perfectly happy diesel “Pleasure” Boaters!

Reason I mention the above: Little effort, low maintenance cost, seldom breakdown, affordable replacement (if needed), and quiet during operation – IMPORTANTLY – Little to No Gas Engine Owner’s Needing to Argue for Time in Memorial!!!

This has probably been said before, but here it goes again – Be it Gas or Diesel – Use your “Pleasure” Boat as best you can. If a motor breaks down – repair it! In other words, simply put caps on the word “PLEASURE” in Boating – and, enjoy boat life!

Due to this post... I can see the arrows, whose heads are dripping with diesel fuel, flying toward me...!!! LOL
You don't need to convince this dude!!! I am out there all the time!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #48
Art
Guru

Quote:
You don't need to convince this dude!!! I am out there all the time!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #49
TF Site Team

Load her up with girls...what's not to enjoy??!!!! And this Is a good view of a "proper" swim platform with molded in steps and handrail!!!!....which solves one of the sundeck dilemmas!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1665844891.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	23762
Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #50
Art
Guru

Quote:
Load her up with girls...what's not to enjoy??!!!! And this Is a good view of a "proper" swim platform with molded in steps and handrail!!!!....which solves one of the sundeck dilemmas!!!!

Attachment 23762
Eyes on 2nd from bottom tells me you may deal in the occult! Vamps, maybe??
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Nahhh...those are all really good girls...dunno what they are doing with me???...
Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #52
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Eyes on 2nd from bottom tells me you may deal in the occult! Vamps, maybe??
Geez, Art! You noticed the eyes?

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #53
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Geez, Art! You noticed the eyes?
Yup - I am a thinker!

Eyes = Gateway to the mind. Capture the mind and soul usually follows. Get both in tow and suddenly no cloths needed!!

Why remain in fantasy when the real thing is readily available. Many say it’s in the kiss, well, that is true to some extent... but, by looking into the eyes you can usually determine what kind of kiss you should start with.

Then, if lucky for both parties - - > Much Fun Could Ensue! – LOL

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #54

City: Central Ohio
I sense a disturbance in the thread...