First Post, Trawler Shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

remwines

Vessel Name
Down East Yankee
Vessel Make
Defever 40 by Down East
Hello to all. I have been looking in on the Trawler Forum for some time, but this is the first time I have needed to ask a few questions. I have been around trailerable ocean boats most of my life, but my wife and I decided to step up to a 36' to 42' trawler. The forum has provided great information about every confirguation out there, exect the one I have an eye on. It is custom built 41' out of British Columbia, 1970, fiberglass simi displacement hull based on a Brandlmyar fishing trawler design. It is a trunk style/tri-cabin with classic trawler lines. Biggest differance is that it doen't have a lot of teak on the exterior, but interior is typical trawler. I fish, so I am considering this boat because it is sort of a cross between a classic trawler and work boat. Is anyone out there familiar with these boats?

My biggest concern right now are the engines. It has a pair of Ford Sabre 2704ET 180 HP turbos. I have read that these engines smoke like mad at cold startup, but clean up when warmed and under load. Are parts hard to find? With a 35,000lb simi displacement boat, I question how the fuel economy might be. I also have a copy of an older survey which shows that it has a Borg Warner 2.10:1 with 24 x 22.5 prop at Port and Borg Warner 1.91:1 with 24 x 19.5 at Starboard. Is there a good reason for this, or did they just toss in an available transmission and prop to come close to the other? I have many more questions, but these are my primary concerns for now.

Thanks to all. I am looking forward to be part of your community.

I question how the fuel economy might be.

Most semi disp will deliver 1 nmpg at high cruise.

Back
Top Bottom