Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Mt. Pleasant
Vessel Name: Paws Aboard
Vessel Model: 45 Californian
First Oil Change

Made the first oil change on our new to us 37 Albin Sundeck. Being a died in the wool DIY'er I Read the engine and gen set manuals, bought the filters, pre-measured measured the oil, had all tools, a willing neighbor to help and empty 5 gallon oil buckets for used oil. As with most first time jobs I started with simplest first. Changed oil in genset in no time. This is easy. Warmed up port engine, hooked up the ingenious oil pump system PO had made and started pumping. Sat back in hatch opening and told my neighbor helping me "this is a piece of cake". A few seconds later my neighbor asked "what is that black stuff on engine room floor?" OS. A hole in the 5 gallon bucket receiving spent oil. Panic. Hundred yard dash down dock to house to get trash can. About 3 quarts of oil In bilge. Two hour clean up and finally back at it. Removed old filter, put it in a bucket, installed new filter and started to refill engine with fresh oil. Neighbor holds funnel so I can pour pre-measured oil from 5 gallon bucket. Easy street again. Notice oil running down side of engine. Discovered you can pour more oil into funnel than can flow through block into oil pan. Hour clean up. With lessons learned from port engine we start on second engine. Use empty 5 gallon bucket from other engine to catch spent oil this time. Finally going well. Suddenly turn around in spacious engine room and discover I kicked over bucket containing oil filter from first engine. Another quart of oil in bilge In different location. Have to remove part of engine room floor this time. Three hour cleanup. Most good lessons are expensive. Fortunately This one only cost me an extra 6 hours. Nothing like the satisfaction I'd DIY.
creekcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cc. If I missed you, welcome aboard. Your narrative of your DIY project should go into the "sticky" "Boat Buying 101". Well written and VERY true to form. Thanks...Mission accomplished!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Don't feel like you're the only one to have those problems. You'll learn from them and next time it'll be a piece of cake.Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. cc. If I missed you, welcome aboard. Your narrative of your DIY project should go into the "sticky" "Boat Buying 101". Well written and VERY true to form. Thanks...Mission accomplished!

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekcrab View Post
Made the first oil change on our new to us 37 Albin Sundeck. Being a died in the wool DIY'er I Read the engine and gen set manuals, bought the filters, pre-measured measured the oil, had all tools, a willing neighbor to help and empty 5 gallon oil buckets for used oil. As with most first time jobs I started with simplest first. Changed oil in genset in no time. This is easy. Warmed up port engine, hooked up the ingenious oil pump system PO had made and started pumping. Sat back in hatch opening and told my neighbor helping me "this is a piece of cake". A few seconds later my neighbor asked "what is that black stuff on engine room floor?" OS. A hole in the 5 gallon bucket receiving spent oil. Panic. Hundred yard dash down dock to house to get trash can. About 3 quarts of oil In bilge. Two hour clean up and finally back at it. Removed old filter, put it in a bucket, installed new filter and started to refill engine with fresh oil. Neighbor holds funnel so I can pour pre-measured oil from 5 gallon bucket. Easy street again. Notice oil running down side of engine. Discovered you can pour more oil into funnel than can flow through block into oil pan. Hour clean up. With lessons learned from port engine we start on second engine. Use empty 5 gallon bucket from other engine to catch spent oil this time. Finally going well. Suddenly turn around in spacious engine room and discover I kicked over bucket containing oil filter from first engine. Another quart of oil in bilge In different location. Have to remove part of engine room floor this time. Three hour cleanup. Most good lessons are expensive. Fortunately This one only cost me an extra 6 hours. Nothing like the satisfaction I'd DIY.
Congratulations on your new boat. If we ever meet on the water, I'll come over to YOUR boat to visit.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
Sounds like you are actually a little better than the guys I pay by the hour to do projects on my boat, since you learn from your mistakes.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard, and thanks for an entertaining account of the oil change. I've been changing engine oil (initially on sailboat and now on trawler) for many, many years now, and have yet to not have at least some mess. I think it is just part of the fun of owning a boat.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Another hour this morning. It is amazing how oil gets behind and under the wiring conduits. I will need a double session at confession this morning at church..
Old 10-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #9

City: Oakland,Ca
I have a new boat too. The PO had her mechanic on the boat to a service so I have t had to do an oil change yet, but after checking oil and coolant in both engines and genset, it's pretty clear that its going to be a pain. I was wondering if anyone has installed a bottom drain system for the motors to make it easier.
What I was imagining was a drain plug with a shut-off and a barb on each engine and a line between the two with a shut off and a barb in the center where you could hook up a vacuum pump and draw the oil out of one or both engines from an easily accessible location.
Is there already a system for this, or do I have to make it from scratch?
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
I have a new boat too. The PO had her mechanic on the boat to a service so I have t had to do an oil change yet, but after checking oil and coolant in both engines and genset, it's pretty clear that its going to be a pain. I was wondering if anyone has installed a bottom drain system for the motors to make it easier.
What I was imagining was a drain plug with a shut-off and a barb on each engine and a line between the two with a shut off and a barb in the center where you could hook up a vacuum pump and draw the oil out of one or both engines from an easily accessible location.
Is there already a system for this, or do I have to make it from scratch?

We have a Reverso unit plumbed to the bottom of our Main engine, Tranny, Genny, and Wing engine.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1414352545.832128.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  47.8 KB
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 10-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
We have a Reverso unit plumbed to the bottom of our Main engine, Tranny, Genny, and Wing engine.
Attachment 33894
Are you happy with the Reverso?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #12

City: Oakland,Ca
Does reverso make the plumbing parts too? I'm thinking the drain plug is going to be the only tricky part, but it could be easily made from a regular plug.
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Are you happy with the Reverso?

Only have done two oils changes, but happy thus far. Don't have to get my hands dirty. Changing the filters is the only possible messy part.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 10-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Does reverso make the plumbing parts too? I'm thinking the drain plug is going to be the only tricky part, but it could be easily made from a regular plug.

I believe so. We just have regular ball vales at the bottom of the pan.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Mine has nipple threaded into drain plug followed by 90 degree bend another nipple and a ball valve followed by another nipple with a cap screwed onto the end of the nipple. The PO configured a regular water pump with an on/off switch, color coded leads with alligator clips and hose attached to intake and discharge of pump. Hose is sized to slip tightly over the pipe nipples. Other than the adventure I described in original post it was very easy.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #16
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:

Depending on the thread size/pitch and the shape of the drain port on the pan,you maybe able to use a banjo fitting and bolt.This one pictured is 14mm.There are many sizes available.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #17

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
At least you didn't have to pay someone to come "fix" something you broke - that's salt in the wound... just be sure the sea cock is open before you start your gen... or engine... some of us didn't..
Old 10-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #18
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I use a Pela Pro 14 oil extractor, small tube inserts into dipstick tube and sucks out the warm oil.
Pela Pro 14 at OilChangeKits.com
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Guru

City: gulf coast
I use my oil drain pump in reverse to fill the engines.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I use my oil drain pump in reverse to fill the engines.
Me too. I thought this was normal lol.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote