Old 11-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Guru

First Night Aboard

Well I can honestly say that the first night aboard even your third boat is not an easy nights sleep. Mary and I spent our first night aboard La Tempestad (Nordhavn 3522) Tuesday and it was as restless a night as we experienced with our previous two Nordhavn's. I found myself playing with the heater settings, checking power draw on the amp meter, playing with cable TV settings and listening to every sound as I tried to familiarize myself with the boat. Even our small dog who we let sleep at the foot of the bed made it known she missed her real bed at home. I don't think any of us got any real sleep.
Then we had the interior crew showing up at 1000hrs to take measurements (very bad planning on my part and Mary let me know it). We made it through the morning though it was not easy. We even took the boat out for a couple of hours. Again I found myself nervously listening, feeling and smelling everything as we motored around the bay. Stuffing box was running a little hot so we made the outing short as I kept trying to loosen up the coupling and get some water to drip which appears I did once we back at the dock. One nice thing about a smaller boat is how easy it is to wash and dry the hull after being out on the water.

Last night we had dinner at an old favorite Mexican restaurant along with a couple of margaritas and slept much better! Waking up on the water is sure a great feeling. I think we made the right choice returning to boating.

John T.

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: somewhere
Those first few nights can be uneasy indeed.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Well I can honestly say that the first night aboard even your third boat is not an easy nights sleep. Mary and I spent our first night aboard La Tempestad (Nordhavn 3522) Tuesday and it was as restless a night as we experienced with our previous two Nordhavn's. I found myself playing with the heater settings, checking power draw on the amp meter, playing with cable TV settings and listening to every sound as I tried to familiarize myself with the boat. Even our small dog who we let sleep at the foot of the bed made it known she missed her real bed at home. I don't think any of us got any real sleep. Then we had the interior crew showing up at 1000hrs to take measurements (very bad planning on my part and Mary let me know it). We made it through the morning though it was not easy. We even took the boat out for a couple of hours. Again I found myself nervously listening, feeling and smelling everything as we motored around the bay. Stuffing box was running a little hot so we made the outing short as I kept trying to loosen up the coupling and get some water to drip which appears I did once we back at the dock. One nice thing about a smaller boat is how easy it is to wash and dry the hull after being out on the water. Last night we had dinner at an old favorite Mexican restaurant along with a couple of margaritas and slept much better! Waking up on the water is sure a great feeling. I think we made the right choice returning to boating. John T.
Glad to hear the second night you got real sleep! Any pics for us ?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Look at the bright side....from here it can only get better!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pensacola
Don't try to chase a stuffing box.

Adjust as needed underway. Expect it to leak for a short time after you come dockside. It will cool and relax and the drips will slow. When it's cool, tighten down to about 6-8 drips a minute when not running.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Why are all the little sounds appear so loud. What is that noise. Oh, its my dog snoring. Another noise. A water pump. just get to sleep and the vacu flush runs up pressure..Finally in a deep sleep. Oh no, here comes the sun light. Maybe Gortex stuffing would solve your leak.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #7

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
Hats off to new experiences. After a month or so it will be sounds to put you to sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

City: QCYC SEATTLE
Vessel Name: SURPRISE
Vessel Model: Uniflite 37 Coastal Cruiser
So, you slept better the second night. Excellent. Dos mas margaritas, por favor!

We're into year 4 with the old Uni. The wife snores. The cat snores. I snore, or so I'm told. Our home moorage is close to a freeway. We wear ear plugs! Only at the dock! When we're on the hook, I'm always on Worry Watch...
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
...I will start that operation in April, God wish
Old 11-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
After a month or so it will be sounds to put you to sleep.
How true. Becoming familiar with how often, how long, and how loud each sound is eventually comforting. The hull of a boat is like the bell of a guitar that resonates everything you need to know. Soon, it'll be music.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
What worries me is when there are NO sounds! That gets me right up out of bed :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
How true. Becoming familiar with how often, how long, and how loud each sound is eventually comforting. The hull of a boat is like the bell of a guitar that resonates everything you need to know. Soon, it'll be music.
Amen!
I sleep better aboard than I do ashore, as soon as I get used to the sounds.

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote