First Major Repair!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dahonez

Vessel Name
FishVicious
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38PH Trawler
Well , it's finally happened and we're stuck here for at least a week waiting for a new prop. Ro-sham-bo with granite and "rock beats scissors.":banghead: We don't have a spare so the old prop will be repaired and be our spare. The new prop will have a different pitch so will be an improvement.:dance:

I guess it's our time. Bought the boat in 2014....our first boat. Learned to drive and navigate in the Puget Sound, thanks Scott! Discovered the Inside Passage so took the boat to Glacier Bay, back around Cape Scott and outside Vancouver Island. Down the Pacific Coast to the Panama Canal. Back to the US via the Keys and now in the Georgian Bay by way of the Loop, 2019.:speed boat:

On this side of Canada they want $1400 Canadian to haul and block. United Propeller wanted $5500 Canadian for a new prop. How do Canadians afford to boat? Ordered Michigan Wheel(same prop) from Discount Prop in Florida for $1700. Looking for a diver but no one is returning my calls.

Geez! Thank God our boat has been so reliable...can't take too many more budgetary hits like this.:nonono::nonono: Hey, anyone know of a cheap prop that can slice through granite???:rofl:

Well you got the right boating attitude. Fix and continue on journey.

I took my props off last winter to have them reworked. The prop shop sent me a pulller that didn’t come close to getting them off. I made one that worked well but I don’t see how a diver would have been able to get it off in the water. It cost $980 each to get them reworked and since the boat was in the barn for the winter there weren’t any haul charges. But the vibration is now gone. Good luck.

I took my props off last winter to have them reworked. The prop shop sent me a pulller that didn’t come close to getting them off. I made one that worked well but I don’t see how a diver would have been able to get it off in the water. It cost $980 each to get them reworked and since the boat was in the barn for the winter there weren’t any haul charges. But the vibration is now gone. Good luck.
Yikes. We have 24" bronze props, cost us $1200 in 2015 in Coeymans, NY. Ouch, don't lose a prop in Canada.

Mine were 24x24s and they changed the pitch down to 23 1/2”. They were beautiful and I sorta hated to put them in the water.

There is the For Sale section here, Boats and Harbors and Craig's list .

A spare prop, needed on board any cruiser, can be found with lots of time invested in looking.

Can the pitch of a pitch be measured while boat is on a trailer? I wouldn't want to buy "just any old prop" from an Albin-25; too many engine/prop combinations out there.

"I wouldn't want to buy "just any old prop" from an Albin-25; too many engine/prop combinations out there."

The hubs of most props are stamped with both pitch and diameter.
Even a plastic caliper will measure shaft size.

IN USA tapers are standard to shaft diameter.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm getting the costs closer to average. The old prop has been re-pitched twice as the old numbers are xx-ed out. Called the major Helmsman distributor in Seattle, Scott Helker. He was traveling to Maryland but got right back to me! Told me all the specs for the prop based on the model and engine. My boat was built in 2010 prior to Scott taking over so he's refined the pitch to better fit this boat. The dude's a class act.

Back
Top Bottom