Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
TF Site Team
City: Iselton, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Yep, about the same as I burn when I'm driving my pickup down the interstate. The difference is I travel about 75 miles in my truck and only about eight or nine miles in the boat. But I have WAY more fun in the boat during that one hour. Now, if you can convince your better half that my logic makes sense, then you'll be a happy boat owner...
LOL luckily my husband and I are on the same page about this. Someone on the forum (sorry I have an awful memory. Moonstruck maybe?) pointed out that if you think about the $$ you spend on fuel for a wonderful day on the water it is probably less money and more enjoyment than dinner and a movie. Now don't start thinking about ALL the $$ the boat is costing... just that day on the water versus doing something else. I hate missing a weekend on the boat!

Welcome third reef! My only boating down your way was a commerical boat trip out to Santa Cruz island. Beautiful! How long have you had Fleur De Lys?

Pineapple Girl II 1984 PT 35
San Joaquin Delta
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
On my roughly 500 mile maiden voyage with my 34 Mainship we burned a pretty consistent 3 GPH at 8-8.5 kts. I have a series 4 6.354 Perkins, my manuals list it as 220 or 240 HP (don't remember which right now). This was with a month old bottom job.

TIME well wasted
34' Mainship III
Cape Coral, FL
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member
City: Santa Barbara, California
Vessel Name: Fleur De Lys
Vessel Model: 1988 Nova 36 Sundeck
We took possetion of our boat 12/28/11 in San Pedro. Took it to Dana Point on 12/31/11 and into a sublet slip. We have now secured a 2 year 43" slip in Santa Barbara. We thought that 43" slip was way over kill, but when they measured us with the bow sprit and the inflatable in the davits we measured 45' 3".

We live in Nevada City and are considering bringing the boat up to the delta for the summer. It probably will not happen this year with our schedules and lack of vacation time. Does anybody have any first hand experience with bringing a trawler up to the SF bay from SB? I think i could do it in one day hops. Cojo to Port San Luis, next to San Simeon, next to Monterey, next to Half Moon Bay, then to SF.

I don't think i could get the mileage that twisted got. Might get close if i pulled back to 7 Knts and had smooth water.
Third-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
City: La Rochelle
Vessel Name: HOA
Vessel Model: Long-cours 62
If you are interrested

by our consomption:
at 1400 rpm 6,6 knts and 0,61lt per nm on one engine (Perkins 6.354 215c)
At 1600 rpm 7,4 knts and 0,92 lt per nm (one engine)
At 1850 rpm 9,8 kts and 1,78 lt per nm (two engines)
As you can read at :
Motorisation - Le blog de long-cours

The "circumstances" choose the engines for us but in reality two same Perkins but atmo and 110/130 hp was clearly bigs enought for keept our hull speed (10,40kts) in all circonstances.

Full load (rarely !) 72750 pds (average 67000 pds)
lenght wl 60'
gear box 2,53/1 (for the price on a precedent boat we had 3/1 seems to be more efficient)
propeller 4 blades 27"X27" but something I don't like whith this propelers they "take" exactly the Perkins propeler curve of the ....130 hp model , and can't get answer from propeller factories

longcours62 is offline   Reply With Quote