Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Dream Chaser
Vessel Model: 38' Marine Trader FB Aft Cabin
We use a Weaver System. Easy up and down with the dink and no visibility issues or access problems. 8' seems a bit small to me. Ours is 10' and it's about as small I think is comfortable for two plus dogs. Bigger is better if possible. IMHO
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	96184
Old 11-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I sent the RIB packing. Switched to a 13' welded aluminum utility boat with a 15 HP electric start fuel injected Suzuki. Wanted something that I wasn't afraid to pull up on a rocky shore or scratch the paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_152645.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	96187

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #43
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I sent the RIB packing

How do you scratch the paint with a RIB?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I sent the RIB packing. Switched to a 13' welded aluminum utility boat with a 15 HP electric start fuel injected Suzuki. Wanted something that I wasn't afraid to pull up on a rocky shore or scratch the paint.

Attachment 96187

Ted
I added a hull guard to mine before it ever saw water. That protects from a rocky or sandy shore.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #45
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I sent the RIB packing

I can tell ya you only get to try that once..
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I sent the RIB packing

Well actually gelcoat. The hull is fiberglass and not overly thick.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #47
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
There is a comedy routine and I can't remember the comedian who did it or I'd find it on the net. But he talks about a suicide blimp bad guy who drives the blimp into a tall building and of course each time he does, the blimp bounces off of it. So I'm imagining a RIB with these large tubes on either side and forward to the bow tip. Still trying to figure out out to scratch the gelcoat. Unless of course it is on a crane, then I could see it.

Of course, one of the benefits of a RIB is it doesn't scratch the gelcoat like a hard dinghy can.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #48
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We have a 8.5’ fiberglass Boss Boat dinghy. For motors we have a 15 hp two stroke, a 5 hp four stroke, and a 1973 6 hp two stroke. Which one was best for us? The six hp because it’s the lightest and most reliable.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #49
Guru

City: Tellico lake, Tn
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
We purchased our first cruising boat last winter. Until this year, this was always an inland lake boat and we have been busy getting her set up for cruising the east coast and hopefully the loop in 2021. One of our last upgrades left to do is adding a tender and a way to store/launch it. Never owned a dinghy but we are leaning towards a very lightweight 8'2" or 8'10" fiberglass RIB with a 5 or 6 hp motor that we will store on a Hurley swim platform mount. Total weight under 150#. 95% of the time it will need to carry two adults and two small (15#) dogs. Obviously, the smaller & lighter, the better, but how small becomes too small? We don't intend to anchor out a lot, maybe one or two nights over a week of travel. Recommendations on size? Is 8'2" too small? Thanks!
I would just give you a thought to consider Think about and emergency such as sinking or fire You may need to get it off quickly Also you need room for those on board along with a ditch bag I had mine on an upper deck when we had a fire and without davit power I was unable to get it off
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #50
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
I would just give you a thought to consider Think about and emergency such as sinking or fire You may need to get it off quickly Also you need room for those on board along with a ditch bag I had mine on an upper deck when we had a fire and without davit power I was unable to get it off
I tell my wife that if the boat is sinking, all she has to do is go on the boat deck and sit in the tender until the boat sinks and tender will float free.

Humor.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Grace Harbor
Vessel Name: Seabiscuit
Vessel Model: Mainship 43 aft cabin
Bigger is better. There will be times when you'll want to explore with 4 people. Get a hard bottom. I have the West Marine 310 and find it ideal. It is 10'2" with 16" tubes and rated for four persons and up to 10hp. Weighs only 95 lbs. Was originally designed and sold by Zodiak.
Rthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Dodgeville, Wi
Vessel Name: Honu
Vessel Model: 25 foot Atlas Acadia
Ok, at the risk of getting flamed, I ahve an idea for my 25 footer (Acadia with an extended roof over the deck.

My wife, 2 dogs and I often cruise the Upper Mississippi and play on the sand islands or sand bars. My boat draws 2 1/2 feet, so we anchor in about 6-10 FOW and have just swam the current to the sand. We are thinking of using a Canoe as I have several. We can attach a canoe to the extension over the deck. It is light enough to lift up when standing on the swim platform.

if anchored close to an island in the PNW like the San Juan areas, is a canoe an acceptable option for a dingy? I am asking because that is much more affordable and manageable over a dingy for us currently.
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #53

City: Sacramento
Vessel Name: River Roost
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
Ok, at the risk of getting flamed, I ahve an idea for my 25 footer (Acadia with an extended roof over the deck.

My wife, 2 dogs and I often cruise the Upper Mississippi and play on the sand islands or sand bars. My boat draws 2 1/2 feet, so we anchor in about 6-10 FOW and have just swam the current to the sand. We are thinking of using a Canoe as I have several. We can attach a canoe to the extension over the deck. It is light enough to lift up when standing on the swim platform.

if anchored close to an island in the PNW like the San Juan areas, is a canoe an acceptable option for a dingy? I am asking because that is much more affordable and manageable over a dingy for us currently.
I love the canoe idea. We cruise mostly inland (California Delta) and carry two single kayaks. Have yet to use them on the SF Bay, but look forward to doing so.
tom.gohring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #54
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A canoe is a canoe and a RHIB is an RHIB and a larger skiff is a larger skiff.

All 3 serve different mission categories to a point.

If you can't carry all 3 or their equivalents...you have to see which one is the most versatile or meets your biggest needs without missing a critical one.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #55
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
That's what life rafts are purpose built for.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #56

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Thataway
Vessel Model: C Dory 25, pilot house trailerable cruiser
We have used a 9 1/2 air floor inflatable with a Toqueedo 3 hp electric motor for explorations and shore boat for over 7 years--still running well. Charges off 12 or 110 V AC.

When we had larger boats--equal to the 46 or larger, we had a 12 1/2 to 13' RIB, and a 15 or 25 hp outboard.. Plus an 8 foot slat floor, with 4 hp (today would be the Torqeedo) which was easy to pick up and carry up the beach when necessary. The Rib's had to be anchored out, on an "endless line" and pulled off the beach as we explored on land. (Used in AK, USA, Mexico, Centeral America, Caribbean, Med, Baltic etc.). On our trawler we had a 12 foot DuraBoat Aluminum skiff--with fire hose rub rails...
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #57

City: Daytona Beach
What about just towing a 17 CC. That is what I am considering to the keys. We like to fish. 44 marine trader. Comments welcome.
Marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #58

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Weaver Tip up davits

My present boat has a crane which I love - also great for pulling a MOB out of the water.

My last boat had Weaver Tip-up davits. For a small dinghy, they are fast and simple, and I really like them. Faster than the crane. I think ease of use is a key parameter - makes us feel less isolated on the boat to know it is easy to get to shore.

Dinghy size depends on your likely use profile. Most of my use is running from anchor to the marina dinghy dock or to the beach. Since I had a crane, I went with a Caribe C10x. We'll sit on the tubes, but they are fine for short rides.

Some Weaver davits came with my new (to me) boat, and they are for sale in the classifieds section.
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #59
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Attachment 96187

Ted
I agree.
Think of how much room is/would be lost if this aluminum skiff above had tubes. Ridiculous. But this is a launch. A dinghy is 6-10 long, light enough to be carried up above the high tide level and either rowed or powered by a removable OB that can also be carried up the beach. Anything bigger or heavier is a launch.

Another thing that I think has been missed on this thread is that the dinghy will get very useful when the mother boat sinks. Boats do sink and that should be considered before setting out. One could say the primary mission for the dinghy is as a lifeboat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #60
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigold View Post
What about just towing a 17 CC. That is what I am considering to the keys. We like to fish. 44 marine trader. Comments welcome.
Fine IMO as long as you’re prepared to loose it in rough weather.
Messing around in small boats is golden and there’s nothing like an OB skiff that handles well.
Re towing there’s a lot to learn and it can become risky.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote