Old 05-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #21

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: My AC not working and that's time for some drama....lol. Except where I am right now, no need for AC, a lot of need for heat. It's actually sunny now and the temp up to 56 degrees.

Probably one over dramatizing and one understating so it ends up just right.
It was approaching 90 degrees on Saturday...full sunshine. But a little front came through and brought much lower humidity and it was actually chilly that night. I was wishing I had thought to grab a sweatshirt from the house.

Where are you guys with those kind of temps in May?

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Bluewater Yachts - 47 ft Coastal Cruiser
No changes are gonna happen immediately. We are going to use the heck out our "Sanctuary Of Sanity" and have a blast till winter.

Then we will plan the haul out and mod plan including possible home bank change on batteries, new thru hull for dedicated water pumps for ac so that they don't have to share, new thru hull for wash down pump, wash down pump and plumbing to give connections at cockpit. AC filter box mods. Update non-critical gauges that currently don't work such as fresh water tank level. And consider miscellaneous fiberglass repairs and whole boat re-paint.

Critical gauges like starboard engine oil pressure are getting changed now.

StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

As to a walk through, that's what I have been doing for the past two days. I have walked through each and every system onboard with an experienced boat owner helping me. I have traced the sewer system and verified each part. I have traced the fresh water system and verified each part. I have traced the ac systems from compressor to condener and through all the vents. I have walked through each circuit on the 110 system and on the 12v system. I have checked all of the 12v equipment and operating switches and have a list of the non-working ones to start troubleshooting such as the horn. No horn switch on the fly ridge currently for example. And I have crawled all over the engine room.

I have read through all the manuals and the maintenance and repair records which the PO kept very detailed. He even had the OEM owners manual from Bluewater which provided some nice options for fuel tank configurations.

I even traced out the plumbing he did for the central vacuum system.

I am LOVING IT!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsMan View Post
I think you somewhat over dramatized the whole ordeal. Lol

Once I was satisfied that it wasn't a charger issue I knew it was simply dead batteries. Simple fix once daylight came. Silly girl.
Never suggest to a wife that she is over dramatizing issues that relate to the reliable functioning of a head.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
StarsMan, I am new to the powerboat realm and know nothing about twins but I wonder at why you have two batteries for each engine and genset? Is this common with this boat?

I would assume a single good starting battery for each engine and the Genset would work well. Then a separate house bank for all your electrical needs.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #26

Quote:
As to a walk through, that's what I have been doing for the past two days. I have walked through each and every system onboard with an experienced boat owner helping me. I have traced the sewer system and verified each part. I have traced the fresh water system and verified each part. I have traced the ac systems from compressor to condener and through all the vents. I have walked through each circuit on the 110 system and on the 12v system. I have checked all of the 12v equipment and operating switches and have a list of the non-working ones to start troubleshooting such as the horn. No horn switch on the fly ridge currently for example. And I have crawled all over the engine room.

I have read through all the manuals and the maintenance and repair records which the PO kept very detailed. He even had the OEM owners manual from Bluewater which provided some nice options for fuel tank configurations.

I even traced out the plumbing he did for the central vacuum system.

I am LOVING IT!!!
Yeah well...I made the bed and arranged pretty throw pillows. And I unpacked the dishes and most importantly the wine glasses.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #27

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Stars^2: Thank you for taking the time to write on this forum in general, and this thread in particular. You are about 2 years in front of us, but we're on the same path as you. I look forward to both of your postings.

With regards to the Bluewater, that is a boat that I have been "on-again" and "off-again" as to making the short list of boats. I'll be especially interested to hear about your boating experiences with it. We live in Ft. Myers, FL and will be mostly staying in FL waters, and making an occasional run over to the Bahamas, but I've heard "horror stories" about the Bluewater boats not being capable of doing that. I know that weather conditions are everything, so I'm not discounting the Bluewater, just would like to hear your experiences as you go forward.

I really love the layout of the Bluewater Yachts, particularly the roominess.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #28
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Stars'. Good luck with the new girl. I was contemplating a blue water 42 myself until available mooring length removed them from consideration.

Where do you call home? What year is she? I found some interesting info about them. Too bad they stopped production. 2008 was a bad year.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
StarsMan, I am new to the powerboat realm and know nothing about twins but I wonder at why you have two batteries for each engine and genset? Is this common with this boat?

I would assume a single good starting battery for each engine and the Genset would work well. Then a separate house bank for all your electrical needs.
Star(s)
First welcome to boating & TF

Above Similar to my initial thoughts? - lots of info in prior posts re: different engine / batt'y configurations w/ +/- - realize no one best way will depend on how you use it.

Are we having "fun" yet???
Next step is to post some pics of the ship

Dave - I see you avatar is "afloat" again - looks better in the water
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Stars'. Good luck with the new girl. I was contemplating a blue water 42 myself until available mooring length removed them from consideration.

Where do you call home? What year is she? I found some interesting info about them. Too bad they stopped production. 2008 was a bad year.
We're in Madisonville, LA.
She's a 1982 47 coastal cruiser. They only made this particular style for 3 yrs from what we understand. We were pleased to see the PO had the original owners manual. I haven't looked at it yet but hubby says it's neat.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Star(s)
First welcome to boating & TF

Above Similar to my initial thoughts? - lots of info in prior posts re: different engine / batt'y configurations w/ +/- - realize no one best way will depend on how you use it.

Are we having "fun" yet???
Next step is to post some pics of the ship

Dave - I see you avatar is "afloat" again - looks better in the water
This is the ad on YW for the boat with bunches of pictures...
I really fell in love with all the wood on the interior.
The outside needs some (mostly) cosmetic work and a few fiberglass repairs. There's some peeling paint in a few places. There's mismatched paint. And of course, being a woman, those things bother me...but then I just keep remembering she's an OLD boat. Lol
We got a quote from a guy on a whole new topside paint job. He said it's like $250/ft. I have no idea if that's reasonable or not, but I'm thinking we're going to learn how to do that ourselves. That's way too much money.

1982 Bluewater Coastal Cruiser HOUSEBOAT Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 05-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I am guessing the double batteries on both engines and genset are basically insurance. The manual only references one battery per engine and in the original factory configuration the 12v system was split between those two batteries with port battery running port 12v stuff and starboard running starboard 12v stuff and both bilge pumps coming from the port battery. There is a box in the forward closet/mid bilge with three switches labeled port, bilge pumps, and starboard. I asked the PO about that box and switches and he said "no clue. Don't know what those are. I've never touched them". Well, those are the master circuit switches for the three segregated 12v circuits as originally wired lol. I need to check the re-wired system of all 12v on port side to see if they atill use all three switches.

Anyway, in answer to original post, yes a single battery per engine would be adequate for starting. Same with gen. Using two is like wearing a belt AND suspenders I guess. My uncle has the same two battery set up for his single engine trawl boat.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
Stars^2: Thank you for taking the time to write on this forum in general, and this thread in particular. You are about 2 years in front of us, but we're on the same path as you. I look forward to both of your postings.

With regards to the Bluewater, that is a boat that I have been "on-again" and "off-again" as to making the short list of boats. I'll be especially interested to hear about your boating experiences with it. We live in Ft. Myers, FL and will be mostly staying in FL waters, and making an occasional run over to the Bahamas, but I've heard "horror stories" about the Bluewater boats not being capable of doing that. I know that weather conditions are everything, so I'm not discounting the Bluewater, just would like to hear your experiences as you go forward.

I really love the layout of the Bluewater Yachts, particularly the roominess.
We're mostly going to be tooling around here on our River and in the lake. Later, once we're more comfortable we want to go down the coastline to MS and AL and maybe over to FL panhandle. We don't have any intention of ever trying to take it out in open water.
We've heard some horror stories too but we've also heard the opposite. I think for how we intend to use it, it will be just fine for us.
I just posted a link to the ad for the boat that has a bunch of pictures. We like the layout and the roominess too.
We didn't know much about different type of boats and whatnot but we knew some of the things we wanted. We wanted a cockpit...we did not want an aft cabin. We wanted a lot of deck space for entertaining, we wanted a flybridge with a place for me to relax while he's driving the boat. This boat ticked most of our boxes. Plus when I saw the interior, I just fell in love.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post

What kind of interesting info?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
This is the ad on YW for the boat with bunches of pictures...
]
Wifey B: We had already found it there and think it's a greeaaaaaaaaaaaaat boat. It's unusual but little draft, little air draft, tons of space. Just a cool boat and when you two get through with it, will be a mah'velous boat.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #36
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Star people: you cracked me up!

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Welcome aboard!

-Chris
Old 05-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #37
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
There are two port engine batteries, two starboard engine batteries, and two generator batteries. The port batteries also supply all the 12v systems including bilge pumps. The existing batteries were one starting batter and one deep cycle. Mismatched cranking amps and amp hour ratings. I replaced those with two deep cycle 800 cranking amps and 200 amp hours batteries.

The reconfigure plan is to move the 12v supply to the generator battery bank and beef it up with 3 high amp hour deep cycle batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Quote:
I am guessing the double batteries on both engines and genset are basically insurance. The manual only references one battery per engine and in the original factory configuration the 12v system was split between those two batteries with port battery running port 12v stuff and starboard running starboard 12v stuff and both bilge pumps coming from the port battery.

Anyway, in answer to original post, yes a single battery per engine would be adequate for starting. Same with gen. Using two is like wearing a belt AND suspenders I guess. My uncle has the same two battery set up for his single engine trawl boat.

Our boat -- and most (maybe all) built by the various companies in the same manufacturing group -- are usually configured with two "large" battery banks, plus a genset starter battery if a genset is installed.

Each of the two large banks does triple duty: starts an engine, runs about half of the DC house, and then also services one of the bridge functions (electrics, on one, the electronics suite on the other).

There's also a parallel switch, so either large bank can augment the other to start an engine should that be necessary. And then there's the genset/charger option, if it comes to that.

I wouldn't have thought to do it this way for a cruising boat, given potential for days at anchor... but IMO it has turned out to be a relatively simple, relatively efficient design/implementation. I suspect it was probably influenced buy the manufacturer's expectation that a major percentage of these boats would be used more for marina-hopping than for long periods of cruising and at anchor. Still, it's turned out to be reasonably manageable.

Ours started life with at least two "dual purpose" Group 27s (or maybe 29s) on each large bank, and I think the genset battery was a G27, too. (I'm a little unclear on thae two larger banks because the original owner either replaced one battery in -- or maybe added a battery to -- each of those banks, so when we got it, each bank was kind of mis-matched.) I replaced all those with 3x G31s for the large banks and a single G34 for the genset starter.

That has turned out to be quite sufficient... although my next step, whenever I have to replace our (now 10-year-old) starboard bank -- the one that runs all our electronics while I'm trolling on the port engine -- is probably to replace the G31s with 4x 6V golf cart batteries. That would still be in spec with engine starting requirements... fit in approx. the same physical space... and at the same time would increase Ah on that bank from a nominal 300 to a nominal 440 or so.

-Chris
Old 05-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Chris,
The way you describe it is how the OEM had configured it. Only difference is a single battery at each engine instead of a "large" bank. PO apparently revised the shared house duties into the single port side bank feed. Batteries in both banks also mismatched so that is an easy fix but I will hold off on Starboard and generator set until I decide how/if I will redo the house bank config.

I am considered using the golf cart battery arrangement you mention above as they do provide better Ah rating. Since I won't mess with that until the next haul out, I have several months to plan it up and do some more research.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #39
Guru

City: Trenton
In William F Buckley's book "Airborne", he describes his first one mile excursion on his newly refurbished wooden ketch "Cyrano" complete with engine problems, new wiring wrapping around the shaft and several outboard motors falling into the water. I think there was a fire in the rigging. Upon finally getting to their destination someone asked Mrs. Buckley how the voyage went? "This was one of our most peaceful sails" was her reply.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I didn't click the link so don't know what engines you have. Many engines require a certain amount of cranking amps. I think mine require 750. I would not be comfortable with just a hair above the minimum required(800 in your case). Hence the two batteries for each engine...not unreasonable at all.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote