First cruise sound too ambitious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For peace of mind and heart get a towing policy! Boat U S or Seatow , your choice. Any tow you need will more than pay the premium
I certainly agree and was going to post that same advice.

Personally, I would not set out on a thousand mile cruise in a new to me boat without a couple of short cruises first. You want to get familiar with the boat and correct any problems you might have, but on another level, you might discover that you overlooked something like pots and pans for cooking, no sheets and blankets, no dinnerware or knives and forks, etc., no toilet paper. Toothbrushes and toothpaste? Little things for sure but hard to resolve in the middle of nowhere.

Do you have charts and/or a chart plotter covering the area you plan to cruise? Do you have cruising guides listing marinas and fuel stops? Or Internet access so you can use on-line services to find this info?

This thread seems to have become a tax thread, but back to the OP's question...

Is it too ambitious to take a boat you just bought on a long trip?

No it is not.

Consider this...

Almost every boat in any harbor in Alaska was brought home just after purchase.

I personally have made two 1500NM plus trips in boats I had just purchased.

AND

As part of that was the longest open water journey necessary in North America to get between ports.

Your trip would be a cake walk to any Alaskan Mariner.

I think people who normally operate out of a home base with support don't grasp the concept of cruising long distances or long term. I find some of the opinions from experienced long distance cruisers here curious.

At the end of every day, just because it's not "home", it is your new base of operations.

If something is broke, you fix it or patch it till it can be more suitably repaired. But there is no "better" place to be at the end of every day..maybe a port with better facilities...but maybe not.

I start my trip south every year with lot's of things to do and unknowns about my boat. But as I work my way to warmer weather...if something does go wrong, better it's in a warmer place than NJ in January and many of the stops along the way have much better service and parts than where my home marina is.

So I look at my 2500 mile trip every winter as just a bunch of day trips...so can one who has just bought a new boat to them...as long as they are cautious and stay in reasonable proximity to help ...it's really no big deal.

Definitely get unlimited towing. If you bring the boat to TX you will have to register it and pay the tax, minus any you paid elsewhere. If it's documented you don't have to display the TX numbers but you will have to display the tax sticker. Prior to about '99 a documented boat in TX was not required to be TX registered but somebody decided they were missing out on a bunch of taxes so the law was changed around that time.

Bob

....what's the worst that could happen?

Just asking that question is begging for the unexpected.

You've got a lifetime of cruising in the new boat ahead of you. Go slow. Don't let anyone push you. You're not being wimpy by using care and judgement. That's just being smart. You've got nothing to prove.

I still don't have a good picture of your experience or that of your crew's. But I'll guess that you have a wife going along. Push hard, long days in unfamiliar places with unknown equipment and the hiccups that will occur and while you're posting on forums, she'll be researching brokers. Ask her what she wants. Let her contrast the options of running a thousand miles to Key West versus going slow and careful down to Savannah to spend a week or two.

So I look at my 2500 mile trip every winter as just a bunch of day trips...so can one who has just bought a new boat to them...as long as they are cautious and stay in reasonable proximity to help ...it's really no big deal.

Sounds like good practical advice.

Our first trip leaving 4 days after the purchase of our Monk 36 (except the sea trial and a jump to the fuel dock) was from just south of Annapolis down the ICW to Fl, across Okeechobee then along the ICW to Tampa Bay, crossed the corner of the Gulf overnight to Apalachicola then along the GICW to New Orleans and our home port of Houma about 60 miles west of N.O. We left Annapolis Thanksgiving day. left the boat in Charleston SC and drove home for Christmas resumed the trip on Dec 30, and arrived in Houma on March 8. We had cruised the Gulf Coast in our Camano 31 several time before. It was pretty cold the first part of the trip but once we hit Florida it warmed up and we took our time visiting friends we had made on previous trips. There was a lot of learning to do but I don't recall any mechanical problems. We did and still buy towing insurance but have never had to use it so far, touch wood! We enjoyed the trip greatly.

Last edited:
I think that as long as you have done your due diligence and she has passed your survey there is no reason not to follow your dream, ie plan "A" and do the trip. That's what the boat is for after all isn't it? To paraphrase Capt. Ron, if it's gonna happen, its gonna happen out there. If taxes are gonna be an issue then you probably shouldn't even be boat shopping, so if you pay what is required, you won't ever have to look behind you. Some of the best boating times ever have been first trips on unknown boats and the bad ones make for great stories. It's not an adventure if you know the outcome. So it's time to wake up from the dream. You now own the boat and the time is now. You worked hard for it go out and enjoy it.

Via iPad using Trawler

As usual, Im letting myself get too obsessed with money side of things trying to save a buck or $10000. If there is some no-brainer way to save on the tax I'll do it, but if not I'll just bite the bullet and pay the tax.
Good for you. I'm always amazed by the people who will spend hundreds of thousands to buy a boat, and then compromise their enjoyment of it because they want to avoid a few thousand in taxes. First, use the boat and enjoy it! Then, if it doesn't compromise your ability to enjoy the boat, arrange things to avoid taxes.

That said, I think what you need to know is...
1. If you buy a boat elsewhere, bring it to Florida, and keep it here for more than 90 days, then you owe Florida use tax.
2. The use tax will be 6%, up to a maximum of $18k, minus any tax you may have already paid on the purchase to another state (but taxes paid to other countries do not count).
3. if you have owned and used (the "and used" part is important) your boat in another state for more than 6 months, and are not legally a resident of Florida, then the above does not apply, and you do not owe Florida any sales/use tax.

But, as others here have suggested, tax advice that you get on an internet forum is worth about what you pay for it... Nothing! So go to the source. Here is a link to the Florida Dept. of Revenues own website, and their document that details the rules concerning sales/use tax on boats: http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800005.pdf

I think everyone covered the tax issue now, my only suggession seeing boats being delivered after purchase, they all had issues, some even needed to be hauled, so after purchase I would find a nice home base for a week and really run the boat, adding in some overnights on the hook, once all the issues are ironed out start heading south, it's not rocket science, just need to do your homework.

Let's see...I can run the boat hard for 6 hours in a circle to find out what's wrong with the boat...or I can run the boat hard for 6 hours down the intra-coastal to another great destination and see what's wrong with the boat.......

Unless you have a favorite mechanic/boat tech/marina where you bought the boat...

WHAT THE HECK IS THE DIFFERENCE WHERE YOU WIND UP FOR THE NIGHT as long as you are near civilization and assistance???????

Guess I just used to just jumping on a boat, doing a precursory inspection and then set out on a delivery...and having done that for many years...I just don't get it unless you know you have a problem that will gradually get worse and it should be rectified before you go.

JUST BE CAUTIOUS AND DON'T LIVE TO A SCHEDULE!!!!!!

I'm not talking setting sail for Bermuda or Alaska...for heavens sake we are talking southern intra-coastal waterway to Key West...probably not gonna freeze to death, if the head system fails.....use buckets till shore, if the engine craps out...assistance towing to next marine facility, boat starts sinking....most of the way just go to near the next mark there's only 5 feet of water at that mark anyway....my gosh folks NASA only take a few more safety checks for space travel than what some of you expect.

Last edited:

You are from Texas. The boat is in SC. When you are at the boat you are already away from home base. Take a little time to check the boat out. The above quote is the way I see it.

The way we use our boat, we are always away from home. The big difference is we have to take everything with us. We can't run back home or to a shop to get something. Take tools and spares. Get towing insurance, and go. You will seldom be too far from help.

First I sure hope you don't think 6 hours will fully clear a boat, or that you are a captain and therefore you know it by looking, I can't tell you how many "captains" run into trouble delivering a boat they know nothing about by just jumping in and going.

My suggestion of yes finding a good yard, running though all the systems and then getting those issues rectified (and there will be issues) is much better then trying to find a yard as you go.

Let's see...I can run the boat hard for 6 hours in a circle to find out what's wrong with the boat...or I can run the boat hard for 6 hours down the intra-coastal to another great destination and see what's wrong with the boat.......

Unless you have a favorite mechanic/boat tech/marina where you bought the boat...

WHAT THE HECK IS THE DIFFERENCE WHERE YOU WIND UP FOR THE NIGHT as long as you are near civilization and assistance???????

Guess I just used to just jumping on a boat, doing a precursory inspection and then set out on a delivery...and having done that for many years...I just don't get it unless you know you have a problem that will gradually get worse and it should be rectified before you go.

JUST BE CAUTIOUS AND DON'T LIVE TO A SCHEDULE!!!!!!

I'm not talking setting sail for Bermuda or Alaska...for heavens sake we are talking southern intra-coastal waterway to Key West...probably not gonna freeze to death, if the head system fails.....use buckets till shore, if the engine craps out...assistance towing to next marine facility, boat starts sinking....most of the way just go to near the next mark there's only 5 feet of water at that mark anyway....my gosh folks NASA only take a few more safety checks for space travel than what some of you expect.

First I sure hope you don't think 6 hours will fully clear a boat, or that you are a captain and therefore you know it by looking, I can't tell you how many "captains" run into trouble delivering a boat they know nothing about by just jumping in and going.

My suggestion of yes finding a good yard, running though all the systems and then getting those issues rectified (and there will be issues) is much better then trying to find a yard as you go.

Obviously 6 hours was to make the point of ....what's the difference between a shakedown in a circle or straight line down the ICW???? You obviously missed that point.

Lots of captains run into troubles in their own bathtub...what's your point? Some of us just fix whatever breaks and keep going...again...what's your point???? You are correct about most "captains" even pros not being worth a crap...but we are talking someone who can self-eval and as discussed not take any risks or be under the pressure that a lot of knuckleheaded delivery captains make mistakes because of.

A brand new boat or one you have been running for years can have a major malfunction at any time without warning...worrying too much about it is a true sign of someone who has never "been there, done that" for a lifetime....

Just how many systems do you need operational to run down the ICW in populated areas?

Last I checked..with a diesel, if it starts, the engine, fuel and steering is about all you need....sure ...more is better but any system can fail at any given point. The baseline assumption is that the survey showed most of them as operational with no safety issues. I'm just as adamant about anyone to not trust a survey farther than I can throw it...but sometimes that's as good as it gets till you rip apart the system.

So unless the new owner is going to rip apart every system, whether he departs with his family, or a buddy for the trip or hires a pro delivery captain....good chance is that someone will board the boat...check the oil, maybe the water in the batteries, the required USCG safety equipment and turn the engine on and go in a definitive direction....happens every day ....hundreds... if not thousands of times....

To think anything else is just a dream.

Last edited:
This is my last response on this tread as I see it going south fast.

When I write in I try and see what the OP is looking for, I don't take it as an opportunity to opine about who I am.

The OP had no experience handling a boat this size, he was in unfamiliar waters with systems he is not use to.

Jumping in and going advice for the OP was flat out poor advice in my book, but that is just my opinion and that is what makes the world go around.

Obviously 6 hours was to make the point of ....what's the difference between a shakedown in a circle or straight line down the ICW???? You obviously missed that point.

Lots of captains run into troubles in their own bathtub...what's your point? Some of us just fix whatever breaks and keep going...again...what's your point???? You are correct about most "captains" even pros not being worth a crap...but we are talking someone who can self-eval and as discussed not take any risks or be under the pressure that a lot of knuckleheaded delivery captains make mistakes because of.

A brand new boat or one you have been running for years can have a major malfunction at any time without warning...worrying too much about it is a true sign of someone who has never "been there, done that" for a lifetime....

Just how many systems do you need operational to run down the ICW in populated areas?

Last I checked..with a diesel, if it starts, the engine, fuel and steering is about all you need....sure ...more is better but any system can fail at any given point. The baseline assumption is that the survey showed most of them as operational with no safety issues. I'm just as adamant about anyone to not trust a survey farther than I can throw it...but sometimes that's as good as it gets till you rip apart the system.

So unless the new owner is going to rip apart every system, whether he departs with his family, or a buddy for the trip or hires a pro delivery captain....good chance is that someone will board the boat...check the oil, maybe the water in the batteries, the required USCG safety equipment and turn the engine on and go in a definitive direction....happens every day ....hundreds... if not thousands of times....

For peace of mind and heart get a towing policy! Boat U S or Seatow , your choice. Any tow you need will more than pay the premium

I second this! Even if you've owned the boat for 10 years stuff happens! Usually at the most inconvenient time.

I don't know if I said this or not but we do have some Texas ICW experience, and some experience in the Pine Island Sound on a week long charter, and we also chartered an N37 in the Bahamas, so we are not total newbs. I just wanted a reality check to make sure I wasn't crazy trying this trip. I didn't think it sounded crazy.

We will take our time and stay unscheduled, and I have good tools and and mechanical skills. We have two VHF radios and chart plotters and Active Captain and radar and redundant sounders, and of course cell phones and tablets. The boat's electronics are not new but about 5 years old.

I like the idea of getting a tow boat policy, but don't know anything about that. I looked it up and there seem to be many levels of membership. Which one is the best? It doesn't seem like a paid service up to $50 or $125 would get you towed very far but again I don't know how that works.

Now about this tax issue.... :)

Last edited:
I don't know if I said this or not but we do have some Texas ICW experience, and some experience in the Pine Island Sound on a week long charter, and we also chartered an N37 in the Bahamas, so we are not total newbs. I just wanted a reality check to make sure I wasn't crazy trying this trip. I didn't think it sounded crazy. We will take our time and stay unscheduled, and I have good tools and and mechanical skills. We have two VHF radios and chart plotters and Active Captain and radar and redundant sounders. The electronics are not new but about 5 years old. I like the idea of getting a tow boat policy, but don't know anything about that. I looked it up and there seem to be many levels of membership. Which one is the best? It doesn't seem like a paid service up to $50 or $125 would get you towed very far but again I don't know how that works. Now about this tax issue.... :)[/QUOTE

Best see which one covers your cruising area but they do honor each other's coverage after a few phone calls to get approved. I use BoatUS and was only towed once off the NJ coast. It would have been a few hundred bucks but it was completely covered. Just get the unlimited with either one.

Damn cell phones!

BoatUS and SeaTow will honor each other's plan after a few phone calls to verify coverage. Try to get the one that covers your cruising ground best. Get the unlimited plan.

Pack your tools, spare racors, spare impellors, TOW BOAT/US membership, some oil and anti freeze, a jumper pack and take off.

I would spend a week minimum around Charleston and the low country. Did I mention that it is one of my favorite places. Its possible that you will not be back there in this lifetime, dont just pass it by.

I absolutely agree!!!

Just drive the boat home. Fix what breaks along the way and enjoy the trip.

This is too funny, and I see it all too often.

I'll just come out and say it...

We have become a country of wusses.

Where our forefathers would get in a boat, or get in a wagon and go, we have absolutely wussed out. Grow a pair guys.

Debating a trip down the ICW, oh my gawd, thats soooo scary.

Personally I think the OP was going to go for it, and I think he should. To the OP, don't let any of the "new age" men here dissuade you. You have mechanical skills, get in your new boat and learn by doing.

Last edited:
I would spend a week minimum around Charleston and the low country. Did I mention that it is one of my favorite places. Its possible that you will not be back there in this lifetime, dont just pass it by.

I agree with enjoying the trip...and the Charleston area is nice....there are several destinations close to Chrleston that would test the boat and crew and still be fun/safe.

If time allows...if not.... press on with caution always in mind...:thumb:

You probably know this since you have some ICW experience in TX.
Be sure you know what "One whistle" and "Two whistle" mean and how to use them when talking to or listening to the many tows you will be interacting with from New Orleans on West.
Same for anyone else cruising that area.

2 vhf radios are very helpfull. IIRC there is a bridge and a lock close together and you need to communicate with both, on different channells. I dont remember where. Anyway, 2 radios makes it much easier.

I think that such a cruise inside the protected ICW is a responsible decision. Yes, the channels do drift a bit, but access Active Captain for the latest data you can in the area you plan to cruise through each day. Try not to forget that this is a cat, and that you're not only 3 ft. deep 9.5 ft. to starboard, but you're also 3 ft. deep more than 18 ft. from that point to port. Align your boat in the center of the channel whenever possible by aiming ahead between markers, but also monitoring the markers behind you, especially with a cat. This is a simple error made often on the ICW, when wind or current blows you to the extreme side of the channel without you ever knowing it. Keeping an eye on the rear markers is the safe way to monitor this.

Otherwise, enjoy. Make sure your fuel is clean and filters, shaft seals, thru-hulls, hoses and belts are up to snuff. You've got redundant power, great handling with those twins far apart, especially at the dock. You'll find that steering is almost unnecessary and just the touch of a throttle will point your boat where you want to go.

I couldn't be more excited for you.

Cardude, I have been a lurker here for many years and you get the award for bringing out my first post! :thumb:

We bought our "retirement" boat this past summer and the shakedown cruise was 1000 miles bringing her home. After survey and purchase we left the boat with a mechanic for a month to address a few items and then headed home. Our trip was a great way, for me, to spend time learning the boat and it's system and I am very happy to have done it this way. I have had boats all my adult life but this one is the biggest and most complex so we had plenty to learn. (I can't believe I've gone this long without autopilot!)

Our trip was all on inland waters so it's a bit different than the ICW but not without it's own challenges (locks, tows, etc). I would just like to echo what many others have said, get a good survey, take care of the issues and point the boat south for a great learning experience.

Sorry, I can't help with the tax question but it does raise one of my own which I'll save for another thread.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom