KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
My sympathies Mr KJ. At least you and your fictional friend in your scenario tried. I do not know how I would have reacted BUT if I thought I could help and didn't, afterwards I would feel worse.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Which should emphasize that if you have a first aid kit on your boat, no matter how simple or sophisticated, you should know how to use it's contents properly. KJ

PS fictional friend but not fictional scenario.

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #22
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
I normally carry my medico mate when we go on long trips to the Great barrier Reef fishing and spear fishing.
He also stocks my first aid kits.
I do advanced first aid courses every couple of years in my work so try and stay up to date.

A photo or so of the first aid kit at work.
Mate got the teeth of a large Spanish Mackerel down the back of his foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100038.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	11733   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100039.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	11734  

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #23

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400
With respect to the "Good Samaritan laws".

May I recommend that if you have concerns about how this law and how it would apply to you, please Google the internet as i have recently just done , we where I found a web page that interprets the law for various locations.

In some locations you can get in "hot water " for not giving assistance.

I believe that the object that Mr. Donald Moon is trying to achieve is the preparation of a comprehensive FIRST AID KIT FOR USE ON BOATS.

A formidable task for sure.

For some of you a store bought kit may be all that is required, for others the kit you assemble you self could / would be the way to go, however , it does not end there and all of this requires lots of training only as a first responder , for you and your Family.

First Aid courses are available.

What is it that they say ?

"The life you save may be your own."
" When seconds count help is only minutes away"
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMERS View Post
With respect to the "Good Samaritan laws".

May I recommend that if you have concerns about how this law and how it would apply to you, please Google the internet as i have recently just done , we where I found a web page that interprets the law for various locations.

In some locations you can get in "hot water " for not giving assistance.

I believe that the object that Mr. Donald Moon is trying to achieve is the preparation of a comprehensive FIRST AID KIT FOR USE ON BOATS.

A formidable task for sure.

For some of you a store bought kit may be all that is required, for others the kit you assemble you self could / would be the way to go, however , it does not end there and all of this requires lots of training only as a first responder , for you and your Family.

First Aid courses are available.

What is it that they say ?

"The life you save may be your own."
" When seconds count help is only minutes away"
yes absolutely...but it's probably easier to defend "not giving" than giving and something even unrelated going wrong.

that's not my style but something to think about....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I

Which has nothing to do with boating or the original inquiry.

KJ, I think you are wrong in that assumption. All situations can occur in boating, and could very well be the subject of another thread. I think it is a little beyond first-aid, or the subject could be involved. It would be an interesting to explore.

There have been many good ideas come from this thread. An epipen is something I never thought of. One time between Marco Island and Naples, I thought that I was going to have to do a tracheotomy (sp) on a passenger. We got to the Naples Sailing and Yacht Club just in time. All type situations arise.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #26
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
KJ, I think you are wrong in that assumption. All situations can occur in boating, and could very well be the subject of another thread. I think it is a little beyond first-aid, or the subject could be involved. It would be an interesting to explore.

There have been many good ideas come from this thread. An epipen is something I never thought of. One time between Marco Island and Naples, I thought that I was going to have to do a tracheotomy (sp) on a passenger. We got to the Naples Sailing and Yacht Club just in time. All type situations arise.
Yes, you are also absolutely right, however, I was referring to my own response which I felt was straying from the intent of the original post.

I wonder how many other TF folks would know how to perform a tracheotomy, or even know where the cricothyroid membrane is (that’s where you do it). I personally would be scared s**tless to perform one. It would most definitely have to be a life or death response.

What if some was preparing lunch in your galley and the boat lurched and that person cut themself deeply and was bleeding profusely (perhaps cut an artery). Would you (not you personally) know how to stop massive bleeding? Would you know how to apply and maintain a tourniquet?
How about a splinting a broken bone, or dealing with a head injury or a bad burn?

Yes, there is a lot of stuff (bad) that can happen on our boats that may need to be dealt with that goes way beyond what you will find in the average first aid kit. The most important thing is knowing what to do.
KJ
Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Everyone should take a first aid class. There are many available.
I can't say whom to contact in a given area.
For all the reasons stated above and many more.

SD
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
GREAT thread! One thing I just thought about....What about Fido or Fifi? Probably worthwhile talking with your vet about pet specific trauma/illness items. I fully realize first aid materials, for the most part, can be used for animals BUT there may be animal specific things one could have on hand. Now we don't want Fido puking on the carpet any more than usual do we?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
GREAT thread! One thing I just thought about....What about Fido or Fifi? Probably worthwhile talking with your vet about pet specific trauma/illness items. I fully realize first aid materials, for the most part, can be used for animals BUT there may be animal specific things one could have on hand. Now we don't want Fido puking on the carpet any more than usual do we?
Get a good boat dog and they can watch the autopilot when the rest of the crew is too sea sick to stand watch!!

Good point...just adjusting my girlfriends skittish dog to my boat now...hope they will make the trip south this winter so pooch will definitely be on the regular crew list with all the necessary prep/paperwork!

Now if I could just figure how to make good hors d'oeuvres out of that giant bag of dog food.....hmmmmm..
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Dog food horse doovers? No problem. Wrap 'em in bacon. Everything goes with bacon!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Haa. Rt That crack's my ass up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ass.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	11748  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #32
Guru

By the way, KJ, the passenger that was having trouble and may have needed a trachiotomy was herself a critical care nurse. We found a piece of tubing on board, cut it off, immersed it and a razor blade in alcohol to have ready if needed. She said that she would point exactly where to cut. Scared the pee out of me, but I was ready if necessary.

Ok, guys. Very entertaining. Let's see if we can pull together some recommendations for manuals and kits to carry aboard for various types of cruising. Also, with internet availability, WEBMD.com has some good info.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Ok, guys. Very entertaining. Let's see if we can pull together some recommendations for manuals and kits to carry aboard for various types of cruising. Also, with internet availability, WEBMD.com has some good info.

MedlinePlus is a pretty good web site.
The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy is generally accepted as one of the best reference books available.
There are tons of books and manuals about emergency medicine, although, I think it's better to take first aid classes. If someone is injured, having to stop to read instructions on how to deal with it could be critical (like having the tube and the razor ready). KJ
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #34

Heart attacks on boats

HEART ATTACK ON BOATS.

Most likely the very worst thing that can happen on a boat is someone having a HEART ATTACK.

When it gets to that point it is almost to late and for some the end has come and you see your love one die in excruciating pain as you stand there not knowing what to do,for other there may be a second chance you could be that one who can prevent the inevitable.

There are many people who do not now the symptoms of a heart attack and in some cases indigestion is often wrongly interpreted as the problem.

I am not going to tell you what symptoms to look for, I do not want to miss lead you, because I am not a doctor.There are Qualified members of this Forum who may be able to assist.

What I will tell you is to visit the web page Web Md. look for the section Questions and Answers. it is all there.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #35
Guru

Thanks Somers. You are right. I took the liberty to look at the info on Webmd.com under heart attacks. Here is a link.

Heart Attack - WebMD: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and More

It would be interesting to know if anyone here has been faced with a heart attack situation while boating or otherwise.

It makes me want to take a CPR refresher course.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Somers. You are right. I took the liberty to look at the info on Webmd.com under heart attacks. Here is a link.

Heart Attack - WebMD: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and More

It would be interesting to know if anyone here has been faced with a heart attack situation while boating or otherwise.

It makes me want to take a CPR refresher course.
A few years back on a Scouting outing...the older scoutmaster looked gray and had difficulty breathing and moving...

I went to my truck an got 2 aspirin while waiting for the ambulance...helped my headache a LOT!

Just kidding...the Dr said I probably saved 1/3-1/2 his heart muscle by giving him the aspirin...probably didn't SAVE a life..but his quality of life now is much better because of it.

The USCG doesn't always hoist heart attack victims at sea...the last I heard..they won't do it at all as it is more traumatic to the patient. Not sure of the current policy...but the idea is to keep the person alive if you can long enough to get to proper care.

Statistically...CPR isn't very promising for a true heart stoppage or other types of heart failure...more than a few minutes (typical on boats)...and it's pretty rare to save someone without a dfib machine and or sophisticated meds.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
As a man in his mid 40's who has had a couple health wake up calls the wife and I have been considering the new personal defibrillator machines. I'd guess the vast majority of us on this forum are in the 40 and above category. I've seen a demonstration once a couple years ago of attaching them on a CPR dummy but have not researched them much. About all I know about them is they are roughly $1200. Sounds like cheap insurance.

Does anyone here on the forum own one or have researched them?

Thanks for the link Don, I think a CPR refresher course is in my very near future.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
We have two of defibrillators at our yacht club for the last year. One is kept in the clubhouse and one that attends each cruise aboard the cruise master's boat. We also have about 30 to 50 members trained in their use. So far we have not had to use them, with our membership aging the directors thought it was a prudent move.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A few years back on a Scouting outing...the older scoutmaster looked gray and had difficulty breathing and moving...

I went to my truck an got 2 aspirin while waiting for the ambulance...helped my headache a LOT!

Just kidding...the Dr said I probably saved 1/3-1/2 his heart muscle by giving him the aspirin...probably didn't SAVE a life..but his quality of life now is much better because of it.

The USCG doesn't always hoist heart attack victims at sea...the last I heard..they won't do it at all as it is more traumatic to the patient. Not sure of the current policy...but the idea is to keep the person alive if you can long enough to get to proper care.

Statistically...CPR isn't very promising for a true heart stoppage or other types of heart failure...more than a few minutes (typical on boats)...and it's pretty rare to save someone without a dfib machine and or sophisticated meds.

Heart Attacks on Boats.

Owning a boat comes with many responsibilities and you don't need me to tell you that, but there is more to boating than sailing into the sun set.

It could turn out into sailing into disaster.

With respect to Heart Attacks a million happen every year and don't say it can't happen .

I would encourage all of you to go on the web page of WEBMD as this page is put together by professionals.

Please read it very carefully as it will the answer many of your questions.

Certainly two Aspirins will do wonders to thin the blood that is if you have them available.

However Heart Attacks are preventable or at least with the right diet how would you like to be told no more meat ,well gentlemen I just did that, even the lean stuff has fat in it that winds up in your arteries causes the killer blockage , for some the Heart Attack has been building up for over 20 years even for those who though that they were living right.

Getting used to vegetables does not come easy, i will save that subject for later.

There is a need to know how to identify a Heart Attack and what to do if and when it happens .
Do not.. drive the family car or go in a neighbors car to the Hospital ..

Do.. Call for the Ambulance which has medication and professionals on board who can perform immediate treatment at the location.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMERS View Post

Heart Attacks on Boats.

Owning a boat comes with many responsibilities and you don't need me to tell you that, but there is more to boating than sailing into the sun set.

It could turn out into sailing into disaster.

With respect to Heart Attacks a million happen every year and don't say it can't happen .

I would encourage all of you to go on the web page of WEBMD as this page is put together by professionals.

Please read it very carefully as it will the answer many of your questions.

Certainly two Aspirins will do wonders to thin the blood that is if you have them available.

However Heart Attacks are preventable or at least with the right diet how would you like to be told no more meat ,well gentlemen I just did that, even the lean stuff has fat in it that winds up in your arteries causes the killer blockage , for some the Heart Attack has been building up for over 20 years even for those who though that they were living right.

Getting used to vegetables does not come easy, i will save that subject for later.

There is a need to know how to identify a Heart Attack and what to do if and when it happens .
Do not.. drive the family car or go in a neighbors car to the Hospital ..

Do.. Call for the Ambulance which has medication and professionals on board who can perform immediate treatment at the location.

Please...a good diet can contain some meat...well maybe not if you have already gotten to a point of bad arterial condition and under a cadiologists care..if that...well I am sorry for you. But a small amount of good meat in your diet is far from a death sentence of even a problem for the average person who has eaten sensibly their whole life.

Any doctor who bans all meat needs to get a grip.

NOT carrying aspirin is just as bad as thinking meat is bad....it is easy and is better for you than all those other pain killers. Some of which are destroying your other organs if you can believe those reports.....