Old 08-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
First aid classes and med kit (Graphic photo)

Good morning, I would like to take real classes on first aid and find a proper med kit. So far Iíve had several hook problems (mostly hand and fingers) and this weekend my buddy cut his leg with a chainsaw at the camp. Are there classes that teach you how to do stitches and license you to buy a local anesthetic? BTW I had to drive 1 hour to the hospital with the leg injury
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	92043

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Jeebus, don't post pix of gore without warnings.

Stitching serious wounds is not for the novices. Get it wrong and you cause pockets to abscess and excessive scarring. Though I suppose that's better than bleeding out until more accomplished aid can be rendered. From what I recall it's a matter of dealing with the injuries to the underlying layers, not just closing the top-most skin.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Uhm, I thought I did. Read title
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Don't know where he got it, but one of my sons would say, eew, you can see meat! Dad, I got cut! How bad is it? Not too bad, you can't see any meat...

When I was a kid my father and I were in the woods cutting firewood. He touched his shinbone with the running chainsaw. He limped to the car and made a bandage out of newspaper and black electrician's tape and then went back to cutting firewood. It's been a family joke ever since, decades later.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Good morning, I would like to take real classes on first aid and find a proper med kit. So far Iíve had several hook problems (mostly hand and fingers) and this weekend my buddy cut his leg with a chainsaw at the camp. Are there classes that teach you how to do stitches and license you to buy a local anesthetic? BTW I had to drive 1 hour to the hospital with the leg injury
Attachment 92043
To deal with the kind of injury your pic shows I suggest either Medical Person in Charge STCW training (MEDPIC). Or wilderness first aid.

I imagine the quality of the MEDPIC training varies from provider to provider. My training at MITAGS in Seattle was very good. Two weeks of intensive work. First week in the class room, second week hands on. The only live person to person training was giving each other saline IVs.

I'm not up on current regs and laws but at that time I took the training we couldn't just purchase controlled substances. We had to have a contract with a company like MedAire who provided kits with the drugs and assistance from Drs and nurses via long distance communications on administration.

And long before that I took an advanced marine first aid course for commercial fishermen. Sorry I don't remember who put it on it was a long time ago. Perhaps FVOA in Seattle? In that course we learned to suture on dead animal parts. Upon inspection of my handicraft I was advised by the Dr for the victim's sake to avoid sutures if I could.

None of the above is cheap. You might try walking the docks frequented by commercial fishing boats who stay out for days or weeks. They may know some work arounds. For example there used to be a pharmacy in my area serving the fishing fleet that could push the limits of the rules and get you a good kit but they've long since closed that operation.

I will comment that the generic advanced first aid course while better than no training isn't worth much when it comes to training for marine or remote emergencies.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The Red Cross offers a wide variety of first aid classes. Contact them. I'd guess that like here in North Carolina they'd have some pretty robust ones on the gulf coast, given the hurricane exposure in addition to the normal stuff. Many of their classes you can take on line.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Best bet for something like that - even with an hour drive to the ER, is to bandage it and drive. It's not gushing blood so it looks worse than it is.

If longer transport times are involved, you can look at some steri-strips and bandaging.

Leave the stitches (and medical liability) to the doctors...
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: Hardin Europa
Stiching of wounds isnt really an emergency procedure so much as something done to let it heal right. You don't really need to do that unless you aren't going to get to medical care for a long while. And, as has been noted, closing up a wound without proper cleaning and possibly antibiotics can lead to an abyss, etc. Also, stiching tissues covering a life threatening arterial bleed, etc, wont help it and will just waste time and blood.

Direct pressure is what will stop or control bleeding. Clotting agents, e.g. Quick Clot, are OTC and can be bought by anyone. They are especially helpful for those on blood thinners. The versions that are embedded in gauze work best. But, any version only works if it gets down into the wound to the source of the heavy bleeding.

In general, you can control any life threatening bleeding with packing and direct pressure,,and if you do, you are doing the right thing. Then, once stopped, you dont want to open it back up or look -- or you could be back to the life threat.

For more minor wounds, it often makes sense to tolerate minor bleesing while cleaning the wound well, even excessively, e.g. irrigation with clean water,,just to reduce the chances of infection. Then, once done. Use packing and direct pressure to control the bleeding and protect from contamination.

There are adjuncts to help, e.g. pressure dressings, but they arent commonly necessary, just helpful.

A WFA course or MPIC course are good options.
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Most community colleges offer EMT courses. Probably all you will need for majority of situations. Of course there is probably a you tube video that will walk you through heart replacement surgery...
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Most community colleges offer EMT courses. Probably all you will need for majority of situations. Of course there is probably a you tube video that will walk you through heart replacement surgery...
I was an EMT 20 plus years ago and unless things have changed dramatically...there is no way stitches are part of Emergency care. EMT training would be great for anyone to have but you'll need more specific training as other have suggested above due to your need for remote care.

Sidney
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I fist full of steri-strips and immobility will do as an adequate substitute for stitches for the short term while waiting for, or to get too, medical services. The skin doesn't care about the mechanics of how it's being held together.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Are there classes that teach you how to do stitches and license you to buy a local anesthetic?
I think my suture kit was part of the EMT kit I purchased. My skipper & I learned how to use it in our Medicine at Sea class, practicing on chicken breasts. Most cruisers I have known carried local anesthesia in their kits supplied by sympathetic personal dentists. My PCP provides a prescription for topical Licocaine for those times when I get painful injections in my foot from a different MD. There are those who will advise that you seek professional medical care when needed, but those are generally folks who do not venture days/weeks away from that kind of care. Note that stitches aren't just for the skin; sometimes you have to sew up a blood vessel or artery before you worry about securing the skin. Buy me a margarita sometime & I'll tell you how I know.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco CA
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: Universal 39' Europa Trawler
The mobile app keeps showing the last attachment. So can someone post something more pleasant so we donít have to look at that over and over!
🤮
warfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
How about this instead.. Click image for larger version

Name:	3f284b4a-8798-4a59-bdce-62f48b679278.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	92063
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #15

City: Desoto
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: 1973 Alaskan 49-B PH
I have stitched up myself when it was bad. But I wouldn't want to do someone else unless it was really needed, and the I would care how pretty it looked. Stop the bleeding then run for the hospital.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Good book for when help is a long ways off: https://www.amazon.com/Medicine-Moun.../dp/0898863317
Old 08-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #17
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Oh...and for next time...chainsaw chaps

Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco CA
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: Universal 39' Europa Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
How about this instead.. Attachment 92063

Thank you
warfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We didnít do this class but Lena and I did a similar one called ďSuturing at SeaĒ. It was geared toward the commercial fishing industry. It was a great class. We practiced various suturing techniques on pigs feet. Maybe thereís something similar in your area?

Mastering Fundamentals of Skin Laceration Repair
https://www.cprseattle.com/mastering...eration-repair
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
I've used tape to close a wound as first aid, but never even thought about actually stitching someone. And, I've a had lot more first aid training than the average person, I would imagine.

We even used to carry trauma kits on our persons where I worked when engaged in risky behavior. I carry one on my boat.