Firearms on the Great Loop Route laws and regs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panacea123

Vessel Name
Panacea
Vessel Make
Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
First off I carry, always will, personal preference.
Have traveled from Fla. to Bahamas several times w/no issues and abide by the rules!
Thinking about going to the Great Lakes next year and am looking for any info
On regs along the way.
Have read many threads and they all seem to get hijacked by personal opinions about guns on board, with no real info provided.
I have my opinion, you have yours. Let's keep this post restricted to information and not a debate on how best to protect yourself and the family.

Thanks in advance
Looking forward to any info that will keep me from running afoul of the local laws.

Isn't a firearm on a boat

Considered the same as in your home, open or concealed carry?

First off I carry, always will, personal preference.
Have traveled from Fla. to Bahamas several times w/no issues and abide by the rules!
On regs along the way.
Have read many threads and they all seem to get hijacked by personal opinions about guns on board, with no real info provided.
I have my opinion, you have yours. Let's keep this post restricted to information and not a debate on how best to protect yourself and the family.

Thanks in advance
Looking forward to any info that will keep me from running afoul of the local laws.

Considered the same as in your home, open or concealed carry?

Concealed carry w/permit
On the boat it stays locked in a gun safe most of the time.
Always locked up in the Bahamas and declared on check in.

Here's a good start. This site is usually up to date. www.usacarry.com

I can not stress enough to you, be careful in NJ, DC and NYC. If your planning to take your firearms into this state or cities other than locked and separated from locked ammo while passing directly thru you are setting yourself up for some serious legal problems.

I would NOT state my intentions to violate their unconstitutional laws on a public form.

Here's a good start. This site is usually up to date. www.usacarry.com

I can not stress enough to you, be careful in NJ, DC and NYC. If your planning to take your firearms into this state or cities other than locked and separated from locked ammo while passing directly thru you are setting yourself up for some serious legal problems.

I would NOT state my intentions to violate their [STRIKE]unconstitutional[/STRIKE] laws on a public form.

He was quite clear that he always follows local laws.

The website linked above may provide you will good information. You can also check out Handgunlaw.us.

As John pointed out, in states like NY, your best bet would be to have both weapon and ammunition locked up separately.

30 years ago I drove all through the Northeast with a loaded handgun in the car. I was ignorant of the laws and very fortunate that I never ran into any trouble. I just forgot that I had my uncles 38 in the truck before we left on our road trip.

I was not trying to sound accusing, just trying to stress a point. Especially NJ, a state that unfortunately borders my gun friendly home state of PA.

I would also like to point out to the OP that NJ has very strict laws governing possession/transporting hollow point ammo.

John

There are several states where abiding by there laws will not allow you to get off the boat concealed carry. So, if it's for only on the boat, a 12 gauge pump with short barrel and pistol grip instead of stock seemed to me a much lower hassle factor.

Ted

12 gauge pump with short barrel and pistol grip

Always a great choice. I'm partial to the 870 Marine Magnum, but with wood furniture instead of plastic.

img_468036_0_46468ddae0fcfe74a2a2b5eacc7edd81.png

Someone suggested painting the synthetic stock on my Mossberg Mariner orange and stenciling FLARE GUN on it. Legal in all states and Canada....maybe.

Ted

Someone suggested painting the synthetic stock on my Mossberg Mariner orange and stenciling FLARE GUN on it. Legal in all states and Canada....maybe.

Ted

Yes I can see it now, as you stand before a judge and say, "well your honor, someone told it was legal".

I wish you luck with that Ted. :D

There are several states where abiding by there laws will not allow you to get off the boat concealed carry. So, if it's for only on the boat, a 12 gauge pump with short barrel and pistol grip instead of stock seemed to me a much lower hassle factor.

Ted

Better check NY Safe Act on the pistol grip.

John

This topic has been canvassed before and is well covered in the archives section.

From memory I think the original poster took his weapon on board with him , tripped over the boat hook and shot his toy poodle.There was a touching tribute in the 'pets on board' thread...............................................:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Better check NY Safe Act on the pistol grip.

John

A cursory examination of the NY Safe Act bans pistol grips from semi-automatic rifles. A pump shot gun is neither a semi-automatic nor a rifle.

Ted

After further review: a semi-automatic shot gun with a pistol grip for the non trigger hand is also banned.

I was referring to a pistol grip for the trigger hand (not banned) and a pump shotgun (not covered under NY Safe Act).

Ted

Last edited:
This topic has been canvassed before and is well covered in the archives section.

From memory I think the original poster took his weapon on board with him , tripped over the boat hook and shot his toy poodle.There was a touching tribute in the 'pets on board' thread...............................................:rolleyes:

Are you sure he didn't shoot the toy poodle in a misguided attempt to regain his manhood? :D

All opinions aside...

When you choose to travel to another state or country than where you reside, you must abide by their laws, or face the consequences if you are caught. You know, understand, and comply with that it appears.

My opinion is to make it easy on yourself. If you intend to enter Canada, do not bring a handgun. Unlike when crossing a state border, when crossing a country's border they have the right to search your boat.

Within the USA states, and even Canada the easiest and legal solution would be as mentioned before to carry a shotgun. I've taken a shotgun into Canada, its not a issue as long as you are honest and thell them at the border.

Within the US states, it is my opinion that you would not run into trouble carrying whatever you want while on your boat. I know I'll catch some flack over that statement, but I'd be willing to take the risk of say carrying a handgun or semi auto rifle as long as it stayed on the boat. I'm not a lawyer, and I have not studied the case law on this subject. I'm just looking at it from a practical standpoint.

Getting off the boat with your weapon is a whole other story. Your chances of being patted down and your weapon being found increase exponentially, and you would probably be charged under the laws of the state you are in.

Last edited:
I
I would also like to point out to the OP that NJ has very strict laws governing possession/transporting hollow point ammo.

John

Like Bob Dylan said "In Jersey anything's legal, as long as you don't get caught".

A sporting shotgun is indeed the easiest item from a legal standpoint, and actually has some practical value; during season you can shoot dinner. Though I have to admit I left mine in storage when we were cruising and living aboard, but did look into all the legal issues for the eastern states and adjacent countries. That was 9 years ago so don't know if anything has changed since then.

Within the US states, it is my opinion that you would not run into trouble carrying whatever you want while on your boat.

In New York State non-residents are not allowed to possess hand guns. A resident must have a permit. In Michigan you must have a CCL to have a loaded hand gun in a conveyance, which is what a boat is considered to be.

Also, "assault" rifles are illegal in many Loop states including NY, NJ, MD, CT, IL, and MA.

Oh, and a law enforcement officer can board and search your boat at any time without a probable cause.

Last edited:
On regs along the way.

You should study gun laws of each state you will be visiting.
This site, for example: https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/
Since it is hard to avoid NY and it has the most restrictive gun laws in the area, it is a good idea to start with it. Canada is a little better than New York, but not by much.

Last edited:
In New York State non-residents are not allowed to possess hand guns. A resident must have a permit. In Michigan you must have a CCL to have a loaded hand gun in a conveyance, which is what a boat is considered to be.

Also, "assault" rifles are illegal in many Loop states including NY, NJ, MD, CT, and MA.

Oh, and a law enforcement officer can board and search your boat at any time without a probable cause.

Well.....theres a bit of a twist to that.

If the gun remains onboard and you are cruising, I believe there is case law that says your boat is your "domicile". It must work OK as I can't recall a "cruisers" gun story in NY in my entire life...may be out there...but very scarce info if there is.

The other is an LE officer may board and conduct no warrant searches only within their limitations...the USCG is limited to man sized spaces and safety issues (could care less about weapons other tan you saying where they are unless you have warrants), fish and game may inspect for catches and not necessarily the whole boat without probable cause, same for most state and local LE guys to.

While there is some loosely worded legislations saying they can, I believe there is just as much law saying they cant.

My USCG, assistance towing and cruising experience suggests what Kevin Sanders said to ring true...chances are in the US, unless you take the gun off the boat or use it, or brandish it....you will never run afoul of the law. Internationally...all bets off.

Well.....theres a bit of a twist to that.

If the gun remains onboard and you are cruising, I believe there is case law that says your boat is your "domicile".

Unfortunately, no. Of course, I will be happy if you prove me wrong and quote a law confirming it.

I was stopped and boarded at the mouth of Detroit River a few years ago by a Border Protection patrol while sailing from Ohio to Michigan. Was asked whether there were firearms on board, and then was demanded to show a carry license.

I was curious about their right to ask for the license, investigated it and confirmed that according to Michigan law you indeed must have one (unless you are transporting an unloaded gun locked in a trunk).

Last edited:
"Permits the interstate transportation of unloaded firearms by any person not prohibited by Federal law from such transportation regardless of any State law or regulation. "

https://www.congress.gov/bill/99th-congress/senate-bill/49

but that's where it gets ugly...local and state authorities have been ignoring this and individual fights have been going on for years.

I had a local prosecutor return my gun in the face of HIM violating the state law. He believe the state aw to constitute an illegal search and SEIZURE...so he returned mine and others being held.

So I cant prove whether or not its legal better than anyone else since there is no "law" these days on guns. Too much emotion and politics.

The bottom line with law enforcement seems to be as much interaction and situation as "policy" or "law". Most of the time the situation is no situation at all. The other, you might have a legal fight to get your gun back....but that can be true of so many local laws each and all of us are unfamiliar with.

"Permits the interstate transportation of unloaded firearms by any person not prohibited by Federal law from such transportation regardless of any State law or regulation. "

I know that is true when moving household to a new state. I just researched that as I am moving from Ct to Fl soon and will be transporting both firearms and ammo in my truck & trailer.

In theory, it should work for offshore passages in territorial waters, kind of an innocent passage thing. It will most likely not apply while traveling Erie Canal.
Actually that statement is in that law on purpose to allow people to travel through states, free of having to follow local laws in order to hunt other states, carry states, etc.

I have been kedvto believe you are only allowed to stop for gas...not even lodging to make it palatable by tough states.

So cruising would be tough, but a boat is considered a house in some situations so the castle rule can apply.

That is why I said it can be an issue or not...depends a lot in when, where and how the stop goes.

Timely.....:D

Pretty chickenshi* of the USCG...really not their jurisdiction unless they have an agreement.

Shame when the feds give in to the locals and won't defend the federal law.

And no this isn't a political statement, just one of jurisdiction.

Hopefully I will hear the outcome...anyone hears of it...please post.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom