Old 05-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
Fire Update

Blaze destroys at least 5 boats at R.I. Yacht Club, leaves one couple homeless | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ss. Thanks for the link. Fire is never good news anywhere. It will be quite interesting to find out the cause and if you have any news, please post it here.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #3

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
It's my understanding that 3 of the 4 closest cities' fire boats were inop. The coast guard showed up after an hour, but could not fight the fire as there was no crew trained for this! They had to get a firefighter from shore to help.
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
So even if you have a fire pump you can't use it if you're not trained? How useful.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Guru

Our yacht club has a fire hose station on every dock with a hose long enough to reach every slip. Never had a boat fire, but it's nice to know it's there.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Guru

You are lucky to not only have the fire hose but enough water pressure to make use of it!! We can barely use a regular hose at our dock, especially when many boats are connected up for fresh water air conditioning flow.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'm always amazed at how woefully undersized marina water lines are. It's as though they where installed by folks that have no clue what a plumbing code is.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Guru

City: Georgia
I would think that a 2" line would suffice, but I'm just guessing. Each boat = 2 bedroom 1 bath house (sorta), depending on the number of slips on a dock....
It also depends on the pressure and main size. Probably need an engineer to do the math.

Remember that generally they drop the pressure at the hose bib, so the line to the boat isn't going to bust a gasket somewhere aboard the boat.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
For marine use the little portable fire pumps are a solid option.
One ,is what it is , two can help make a difference, three can be a game changer and more can really get the job done.

This pick of me and my fire pump set up and ready to go. I was lonely being the only guy on the dock Fire pump and all.

Job one for me is to set up a fire break by moving boats away from the fire. Unless the fire is still small and can be contained.

Smoke is the issue much more than the actual fire in my experience. You just do not play in or around the toxic stuff wafting around a boat on fire. Keeping mobile is a must.

Random thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
542.jpg  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote