Fire fighting at a marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The city we live in bought a fire boat last year. It's been used more for rescue operations than fighting fires, but with several marinas stretched along about a 10 mile stretch of the Columbia this is a great asset to have.

FB-WA-Pasco_091916-03865.jpg

Here's a link to their web page. Pasco WA Fireboat

Wifey B: Fort Lauderdale has a fire boat. I remember reading about some of the lakes in Kentucky that had a lot of fires, mainly houseboats, the marinas bought a fire boat.

I first saw the lead of the article and thought, omg we were there and didn't know it was dangerous, but then saw the photos and it's more like I was glad that we'd been at such a safe marina.

I googled to see some info on the cost and see Dunedin has one, spent $234,000. They said they use it about once a week and not yet for a fire. However, they say by cutting their response time it's been worth it. Clearwater and Tarpon Springs and other places had them already.

Newport is about to vote on one. Their cost is $241,000 with them getting a federal grant (FEMA) for the rest of the $964,000 cost. Their current boat is 16 years old.

Here's a site to look up fireboats by city and state, provided by the Cape Cod Fire Department.

Fire Boats Main Page

I've dealt directly with most of the rescue boats and helo in this vid, but the guy in the 12' inflatable gets my nod.
If you get to the fire soon enough, a brave guy on a jetski can do the job. If you delay 5 minutes, you need the 18,000 gpm 1/4 million $ crafts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom