Old 08-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Fire fighting at a marina

Wifey B: If you ever want to see the advantage of a fire boat and fire hoses on the dock, here's a link to videos that will show you.

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler...-sandusky-ohio

Great marina. We kept the boat there almost three weeks in 2016. What a great example though of quick fire fighting and limiting the damage.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
The city we live in bought a fire boat last year. It's been used more for rescue operations than fighting fires, but with several marinas stretched along about a 10 mile stretch of the Columbia this is a great asset to have.

Here's a link to their web page. Pasco WA Fireboat

Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Fort Lauderdale has a fire boat. I remember reading about some of the lakes in Kentucky that had a lot of fires, mainly houseboats, the marinas bought a fire boat.

I first saw the lead of the article and thought, omg we were there and didn't know it was dangerous, but then saw the photos and it's more like I was glad that we'd been at such a safe marina.

I googled to see some info on the cost and see Dunedin has one, spent $234,000. They said they use it about once a week and not yet for a fire. However, they say by cutting their response time it's been worth it. Clearwater and Tarpon Springs and other places had them already.

Newport is about to vote on one. Their cost is $241,000 with them getting a federal grant (FEMA) for the rest of the $964,000 cost. Their current boat is 16 years old.

Here's a site to look up fireboats by city and state, provided by the Cape Cod Fire Department.

Fire Boats Main Page
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fairport

I've dealt directly with most of the rescue boats and helo in this vid, but the guy in the 12' inflatable gets my nod.
If you get to the fire soon enough, a brave guy on a jetski can do the job. If you delay 5 minutes, you need the 18,000 gpm 1/4 million $ crafts.
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote