Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Fire Destroys two boats in Edmonds, WA

Quote:
Delfin wrote:*I find I use my IR gun to check for incipient shorts as much as I use if for anything else.....The IR gun showed the switch on the lamp getting hot, which was replaced. *The gun made it easy to spot the problem....
*Very smart use of an IR gun and one I have never thought of.* I use the "hand" method of determining if a plug or socket or wire is warm but that's a fallible method at best.* Thanks for bringing the IR gun idea to my attention.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

Fire Destroys two boats in Edmonds, WA

Quote:
Ocean Breeze NL wrote:
Our knawing issue is; all our Kids & Grandkids are living in Western Canada while we want to settle in the East. Not much water in Alberta to float a yacht hahaha

*That's why there's WestJet.* Great airline flying great planes (ours) and connects almost everywere in Canada with everywhere eise in Canada.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 2nd of January 2012 01:31:12 PM

Old 01-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

Agree with you Martin, that was one thing that is making the future relocation a little easier. Luv WJ. Also knowing the youngest will be 8ish in 5 or so years makes spending time at Grandpa's retirement home doing things they normally don't do a little more reason for them to visit. Once they get involved with their friends and activities*:nerd:*our visits at their places will be a hi and goodbye then off to hang out with their things. Grandma is going to have a rough time with not seeing them each week or so then but once she gets rejected because their friends are more important then the parting will be a little easier ( I hope ). The oldest is already bugging his Mom and Dad about spending time on Grandpa's boat ( hopefully this summer ) and maybe when his Mom isn't looking*:shocked:, a ride on the motorcycle may just hook him to wanna spend more time in Newfoundland. Who knows, he might be the one that will want a yacht someday.*

Elwin*
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

OB NL,

We're not leaving much. Taking just about everything......all 11 boats, tools, most furniture and about 75% of clothing. Most of what er're leaving is a result of cleaning house and not the move. $250. a month moorage is weighing heavily on me but it's not a deal breaker so I think I'll keep on boating for the near future at least. Moorage in Puget Sound is not a good deal, not fair and unjustifiable in my book but I'll bet ther'es something I do'nt know about it that causes it to be so high. And re the new house it will only be good until*we are unable to climb the steps or put in an elevator. Moving is a little like marriage.....always think it's final and then change does a number on you and off we go on a new tangent. Thanks, I'll take your good luck wish on the road w us across BC in the winter. Went to Anchorage in the dead of winter once and only went off the road once so I'd like to do a bit better than than that. I'm a little apprehensive but not really worried. When the weather dictates we'll just stop. I expect it will be a bit of fun.

Eric
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

So Eric if you do get stuck in the snow or go off the road on your trip, don't wander off from your vehicle looking for the next town over the hill like the Canadian couple did in Arizona. She lived to say "he went that way", he never did show up.*

I know you are much wiser than I but at the end of the day ( other than your toys ) it is all just stuff.*

Elwin*
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #26

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic

It appears there are not many electric built in electric heaters with needed safe guards. The one that stands out in made in Seattle by King-Electric. I could find nothing negative about their product line except the high price. They appear UL approved for marine envioment. Worth looking into if electric heat needed. I would think power supply should be 10-3 marine wire with high quality C/B inline. A clear area behind the mounted unit with good air flow would also help.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Moorage in Puget Sound is not a good deal, not fair and unjustifiable in my book but I'll bet ther'es something I do'nt know about it that causes it to be so high.
*There are two reasons.* One is competition.* Many more boats than slips.* While there has been a temporary reduction in demand in some marinas, in others the demand is as high as ever.* And as the economy comes back (for the upper earners if not for the lower ones) the demand for slips will start coming back and growing.* In Bellingham right now, as I understand it, for a 35'-45' slip the wating list is some four years.* Their are three boathouses for sale that I know of in our marina.* All three are in the $50,000-$100,000 range.

The second reason is the cost of everything is zooming upwards.* The cost of security is going up (Washington just raised its minimum pay to the highest in the nation, for example).* The cost of garbage collection is going up.* The cost of electricity is going up.* And on and on and on. And these things always go up much faster in urban areas--- Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Bellingham--- than they do in out of the way places, like Thorne Bay.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
Guru

OB NL,

On the last snowy trip I mentioned we just felt the ride getting a bit rough and then the car just stopped. We looked around and saw a Cafe and Garage about 150 yards over to the far left. We got out of the car, hiked over to the garage and asked to be pulled out. They said sure so we went into the cafe and had lunch. They ran their tow truck out where our car was and got it stuck. Had to fire up the Kenworth truck tow truck to get us over to the road and about that time we were through w lunch. I payed a small fee for the tow and as we were driving away we saw them pulling out the smaller tow truck. So I did run off the road but as you can see it was'nt much of an event.*

Marin, * *

ZOOMING UPWARDS is not what I want to hear. I do'nt care for Bellingham Bay much so LaConner and Anacortes are two obvious possibilities. When we were at Everett we found we spent way too much time in Saratoga Passage. Got rather tired of it and moved to LaConner. I do'nt know much about Anacortes but as I recall they do'nt have covered. Could consider Oak Harbor but it's further from Concrete. Prolly will wind up at LaConner.

Eric
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Anacortes has covered moorage but not at the big Cap Sante public marina (so far as I know). There are private marinas that have covered moorage but I have no idea of the moorage rates. Cap Sante in Anacortes is a nice marina with good access to the San Juans and points north and the town also has some very good boatyards, engine shops, etc.* I have no idea what their waiting lists or moorage rates are like.

The other thing to be aware of is that more and more marinas are apparently going to the practice of charging for the footprint of the boat rather than the length of the slip. Bellingham has said they are "studying" this which probably means they will implement it eventually. But from what I have heard from people who pay moorage based on the hull footprint, it's become a license for marinas to print money. The few people I've talked to who have experienced this change said their moorage fees took a big jump up. They did not stay the same, nor did they go down.

And I'm sure you know this, but I think just about every marina in the greater Puget Sound area requires a boater to have liability insurance and give the marina proof of it. Some marinas say they want to be named on the policy but I don't know if that's ever really enforced. They say this at Squalicum but are happy simply being given a copy of our policy. Actually our insurance underwriter does this automatically every year so we don't even have to deal with it.

As an FYI, while I doubt it will be an issue for Nomad Willy, the Swinomish channel that runs in front of La Conner has not been dredged for several years now.* Federal funding for dredging was cut off as a spending reduction move some time ago.* According to the editorials that appear about this regularly in the local boating magazines, this is starting to present a problem with more groundings occuring as the waterway continues to silt in.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 2nd of January 2012 10:07:18 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #30
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Yeah! Eric if you do that, that leaves what? Me and Superdiver as the only representatives of Alaska in the Trawler forum Fleet.

*Hey,* we'll help you fly the flag for Alaska.

And Eric, I seem to remember we owe you dinner, look us up........Arctic Traveller

Trawler training at www.arctictraveller.com

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Monday 2nd of January 2012 10:27:03 PM
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
Guru

AT,

I'll bet we will see more of you living south than up here. I suspect you're always in a hurry going past Thorne Bay. The last time you were here a friend took these two pics of you coming into the bay. I'll post them now just in case you've never seen them. "Dude" will fly the 3rd Alaska flag.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trawler 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	9265   Click image for larger version

Name:	trawler 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	9266