Old 02-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #21
City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Apparently All is Lost is supposed to be a metaphor for life and old age so we're not supposed to pay attention to the practical details. Whether or not it's a big vague metaphor, to me that's still no reason to do stupid boat things in the movie.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
The Finest Hours

Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Saw the movie last weekend. I thought it was fantastic. Kept me on the edge of my seat nearly the whole time. Okay, so "crossing the bar" was a little over the top, and it sure seemed odd that they had such a comparatively easy time coming back in after the maelstrom going out, but okay, close enough. I did some checking after the movie too and it seems unlike a lot of Hollywood treatments, they stayed very close to reality. For example they changed the order in which one of the characters dies (I don't want to spoil the suspense so that's all I'll say) but that's pretty minor if that's all I could find. I thought it was a great movie. And the practical details didn't drive me nuts like that Robert Redford movie "All is Lost." Well, I did want to give them all sets of Helly Hansen foulies, they didn't start shivering until the end, February in the Atlantic, come on, but still, I give it two big thumbs up.

I rented this movie last night. Definitely worth watching. I thought the bar crossing scene was pretty cheesy also, especially when the boat got shacked in the tube on that one wave. 😂. And yes, the guys were certified polar bears with their lack of foul weather gear. How do directors miss those details?

But still, the rescue count was amazing, and it was crazy how that 1/2 ship made it as far as it did. I guess that part was true?

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #23
City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
The book I have that the movie is supposedly based on is called THE FINEST HOURS, written in 2009. Excellent read. I have yet to see the movie but if its available I will probably get a copy off Amazon.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #24
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Dude, I saw it the other night, too. Had similar thoughts and enjoyed the movie. Normally, I don't like boating 'disaster' movies. They give me bad dreams!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:05 AM   #25
City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I was worried that this would be an over the top, explosion based movie, but it was actually pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.
What I drive at work
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:59 AM   #26
City: Carrollton, Va
Vessel Name: Sand Flea
Vessel Model: Ocean Kayak haha
The book was much better. The movie was ok, definitely some parts in the movie that were dramatic, but you have to Hollywood it up some. Still, pretty amazing to think about what that little boat did!

SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote