Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #41
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I insure Sea-Battical- she's a great boat, and extremely well maintained. She's currently on the hard getting bottom paint and service work done.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #42

City: Santa Fe, NM
Vessel Name: High Slack
Vessel Model: Selene 43
Great steel 1952 trawler

Hey GG -

Here's a long shot:

I spent 10 days in July aboard a 1952 58' Stuart & Fellows wood-hulled trawler. Four cabins (extra large master), three heads, big salon and galley, separate pilot house, lots and lots of deck space everywhere on multiple levels, mechanically great shape. It was an incredible boat and an incredible experience, and we got lots of compliments everywhere. Here she is:

M/V Katherine Jane - Home

She is in charter right now, and I have no idea whether the owner has any interest in a sale. But if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely try to make a deal on this one if the owner has even the slightest interest in a sale.

Cheers -

Steve
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #43
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Absolutely a remarkable boat! I wouldn't want the maintenance though.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #44

City: Santa Fe, NM
Vessel Name: High Slack
Vessel Model: Selene 43
Of course, there's that. However, this boat is really in impeccable condition so at least there's nothing deferred on her.

And I just now realized I wrote "steel" hull; in fact she is wood. I'll go back and edit that now.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #45
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Yes, I am planning on attending the Newport Show. Looking forward to it, and, it's just up the road from here
GG - If you find yourself walking by the Cruising Outpost booth (the new magazine that "replaced" Latitudes & Attitudes), stop by and say hi to my wife, Lisa O'Brien. She's the ad director for Cruising Outpost, and we were talking about you, your family and goals last night. First thing she said is, "I'd like to meet her"!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #46
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
This one we almost looked at during our search due to her design and pedigree (William Garden is my favorite designer!). But for us she was the opposite of what you're looking for as we wanted to stay under 50'. She has an interesting history and from what knowledgeable people have told me needs A LOT of work, but she's a diamond in the rough. She's also wood which is not on your list of hull materials, but is built very stoutly. Could be a gorgeous go-anywhere vessel with a refit in the $200,000 range: CLASSIC 1958 67' Trawler "Garden" by Vic Franck

This one is the best. Looks similar to another that I saw somewhere. I really like the design. Nervous about refit, but I'm going to e-mail them for more info and photos. I'll keep you posted.
I would love it if you keep me posted on this one. Mostly so I can vicariously enjoy the research and potential purchase/refit process! We spent a year looking for our boat, and this along with one other William Garden design I just fell in love with. She's reminiscent of the Romsdahl 65 trawlers which I love as well. IIRC Tom Smothers of the Smothers Brothers (not sure how old you are or if you remember those guys...) was a previous owner. I think she has tremendous upside at what would appear to be a modest entry. Also, in the event you do end up buying her, there are a couple of yards here in Port Townsend that absolutely excel at the type of refit you would be looking at. Sure would make a great story!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #47
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Of all the boats that I have seen my feeling is the 66 ft Choy Lee is the best fit. Single/twin engine, long range, rounded stern, 4 or 5 staterooms, with in the budget. There are several for sale and one is in North Carolina. The concern was it did not have the range to cross an ocean. However, one of the 66 was bought the owner is taking it to Australia. Might want to go back an look at it again. 1990 66 (ft.) CHEOY LEE Wide Body Long Range Cruiser for sale in Seabrook, TX. | ID 31067

The Pacific Marine 65 ft is my wifes favorit. But it does not quite meets your range requiment . 2000 Pacific Mariner Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com If you buy one please do not tell my wife!

The Northern Marine is my favoite but a little out of price range. There are several for sale. 2004 Northern Marine Pilothouse LRC "RAVEN" Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Anyway, some examples of boat you should be looking at.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #48
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
5 state rooms
Viking Motoryacht Used Boat for Sale 1989 | TheYachtMarket
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #49
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
She's gotta like this one! Nice find.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawini View Post
And I just now realized I wrote "steel" hull; in fact she is wood. I'll go back and edit that now.
Thank you! I was really confused to see that design in "steel" in a 1952 boat.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
She's gotta like this one! Nice find.
I agree! Now, we will see if the rubber meets the road.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #52

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
65' Malahide North Sea Trawler Yachtworld
I'm staying away from wood. There was a Malahide in Turkey, that I loved and would probably own now if it were steel or glass. They are amazing seaworthy boats.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #53

Quote:
That's not a boat. It's a nightclub disguised as a yacht

But seriously, it's gorgeous. I haven't seen anything like that yet. They must have put tons of money to get all that fancy neon lighting And I don't know what kind of crazy wide angle camera was used, looks like a mansion.

Thanks for posting it, but I'm staying away from MYs. I'm looking for a raised pilothouse long range trawler type boat.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #54
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
How will you spend the 5K Bligh?
Update: rejected as I typed.
I suspect nothing will suit, a custom build is indicated.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #55

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
stirring up mischief

The approach of "bring it to my counter and if i like it I will pay" is problematic. I do not sell boats but I have those propositions everyday and turn them down every day. GG- you need to have a little skin in the game.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #56
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Of all the boats that I have seen my feeling is the 66 ft Choy Lee is the best fit. Single/twin engine, long range, rounded stern, 4 or 5 staterooms, with in the budget. There are several for sale and one is in North Carolina. The concern was it did not have the range to cross an ocean. However, one of the 66 was bought the owner is taking it to Australia. Might want to go back an look at it again. 1990 66 (ft.) CHEOY LEE Wide Body Long Range Cruiser for sale in Seabrook, TX. | ID 31067

The Pacific Marine 65 ft is my wifes favorit. But it does not quite meets your range requiment . 2000 Pacific Mariner Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com If you buy one please do not tell my wife!

The Northern Marine is my favoite but a little out of price range. There are several for sale. 2004 Northern Marine Pilothouse LRC "RAVEN" Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Phil, I agree, in fact that last one you linked is my idea of a real sea-going, ocean-crossing boat, for sure...
Old 09-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
That's not a boat. It's a nightclub disguised as a yacht

But seriously, it's gorgeous. I haven't seen anything like that yet. They must have put tons of money to get all that fancy neon lighting And I don't know what kind of crazy wide angle camera was used, looks like a mansion.

Thanks for posting it, but I'm staying away from MYs. I'm looking for a raised pilothouse long range trawler type boat.
Totally agree with you there GG. Way too gin-palacy...
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I look at this vessel as a trawler catamaran....just a faster trawler. It has some elements of a tug boat look to it as well.

The MOST important thing it has is shallow draft. I believe you will likely limit yourself for the firat 5 years to an operating area that will include the easy coast of the USA and the Bahama Islands. Shallow draft will be important !! It will allow to to explore a much greater area. It will allow you anchor out in areas not reachable by a great many other boats. It will allow for possible much fewer mishaps with prop and shaft mishaps which can become quite expensive. just to name a few.

The twin engines widely spaced apart will making handling the vessel a breeze. The relatively small size of these engines will make for a good fuel economy, and will be relatively easy on repair bills should they become neccessary.

The potential greater speed of this vessel could also be an asset with the youger generation. I've had several older displacement speed trawler owners tell me that it is difficult to get their grandkids to come for a visit/cruise on their too-slow old boats.

I don't understand your comment about the deck area of the catamaram? For a given length the catamaran generally possesses the greater outdoor deck space than does the monohull vessel. The photos I have of this 62' cat don't do justice to that BIG aft deck area.

Notice that in this first photo there is an awning material that is rolled up along the railing ready to stretch out over that aft deck area.

Attachment 22700

That big aft deck becomes an outdoor salon and galley. A lot of the cooking and eating can be done out there, thus keeping ther interior free of cooking odors, cooking heat, and the condensation associated with cooking gases.

That big deck area is just waiting for creative applications from diving preps, to jet-ski operations, etc, etc.
Brian, they are very nice boats. I don't care for the layout of the great room/family/galley area. Although, I have seen a couple that were layed different and would work, but then those either didn't have enough states or the price was too far north. I also like the multiple deck areas that trawlers offer. With 5 kids, I want to be sure that everyone has space to spread out. Also, and I'm sure that I will be corrected on this, but cats, don't seem as seaworthy as some other vessels. Let's say, for example, if I wanted to check out parts of Alaska in a few years. I can't see myself in a cat, in Alaska. I more envision a boat with a much deeper draft. I don't want a boat with location limitations. That being said, I do admit that I could be wrong about that. I really haven't looked into them a whole lot.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post

Phil, I'm not a big fan of the Cheoy Lee's. Some of them had bad leaking problems. But, there are some very nice ones out there were the leaking has been corrected or maybe never did leak. The "Sopresser", that sold a few months ago is one. I really want a raised pilothouse. This has limited my choices quite a bit, but I am going to hang in their a while longer and try and get one. The boat that I wanted/lost had a raised pilothouse. I loved it on the screen, but when I saw it person, I knew that I would have to have a raised pilothouse. The view is monumentally different. I am a newbee, as we all know , so I think the view will be a great help with the learning. Also, when the pilothouse is raised, it often frees up space below for other stuff, without increasing length.

This boat is way north of the budget, and, I probably haven't seen it because, I believe that is a planning hull??? I skip all boats with planning hulls.

This boat would work, but the price. If I had a million to spend, I probably wouldn't have needed to ask for help from you guys. I would have bought that Nordy in Florida for 750

You definitely have the right idea, and probably know what I need better than many. Thanks for looking. Please let me know if you spot anything else
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
GG - If you find yourself walking by the Cruising Outpost booth (the new magazine that "replaced" Latitudes & Attitudes), stop by and say hi to my wife, Lisa O'Brien. She's the ad director for Cruising Outpost, and we were talking about you, your family and goals last night. First thing she said is, "I'd like to meet her"!
Darren,

I will be sure to stop by and say Hi to her.
Closed Thread