Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #121

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I don't understand how this subject tread has 'ruined' this or any other forum.??

Whether she buys a boat or not doesn't take away from the fact that these subject threads(s) have brought to the fore a lot of interesting boats that might never have been mentioned on a boating forum,....and this is a boating forum, isn't it??

Plus she has actively participated right along with the subject, and in many cases offered some reasonable objections to certain suggested vessels even within her limited knowledge of boats (first time buyer).

So if you are tired of reading about her 'adventure' and some of the MANY different suggestions that other contributors are likely having fun contributing (living her dream), then go off and read other threads and bring them back to life (up into the top ten).

There is a lot of good info in many of those older subject threads that deserves a refreshing.

...my 2 cents
Totally agree. Not sure what's wrong with being presented with a challenging trawler-related scavenger hunt. Those who are knowledgeable provide their assistance, and those who are not learn from the exchange. I started several threads with hypothetical boat-hunting scenarios just as a effort to learn what's important to those who have been there, done that.

It's really too bad if in fact a number of notable NAs have been previously scared off this site. I hope the recent thread regarding the Great Harbours are a sign of things to come. I also hope those NAs who still haunt these halls continue to contribute.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #122
Guru

City: Cleveland
I have been watching this post and the more I read, the odder this post becomes too me.

I can name a number of things that are odd about all of this, but the main one too me is why would someone want to throw away 5k? Well if you have it I guess you can do it!

To me, if I am looking for a vessel and I cannot find one I like or fits my needs, then I go to a broker and tell him/ her. "This what I want. This what I will pay, now go find me my vessel!"

Any broker worth his/her weight, will have 5 to 10 vessels lined up for me to look at with in a day or so.

Brokers can find any kind of vessel anywhere around the world, (If they are any good!)

If those vessels are not too my liking, then that broker will say. "No worries, I know where some more are!" and we keep looking.

In today market, lager vessels from 55 and up are not selling well, due to the price tags. Smaller vessels are selling really well, so there are a great deal of lager vessels out there to be had and Brokers know it.

So too me why would I pay or offer 5k to someone that is not in the business of wheeling and dealing vessels. The odds of that person finding my vessel before a Broker is all most zero. So why do it?

It's just odd to me to make an offer like that and simply poor business smarts, that's the way I see it and I have owned my own business for over 20 years.

But that is me and as I said, if you have the cash I guess you can throw it away after all it is your cash.

I hope GG finds her vessel and some lucky soul hits the jackpot of 5k. I know it will not be me. LOL

Happy cruising too all

H. Forster

Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #123
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
I have been watching this post and the more I read, the odder this post becomes too me.

I can name a number of things that are odd about all of this, but the main one too me is why would someone want to throw away 5k? Well if you have it I guess you can do it!

To me, if I am looking for a vessel and I cannot find one I like or fits my needs, then I go to a broker and tell him/ her. "This what I want. This what I will pay, now go find me my vessel!"

Any broker worth his/her weight, will have 5 to 10 vessels lined up for me to look at with in a day or so.

Brokers can find any kind of vessel anywhere around the world, (If they are any good!)

If those vessels are not too my liking, then that broker will say. "No worries, I know where some more are!" and we keep looking.

In today market, lager vessels from 55 and up are not selling well, due to the price tags. Smaller vessels are selling really well, so there are a great deal of lager vessels out there to be had and Brokers know it.

So too me why would I pay or offer 5k to someone that is not in the business of wheeling and dealing vessel. The odds of that person finding my vessel before a Broker is all most zero. So why do it?

It's just odd to me to make an offer like that and simply poor business smarts, that's the way I see it and I have owned my own business for over 20 years.

But that is me and as I said, if you have the cash I guess you can throw it away after all it is your cash.

I hope GG finds her vessel and some lucky soul hits the jackpot of 5k. I know it will not be me. LOL

Happy cruising too all

H. Forster
Couldn't of said it better myself.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #124
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I don't understand how this subject tread has 'ruined' this or any other forum.??

Whether she buys a boat or not doesn't take away from the fact that these subject threads(s) have brought to the fore a lot of interesting boats that might never have been mentioned on a boating forum,....and this is a boating forum, isn't it??

Plus she has actively participated right along with the subject, and in many cases offered some reasonable objections to certain suggested vessels even within her limited knowledge of boats (first time buyer).

So if you are tired of reading about her 'adventure' and some of the MANY different suggestions that other contributors are likely having fun contributing (living her dream), then go off and read other threads and bring them back to life (up into the top ten).

There is a lot of good info in many of those older subject threads that deserves a refreshing.

...my 2 cents
In another forum and possibly on this one...I noticed that the vast majority of knowledgeable and sensible posters left a long time ago...because of the responses to their posts and possibly what the threads eventually turned into.

Most of the people still posting in her numerous threads are a bunch of misguided, inexperienced cheerleaders who are trying to get her to buy stuff she has clearly said no to many times over. They are 'feel good" types who don't offer substantial input as they really have no experience in vessels she is looking for...other than their ability to look in Yachtworld, etc....so she is getting what she decided to get by encouraging them and saying how much she has learned (don't see how because of what has been posted most of the time).

I don't agree that there has been a lot of good info...especially the posts looking at canal boats when she cleary states she wants a passagemaker...so like many of the posts...just an exercise in peoples egos.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #125
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
I am reminded of the old saying "opinions are like a**holes... Everybody's got one".
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #126
Guru

wow...read that in a magazine someplace?
Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #127
Guru

On a better note;

Sitting outside on a beautiful evening on Beach St in Daytona enjoying wine, the breeze and the people walking and driving by.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
On a better note;

Sitting outside on a beautiful evening on Beach St in Daytona enjoying wine, the breeze and the people walking and driving by.
Hopefully that till encourage someone to buy a boat...
Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #129
Guru

God it must be nice to be Beach Bum!!!!! LOL Enjoy

H Foster
Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #130
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Hopefully that till encourage someone to buy a boat...
Saw an Eagle fly by!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #131
Guru

Psneeld

LOL LOL That was way to funny! LOL LOL
Old 09-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #132
Guru

Jackie Robinson Ballpark

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130914_181041.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	22891
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #133
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Have what you want built . Send me a pm and tell you where to send the 5,000
Old 09-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #134
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post

So too me why would I pay or offer 5k to someone that is not in the business of wheeling and dealing vessels. The odds of that person finding my vessel before a Broker is all most zero. So why do it?

Happy cruising too all

H. Forster
She may have wore out her welcome with the broker world. Somebody this particular can cause an individual a lot of work and over time they get disgusted and give up. I hope she finds something soon, if not, I have several properties in SC and sell her with many bedrooms/staterooms!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #135

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
$5,000 Reward

Wow, why are their Negative Nancys this thread should feels more like a bunch of college coeds sitting around a camp fire discussing their life goals and how they are going about them, and I personally like the glow of a fire a little to drink and the joy of talking to bright people who have something inspiring to say! I think it is fun that GG is picky and does not faultier in her quest for what she is looking for, as far as boat brokers so far the ones I have met want you to do your homework. They are there to sell a boat. This site is full of information and bright people who have something inspiring to say, support this and try hard not to rain on that fires glow! Who here has not taken a challenge from a friend with and without success and walked away better from it. I threw that Cheoy Lee in the challenge and also challenge you to do better and hope you beat me!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #136
FF
Guru

<I think it is fun that GG is picky and does not faultier in her quest for what she is looking for>

What she has been looking for was never really defined , except BIG.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #137
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
<I think it is fun that GG is picky and does not faultier in her quest for what she is looking for>

What she has been looking for was never really defined , except BIG.

From the link on post #1:

Looking for:
  • 55-70′
  • Raised Pilothouse
  • At least 3 staterooms
  • (later clarified to at least 4 staterooms, or 3 plus crew quarters; see post #71)
  • Steel or Fiberglass
  • Trawler/Expedition Style
  • Long Range
  • Passagemaking Capability
  • List Price not to exceed around $600k
While that's painting with a broad brush, the implications behind some of the requirements generally point to only a few basic types of boats...

Of course, that still leaves several ways to get there from here. And probably some of the almost-candidates on the fringes would probably make very good Plan B boats if perfection doesn't appear on the horizon soon enough.

-Chris
Old 09-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #138
FF
Guru

Looking at that list ,

The Choy Lee 66 would be first look, to see what compromises were a stopper.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...s#.UjW0dn9BCho

4 state rooms and under budget

8V71 can be rebuilt in place anywhere in the world if ever required ,tho with 3500 hours there good for a couple of circumnavigations , IF they have been properly maintained .

Genuine Ocean Passagemaking would only require modest restrictions , NO North Atlantic in winter , no cyclones or hurricanes , and probably a fuel bladder ot two for a Pacific crossing on one of the longer routes.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #139

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5

Just saw this one for you to peak at!
1987 Ocean Alexander 71 Cockpit Motoryacht Boat for Sale (02841) in Virginia Beach City County, VA - Specs and Photos - POP Yachts
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #140
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35

No Motor Yachts! See earlier posts.

Closed Thread