Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #81

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
Your requirements for number of cabins is one of the major problems -- most folks with the money to buy 60 foot boats are retired and not worried about long-term rugrat infestations. Hence they are more worried about big VIP guest suites than packing kids in bunks.

There is however one boat that I know of that will meet your needs. I have been aboard this boat and it's waaayyyy beyond creampuff. Originally built for Harry See, of See's Candy (and as an interesting aside, he sold the the wooden Garden in Portland to replace it with this boat). However the reason I know the design so well is because this is an exact sistership to Island Eagle. The layout for a family just does not get any better. Three roomy double cabins forward, one massive master aft. Full height, walk-around engineroom with exterior access. The one for sale has a captain's cabin in the pilothouse, which IE does not have. Saloon that seats 10 comfortably.

Price is a bit high, but I'm guessing there is some room for negotiations.

1967 Sutton/DeFever Steel Hull, LRC, PilotHouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Does this Starlight have the same engine as your Island eagle? What's the fuel burn?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Didn't you bring this boat up a while ago and she shot it down?
Yes, he did, my Mom loves it also. This has always been her favorite, but the price is too far north for me.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #83
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
GG - I would have thought there would have been numerous boats outs there that fit the bill, but the 4-5 cabin requirement certainly reduces the choices.

Have you thought about a boat with extra deck space where an extra cabin could be added cost effectively? Something like this.

70′ Steel Motor Cruiser | Anchorline Yacht Brokers
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #84

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Does this Starlight have the same engine as your Island eagle? What's the fuel burn?
No. Island Eagle has a single 6-110; Starlight has twin 6-71s. If I had a choice, I'd have a 6-71 instead of a g-110. It's the single most popular diesel engine ever built, and parts are universally available at low cost.

Fuel burn is unimportant in the scheme of things, it will represent less than 5% of the cost of owning a boat.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 09-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #85
Guru

Here's a couple with 4 cabins, if you don't mind a long delivery home.
The fuel bill on the 1st one might be a bit excessive, though.

Used Southern Ocean Yachts 65 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
Used Raised Pilothouse Motor Yacht for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
GG - I would have thought there would have been numerous boats outs there that fit the bill, but the 4-5 cabin requirement certainly reduces the choices.

Have you thought about a boat with extra deck space where an extra cabin could be added cost effectively? Something like this.

70′ Steel Motor Cruiser | Anchorline Yacht Brokers

This is a GREAT find!!! Thank You!!! I'm sure there has to be somewhere to squeeze in another berth or 2. I e-mailed the broker. I'll call Tuesday. (Out of town tomorrow)
Old 09-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Here's a couple with 4 cabins, if you don't mind a long delivery home.
The fuel bill on the 1st one might be a bit excessive, though.

Used Southern Ocean Yachts 65 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

The layout on this one confused me. Looks like the only kitchen is outside. It looks like a sturdy build, too bad it didn't have a pilothouse.

Used Raised Pilothouse Motor Yacht for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

This is a beautiful boat, but the price is way north.
You're finding some good ones, especially that Idlewise. Thanks!!! I appreciate the help. I'll keep you posted Let me know if you spot anything else
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
This is a GREAT find!!! Thank You!!! I'm sure there has to be somewhere to squeeze in another berth or 2. I e-mailed the broker. I'll call Tuesday. (Out of town tomorrow)
GG - You may have noticed the same broker has a Cheoy Lee 61 with 4 cabins as well.

Cheoy Lee 61′ Motor Yacht | Anchorline Yacht Brokers

As the Aussie dollar has dropped below the US, you can multiply the price by .92, which might go a long way to pay for transport north.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #89
Guru

Benn/Tidapah knows the Anchorline brokerage well. I think the shipwright side of the family did his recent major refit. I flew up to see a boat they listed, did not buy, but found them helpful, knowledgeable and direct, above many other brokers. Still, it`s the boat that matters.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #90
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Ocean Pilothouse Motor Cruiser | Anchorline Yacht Brokers
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Looks like a very nice boat, in excellent condition, but too small for us. Thanks for posting it. Let me know if you spot anything else
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #92
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
Your requirements for number of cabins is one of the major problems -- most folks with the money to buy 60 foot boats are retired and not worried about long-term rugrat infestations. Hence they are more worried about big VIP guest suites than packing kids in bunks.

There is however one boat that I know of that will meet your needs. I have been aboard this boat and it's waaayyyy beyond creampuff. Originally built for Harry See, of See's Candy (and as an interesting aside, he sold the the wooden Garden in Portland to replace it with this boat). However the reason I know the design so well is because this is an exact sistership to Island Eagle. The layout for a family just does not get any better. Three roomy double cabins forward, one massive master aft. Full height, walk-around engineroom with exterior access. The one for sale has a captain's cabin in the pilothouse, which IE does not have. Saloon that seats 10 comfortably.

Price is a bit high, but I'm guessing there is some room for negotiations.

1967 Sutton/DeFever Steel Hull, LRC, PilotHouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Amazing boat as a young boy we would ride our bikes to the boat yard and watch the Greeks work

Sutton produced some amazing working boats back in those days
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #93
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post

Benford ???

Don't know if any are for sale.

Benford Design Group
I was thinking the same thing Salty, particularly as I am just now reviewing his 'Small Ships' book I bought from him at a meeting we had about a month ago.

I had known of these 'Florida Bay Coasters' for a number of years, but being a sailboater they had never held an interest for me.

Are there any owners of the vessels that participate on this forum?

Interesting, simple bottom form/shape/construction.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #94
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I've seen a couple Coasters, at least one nearby and one underway... looked tippy here in the Chesapeake, although that's just the impression I get (i.e., without benefit of fact).

Access to stern lines is through the lower cabin, presumably followed by hand and arm (or radio) signals to/from the bridge deck.

-Chris
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #95

When Florida Bay Coaster "Irony" was for sale a few months ago, I struggled with that one. The interior was extremely homey and comfortable (through photos), but I was concerned about the seaworthiness. I have considered the Radiant Star? in Cali, but if I bought it, I would know that in 2-3 years I would probably be ready to sell.

If I could get "Red Head" and carry my truck aboard, now that would be hard to resist
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #96
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Jay Bedford posted on this site a while back but he was mean-mouthed so badly, he left and never returned. (to the best of my recollection)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #97
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Jay Bedford posted on this site a while back but he was mean-mouthed so badly, he left and never returned. (to the best of my recollection)
Jay Benford as well? I know Chuck Neville was treated so poorly that he quickly moved on.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #98
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
I moor my boat next to Idlewise. She is a fantastic boat and you simply will not find a boat in better condition overall than her. Her owner looks after her extremely well and she is 100% ready to go to sea for any trip.

However, i think you will have major issues taking her or any other Aus boat to the USA. Apart from astronomical ($100K plus) costs to ship her, the electrical wiring would not be correct for USA 110 volts. We have 240 volts here and as such the gauge of wiring only needs to carry the smaller amps with that voltage. In USA, your wiring is far more substantial than ours due to this fact. I bouat a USA boat and it is not an issue coming from USA to Aus as the wiring is now oversized for our lesser amps flowing through it.

As well, Idlewise is a massive boat 70 + tons and everything is big on boats this size. I certainly would not be wanting to take her on as a first boat, but i have followed the threads so far across various forums and this is obviously not a concern for you, so that must be fine.

Otherwise, Idlewise actually has a massive flybridge house with big captain's berth and table, head etc. So plenty of room. The engine room actually has 7 ft of headroom. She is a huge boat.

SOme of the Cheoy Lee boats for sale in Aus, actually were sailed out from USA. Would be strange to sail them back again...lots of money wasted in shipping over the life of the boat.

Good luck with your search, i certainly would not look here in Aus though...
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohans View Post
I moor my boat next to Idlewise. She is a fantastic boat and you simply will not find a boat in better condition overall than her. Her owner looks after her extremely well and she is 100% ready to go to sea for any trip.

However, i think you will have major issues taking her or any other Aus boat to the USA. Apart from astronomical ($100K plus) costs to ship her, the electrical wiring would not be correct for USA 110 volts. We have 240 volts here and as such the gauge of wiring only needs to carry the smaller amps with that voltage. In USA, your wiring is far more substantial than ours due to this fact. I bouat a USA boat and it is not an issue coming from USA to Aus as the wiring is now oversized for our lesser amps flowing through it.

As well, Idlewise is a massive boat 70 + tons and everything is big on boats this size. I certainly would not be wanting to take her on as a first boat, but i have followed the threads so far across various forums and this is obviously not a concern for you, so that must be fine.

Otherwise, Idlewise actually has a massive flybridge house with big captain's berth and table, head etc. So plenty of room. The engine room actually has 7 ft of headroom. She is a huge boat.

SOme of the Cheoy Lee boats for sale in Aus, actually were sailed out from USA. Would be strange to sail them back again...lots of money wasted in shipping over the life of the boat.

Good luck with your search, i certainly would not look here in Aus though...
She does look like a very nice boat, right up my alley. Your right, shipping costs are very high and the electric would also be a problem. Thanks for chiming in
Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Jay Benford as well? I know Chuck Neville was treated so poorly that he quickly moved on.
why is that not surprising

Closed Thread