Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Craig, the skipper requirement does vary per the situation. In your case, as you're not a full time owner, the skipper requirement would be more of a training requirement- that is, no solo operations would be permitted until either a mandatory number of hours of training were completed, or until the training skipper signed you off as competent to operate the vessel.

As GG is a first time boat owner, the skipper requirement would be for anytime the vessel left port. Since they live aboard, the skipper wound re required only when leaving port. It's assumed that any time the vessel is underway, it would also be a training evolution; in time the skipper requirement could be removed and they could solo navigate the vessel.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
GG - Here are a few I found in the Pacific NW. If you've already seen any of these on YachtWorld, sorry. Found them on other sites...

First one has a thread about her on this forum ( 50ft Amazing Custom Liveaboard Diesel Twin Screw Trawler for Sale ). A very unique and stout vessel. She's only 49', but might suffice if you convert the foc'sle back to a berth area. That would give her 3 staterooms: 49ft Unique Long Range Liveaboard Trawler

This 59' Gulf Commander has a thick fiberglass hull with fiberglass sheathed wood topsides. Been boathouse kept in BC, Canada by what appears to be caring and financially able owners. Has 1,400 gal fuel capacity, but not sure how that equates to overall range: PF4118 - Lady Laura I Details - Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.

Converted sieners are fairly popular around here. This one is unique but looks like she'd make a very comfortable liveaboard for your clan. Only 800 gal fuel capacity, though that could be expanded: PS3831 - Lasqueti Star Details - Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.

Here's a 4-stateroom "motoryacht" with range (2,500 US gal fuel capacity). Though with twin DD 671s, not quite as fuel efficient as you might like. But given the asking price, perhaps a re-power with newer more efficient engines might make her perfect: Trade our 60' yacht for your home or income property

This one we almost looked at during our search due to her design and pedigree (William Garden is my favorite designer!). But for us she was the opposite of what you're looking for as we wanted to stay under 50'. She has an interesting history and from what knowledgeable people have told me needs A LOT of work, but she's a diamond in the rough. She's also wood which is not on your list of hull materials, but is built very stoutly. Could be a gorgeous go-anywhere vessel with a refit in the $200,000 range: CLASSIC 1958 67' Trawler "Garden" by Vic Franck

If I find anymore I'll post them here. Good luck!

- Darren

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Thank you. Sounds perfectly reasonable. Great to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Had it been full time employment for one calendar year, in my case at least, it woulda turned a $600k boat into a $500k boat in a hurry.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
What we did is get a listing of the Washington state brokers and when to called/visit them. All brokers have to be registered with in their state. Here is a listing of all the new England brokers that you can go through. http://marinesource.com/brokers/brokerinfo/new_england_list.cfm Not all boats for sale are on yacht world unless the owner want to pay for it, so there are a lot of boats not listed. So do a search of brokers by state.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
Guru

Not that I expect to be the recipient of the $5K, but to respond to earlier posts I would assume that the $5K is in addition to any brokerage fees paid by the seller.
Secondly, I hope GG is planning on attending the Newport boat show next week. They do have some brokerage vessels as well as lots of other good stuff!!
Personally, I hope to have sold my boat by then, fingers crossed!!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
GG, sorry you are not having good luck! I feel your frustration.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #27

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
GG - Here are a few I found in the Pacific NW. If you've already seen any of these on YachtWorld, sorry. Found them on other sites...

First one has a thread about her on this forum ( 50ft Amazing Custom Liveaboard Diesel Twin Screw Trawler for Sale ). A very unique and stout vessel. She's only 49', but might suffice if you convert the foc'sle back to a berth area. That would give her 3 staterooms: 49ft Unique Long Range Liveaboard Trawler

This I have seen, and it must be a good one because 2 others have pointed it out as well It would make a nice weekender for my clan, but not full time liveaboard.

This 59' Gulf Commander has a thick fiberglass hull with fiberglass sheathed wood topsides. Been boathouse kept in BC, Canada by what appears to be caring and financially able owners. Has 1,400 gal fuel capacity, but not sure how that equates to overall range: PF4118 - Lady Laura I Details - Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.

This one looks decent, but not enough staterooms. Many, many great boats have been eliminated because of only 3 states.

Converted sieners are fairly popular around here. This one is unique but looks like she'd make a very comfortable liveaboard for your clan. Only 800 gal fuel capacity, though that could be expanded: PS3831 - Lasqueti Star Details - Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.

This one is interesting. I hate all the blue formica, but it seems to have plenty of sleeping berths despite the size. The engine room makes me very nervous. Not sure if it's the case, but things look fairly rusty and worn in there.

Here's a 4-stateroom "motoryacht" with range (2,500 US gal fuel capacity). Though with twin DD 671s, not quite as fuel efficient as you might like. But given the asking price, perhaps a re-power with newer more efficient engines might make her perfect: Trade our 60' yacht for your home or income property

I e-mailed the owner for photos.

This one we almost looked at during our search due to her design and pedigree (William Garden is my favorite designer!). But for us she was the opposite of what you're looking for as we wanted to stay under 50'. She has an interesting history and from what knowledgeable people have told me needs A LOT of work, but she's a diamond in the rough. She's also wood which is not on your list of hull materials, but is built very stoutly. Could be a gorgeous go-anywhere vessel with a refit in the $200,000 range: CLASSIC 1958 67' Trawler "Garden" by Vic Franck

This one is the best. Looks similar to another that I saw somewhere. I really like the design. Nervous about refit, but I'm going to e-mail them for more info and photos. I'll keep you posted.

If I find anymore I'll post them here. Good luck!

- Darren
Thanks Darren for posting all of these.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
This is a beautiful boat, but not exactly the space that I need. Thanks for posting it.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Not that I expect to be the recipient of the $5K, but to respond to earlier posts I would assume that the $5K is in addition to any brokerage fees paid by the seller.
Secondly, I hope GG is planning on attending the Newport boat show next week. They do have some brokerage vessels as well as lots of other good stuff!!
Personally, I hope to have sold my boat by then, fingers crossed!!
A broker fee paid by seller would only apply if you are a broker and want to co-broke the listing, and if that is the case, then yes it would absolutely be in addition.

Yes, I am planning on attending the Newport Show. Looking forward to it, and, it's just up the road from here
Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Hi GalaxyGirl,
I'd really like to hear your comments on such a vessel as these Euro canal boats.

To me its seems it would make a great liveaboard for your family, And I suspect you might have a resale market for it in this country once you finish with it as there are so few here.

...a few canal boat threads

Living aboard a French canal boat

Dutch Euro Barges, None in North America? - Page 3 - Boat Design Forums

Dutch Barge long distance cruisers - Boat Design Forums

Somehow the direct link to these 2 specific designs is not available,...rather you have to go to their website and scroll along the left side of the page until you see one of these two drawings, then click on them....

Luxe motor 2000 deksalon
Luxe Motor 2000 deksalon 2
Euroship Services, computer en snijservice voor de scheeps- en jachtbouw
Brian, I think these are similar to what RTF posted. They are very nice boats, but don't have the space I need. I'm also not a fan of the helm being integrated with the salon. Thanks for pointing them out.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
What we did is get a listing of the Washington state brokers and when to called/visit them. All brokers have to be registered with in their state. Here is a listing of all the new England brokers that you can go through. http://marinesource.com/brokers/brokerinfo/new_england_list.cfm Not all boats for sale are on yacht world unless the owner want to pay for it, so there are a lot of boats not listed. So do a search of brokers by state.
My Mom was saying the same thing Phil, that we need to start calling around to brokers and telling them what we are looking for.

This is also exactly why I offered the finders fee, just in case others can find boats that I cannot.

I will start calling around tomorrow. Thanks for the tip
Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
62' Powercat
You would be surprised at the amount of room availabe on a catamaran.

A good friend of mine ownes this, and several weeks ago said he might be considering selling her as he has moved ashore into a house. I'd like to be able to afford it, but its beyond my means.

See some pictures here
YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend -
YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend -

Brian

PS: Don't be confused by the title (and dollars) of that subject thread. This cat is within your price range. And its upkeep will be FAR less than you might be spending on some other big boats you have been considering.
Brian, someone on another forum has been pushing me on cats, but I would prefer a trawler. This boat is quite spacious though, but the outdoor space just isn't the same. Thanks for posting it.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #33

I actually like Great Harbor boats, but I like the other larger version. 5 kids need lots of space
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #34
FF
Guru

GG,

Give a list of your requirements , desirements , and what you would find unacceptable.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
larger Great Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I actually like Great Harbor boats, but I like the other larger version. 5 kids need lots of space
I wasn't really suggesting the 37 footer at all, its just the only one I had been aboard in person and had photo of. Sure I thought you needed at least the 47'.

Then again maybe their 74' that only exist in their plans?....ha...ha

Maybe you could make them a special offer to get that project going,...perhaps a simplfied KISS version to begin with?

Here is a subject threat on the Great Harbor boats that both the owner of GH and the designer joined in:
Great Harbor Trawlers still in business?

Great Harbor Trawlers still in business?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
65' Malahide North Sea Trawler Yachtworld
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Give a list of your requirements , desirements , and what you would find unacceptable.
That is a large can of worms. There is an epically long thread at Cruisers Forum that documents her requirements. I think there is one here too.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Brian, I think these are similar to what RTF posted. They are very nice boats, but don't have the space I need.
The superstructure/upper-cabin is quite a bit larger on the model I posted. And I don't think it would be a big deal to stretch this design by 10-15 feet. The rectangular, 2-story, volume has to be the largest such interior space optainable in a fixed hull length.

Personally if I was going after such a vessel I would likely chose to build the hull in steel as they have, BUT the decks and superstructure in polyproplyene honeycomb fiberglass as I am concurrenty considering for several other designs, including this Pilgrim trawler redesign
Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

STEEL HULLS with Composite Superstructure / Topsides - Page 5 - Boat Design Forums

STEEL HULLS with Composite Superstructure / Topsides - Page 4 - Boat Design Forums

Quote:
I'm also not a fan of the helm being integrated with the salon. Thanks for pointing them out.
I really like this open helm design on the canal boat Roi Soleil
Click image for larger version

Name:	roi_soleil_salon, helm, ps640.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	22687

Name:	mariasteeringsite, ps640.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	22688

Of couse the catamaran I mentioned really has a great helm station, isolated from salon, great visability, and even an off-duty berth for the companion helmsman.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7569.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	22689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7571.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	22690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7572.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	22691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7574.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	22692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7555.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	22693  

Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #39
Guru

Trawler Catamaran

Quote:
Brian, someone on another forum has been pushing me on cats, but I would prefer a trawler. This boat is quite spacious though, but the outdoor space just isn't the same. Thanks for posting it.
I look at this vessel as a trawler catamaran....just a faster trawler. It has some elements of a tug boat look to it as well.

The MOST important thing it has is shallow draft. I believe you will likely limit yourself for the firat 5 years to an operating area that will include the easy coast of the USA and the Bahama Islands. Shallow draft will be important !! It will allow to to explore a much greater area. It will allow you anchor out in areas not reachable by a great many other boats. It will allow for possible much fewer mishaps with prop and shaft mishaps which can become quite expensive. just to name a few.

The twin engines widely spaced apart will making handling the vessel a breeze. The relatively small size of these engines will make for a good fuel economy, and will be relatively easy on repair bills should they become neccessary.

The potential greater speed of this vessel could also be an asset with the youger generation. I've had several older displacement speed trawler owners tell me that it is difficult to get their grandkids to come for a visit/cruise on their too-slow old boats.

I don't understand your comment about the deck area of the catamaram? For a given length the catamaran generally possesses the greater outdoor deck space than does the monohull vessel. The photos I have of this 62' cat don't do justice to that BIG aft deck area.

Notice that in this first photo there is an awning material that is rolled up along the railing ready to stretch out over that aft deck area.

Name:	Bill's aftdeck also.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	22700

That big aft deck becomes an outdoor salon and galley. A lot of the cooking and eating can be done out there, thus keeping ther interior free of cooking odors, cooking heat, and the condensation associated with cooking gases.

That big deck area is just waiting for creative applications from diving preps, to jet-ski operations, etc, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7674.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	22701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7673.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	22702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7672.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	22703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7541.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	22704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7542.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	22705  

Name:	IMG_7539.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	22706  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #40
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Man... Finding a slip for that monster would be a challenge. Certainly here in NC. ;-)

Closed Thread