Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #281
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Kind of like a NASCAR race, everyone loves the crashes and hates when their guy/girl is out of the race.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #282
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Maybe she's gun shy George?
She is certainly not afraid to ask questions, and has a ready willing and very able forum to get them answered in. But she makes it hard to provide answers since she is unwilling to provide any details or pictures or background information. Expert and able people volunteer to come by and help, and suddenly her location or story changes or she just goes dark. (see above on itinerary). The HOF, as is its mission, is a place where helping other vintage Hatteras owners , especially new ones , is pretty much the whole game. If indeed she has this boat, and there is no reason at all to think not, it would be going much easier for her if she was a little more open and helpful herself. But as happened here, that seems not to be her nature. I will go on trying to help her as much as I can.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #283
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post
Agreement with BandB

I for one have been caught (disappointingly so) reading this thread and the analogy for myself has been that of when one drive's by a bad accident scene. You feel sorrow, etc. for those involved but can't help looking at the devastation.

Early on, I subscribed to the GG thread for entertainment purposes. Unfortunately, IMO too many of her initial inquiries were responded to and then met with with an inter-web stand-offish shrug when there wasn't agreement. Since opinions are like asses (we all have 'em), I continued to read, continued to learn about human nature, and for the most part, enjoyed the conversation. Personally, I think if it were a male posting and responding as GG did, the critiques and responding comments would have been much harsher. Too many other examples on this forum indicates as such.

Now, it's slid into an odd assortment of taking sides for some reason. Those who thought she really would pull it off, etc, those defending her, and everything in between. So, for my self, unsubscribe and ignore any new postings. I believe this one has run its course.

"Nothing to look at here folks, please move along."
I agree...I'll just wait for the reality TV show...there's already one "*****" snooping around here for EXACTLY what GG has to offer.

Only in America as they say.....
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #284
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
..there's already one "*****" snooping around here for EXACTLY what GG has to offer.
huh?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #285
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
huh?
There was a reality TV show producer snooping around here and another forum for people who live aboard and would be interested in sharing. At least one of these forums..but I think I saw the "inquiry" several places.

They weren't looking for normal boaters and liveaboards...no reality TV is looking for REAL people or jobs or anything...they are looking for entertainment and the GG story is right up their alley.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #286
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
At 286 posts and counting, it certainly seems to be entertaining to the TF.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #287

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I read a few of her blog posts. I think she is proud of not knowing much about boating. She does absolutely no productive research, doesn't accept or appreciate constructive criticism, and counts on the kindness of strangers to get by. It makes for a fun read if you don't know anything about boating safety, but she's a 50/50 shot at killing herself and her kids when she makes the run up the East Coast. I'm not reading any more of her drivel.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #288
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The truth hurts.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #289
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There was a reality TV show producer snooping around here and another forum for people who live aboard and would be interested in sharing. At least one of these forums..but I think I saw the "inquiry" several places.

They weren't looking for normal boaters and liveaboards...no reality TV is looking for REAL people or jobs or anything...they are looking for entertainment and the GG story is right up their alley.
I have seen the producer's posts on at least three boating websites. On the last website, not one person answered publicly.

Unfortunately, you are correct about GG. Can you imagine the footage they would have had along with the teaser ads if the camera's had been aboard when the captain went swimming and GG and son had to rescue him.

That was a very near miss mess.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #290
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Yeah, that was a near miss mess, so stay tuned, there's so much more to come.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #291
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Can you imagine the footage they would have had along with the teaser ads if the camera's had been aboard when the captain went swimming and GG and son had to rescue him.
The producer would have probably said "Go under one more time. Swallow some water this time." Then turned to her and said "Take off your clothes then dive in to save him."

You know we act like contrived reality is new. We see the fights on Lizard Lick and camera men and a crew there and they just let Ronnie get beaten up without involving themselves. Really? But this is really not new. Wild Kingdom. It would be the star and someone out in the wild of Africa, all alone in this dangerous area where only the two of them were there with these incredible animals. There was some other hunting show, too. Well, the two of them and a crew of 40.

Sadly, not enough sex or violence with GG's exploits for reality tv. Now I do find her story entertaining and read her blog and follow her posts. Certainly it's different. But then I have a fascination with people who are a bit different. Would probably annoy the heck out of me in person but that's beside the point. I mean my favorite tv reality star is Danielle from American Pickers and I would never get a tattoo myself.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #292
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I mean my favorite tv reality star is Danielle from American Pickers and I would never get a tattoo myself.
Did you see the "American Pickers" show where they went to Whiddens Marina at Boca Grande. After going through their shed of junk, the pickers left taking none of it. Those yankees have no taste at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Boca Grande 3-11 013.jpg  
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #293
Guru

Quote:

You know we act like contrived reality is new. We see the fights on Lizard Lick and camera men and a crew there and they just let Ronnie get beaten up without involving themselves. Really? But this is really not new. Wild Kingdom. It would be the star and someone out in the wild of Africa, all alone in this dangerous area where only the two of them were there with these incredible animals. There was some other hunting show, too. Well, the two of them and a crew of 40.

Sadly, not enough sex or violence with GG's exploits for reality tv. Now I do find her story entertaining and read her blog and follow her posts. Certainly it's different. But then I have a fascination with people who are a bit different. Would probably annoy the heck out of me in person but that's beside the point. I mean my favorite tv reality star is Danielle from American Pickers and I would never get a tattoo myself.
We cut the "cable" years ago after many years of talking about it and accepting the status quo. Best thing we ever did and saved us a bunch of money every month. We really should have done it sooner.

As a result, I not of this American Picker, Danielle, Ronnie, or Lizzard Lick.

We were at a resort early this summer that had cable. Same old story, lots of channels with nothing worth watching.

Even as a kid, I knew Wild Kingdom was a bit of a put on but at least it was educational. I suppose the Kardashians are education on how to succeed of the stupidity of others. I only know of the K's because the morning radio show I listen too talks about them. If it was not for the radio show my Pop Culture Knowledge would be much closer to zero, which would be a good thing.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #294
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
We cut the "cable" years ago after many years of talking about it and accepting the status quo. Best thing we ever did and saved us a bunch of money every month. We really should have done it sooner.

As a result, I not of this American Picker, Danielle, Ronnie, or Lizzard Lick.

We were at a resort early this summer that had cable. Same old story, lots of channels with nothing worth watching.
Well, I must admit, we like television as an escape. We watch more of the totally ridiculous shows than we do anything serious. We don't take them seriously either. And we watch sports. My favorite show of the month that I just found recently is The Carbonaro Effect. We laugh and it's short.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #295
Guru

Quote:
Well, I must admit, we like television as an escape. We watch more of the totally ridiculous shows than we do anything serious. We don't take them seriously either. And we watch sports. My favorite show of the month that I just found recently is The Carbonaro Effect. We laugh and it's short.
We just don't watch much TV at all. The kids might turn on the main TV once during the week but they usually stream their shows. Since it is Friday, we will watch adult shows we like tonight, Saturday and Sunday.

We don't watch sports which was one reason to cut the cable cord since so much of the bill was for channels we would never watch. Unfortunately, the cable channels have gone cheap on programming, i.e., reality shows, while the service costs have increased. When the history, science and food channels went to reality shows, which are really fantasy shows, we finally cut the cord. Reading the reports on cable/sat viewer ship, I think it has peaked, and more people will do what we do, which is stream what we want, when we want it for as long as we want to watch. Cable will become an Internet provider but I digress.

This works boating wise since we also buy DVDs of our favorite shows that we watch over and over again.

If GG gets a reality show, we won't be able to watch.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #296
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
I gave our television away back in 1993 and have managed quite nicely. I do have an extensive DVD collection of probably 100 DVDs. Most days, mid-afternoon I'll make a pan of popcorn and enjoy a movie or television show.

There's even a special shelf over my bunk with the first half of my collection. Sorted alphabetically, of course:

m

And I added a spot for the second fixed VHF radio -- so I can listen from my bunk. That one is generally tuned to Wx so it's easy to check weather each morning and night. Of course the main radio has the Wx Alert on, except for Wednesday's when the system is tested.

Watching movies is great entertainment. And my DVD player (a small car variety -- 7" screen) uses just 15 watts of power. Truth to tell though, I've considered asking the Kidlet for a flat screen tv/dvd player -- for the larger screen so when I put the words on (Closed Captioning) they will be larger.

Television, when I'm at Kidlet's house, seems over-rated. That said, I did like watching Pawn Stars. And all the shows seem to repeat segments or portions thereof -- don't folks have any short-term memory?

But perhaps I have a short-term tolerance of the inane?
Old 08-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #297
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Check out BBC's Death in Paradise
Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #298
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Did you see the "American Pickers" show where they went to Whiddens Marina at Boca Grande. After going through their shed of junk, the pickers left taking none of it. Those yankees have no taste at all.
Missed that one.
Closed Thread