Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #261
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I'll give credit where credit is due, and it's due for her and what she's done. I'd love to meet GG in person, though I wonder if she might run me batsh*t crazy.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #262
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I think some people are just envious and perhaps a little jealous. Not to mention sexist.

If this were a single father, people would be all, "look it what a great thing he's doing. Getting his kids out in the real world. Teaching them life lessons, blah, blah, blah..."
Yes, it's sad. I'm stunned at the amount of grief she has received here. The negative comments say more about the individuals delivering them than they do about GG.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #263
Guru

I didn't mean to be negative; some women just run me nuts. I've run more women nuts than I care to remember, works both ways.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #264
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Yes, but then those kids aren't boat less sitting behind a keyboard typing about cruising and boating. They are actually doing it and learning things everyday that can't be taught in a normal classroom.

I think some people are just envious and perhaps a little jealous. Not to mention sexist.

If this were a single father, people would be all, "look it what a great thing he's doing. Getting his kids out in the real world. Teaching them life lessons, giving them responsibilities, blah, blah, blah..."

It sort of reminds me of how Julie's name is almost never mentioned in the Atlantic Crossing thread. You might think Rodger was single handling it across as rarely as Julie's spoken of.

Some of you need to man up and give credit where credit is due. This lady had a dream and made it happen. And so far she seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. While dealing with 5 kids.

Well said, Bill!

There was a thread a while back asking why there are so few female members on TF. Reading some of the comments here, the answer is fairly obvious.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #265
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
I didn't mean to be negative; some women just run me nuts. I've run more women nuts than I care to remember, works both ways.
Hey, I'm not saying she isn't a little nuts but then any true boater is. So she's in a good club, or sanitarium as the case may be, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #266
Guru

Agreed Capt Bill.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #267
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
She and the kids just made the crossing Ft Meyers to Stuart via Okeechobee Waterway. 5 locks and no paint left behind.
We've (including me) been helping her out over at the Hatteras Owners Forum on a few things. There is a guy with the same model she has.

That's interesting, just a few weeks ago she said she was in Aventura waiting to go from there to Cable Marine in Ft Lauderdale for some work to be done. When asked how the crossing went from Carrabelle, she refused to respond. It is very hard to get any info out of her, including pics of issues, background on the problem. etc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #268

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We've (including me) been helping her out over at the Hatteras Owners Forum on a few things. There is a guy with the same model she has.

That's interesting, just a few weeks ago she said she was in Aventura waiting to go from there to Cable Marine in Ft Lauderdale for some work to be done. When asked how the crossing went from Carrabelle, she refused to respond. It is very hard to get any info out of her, including pics of issues, background on the problem. etc.
George,

I'm not on the Hatteras Owners Forum, so just have her blog to follow her. When she showed up on the Cruiser's Forum I was one of the 1st she talked to and even that far back I believed she would see her plans through. A lot of members there chalked her up as another dreamer, but I thought she was serious from the beginning.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #269
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
C'mon guys...I think it's time to man up and admit the lady was genuine after all, and give credit where credit is due. She just made a bit more of a meal of the build-up process than some might make is all...

I never questioned her plans.What I questioned was her understanding of what she was trying to get into.I've been aboard large boats,but never personally owned one.I know the perils of boat ownership and just enough about voyaging to know I need to know more.I am glad she is living the dream.She must have a great family to take on her dream and help her make it happen.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #270
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Maybe she's gun shy George?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #271

City: Anacortes
I did not read this thread previously and have not finished it yet. I did not take her as a fraud from the start and thought the severely quick comments to do so was out of place. Sometimes we just get the wrong impression from the start. I think that happened here.

I appreciate her sense of adventure and wish her well. I guess somebody could pick on judgement, but i personally won't be throwing those particular stones.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #272

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I never thought she was a fraud and always thought she would do what she said, or try. My only issue was her desire to "cross oceans with just her and her 5 kids"
John
MS390
Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #273
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
For me it was the way the GG went about asking questions that should be common knowledge .. then balked about the answers given because she didn't like them. I cannot think she probably did learn something from the forum that has since weighed in on her decision process... and maybe kept her out of some trouble.

I don't consider my self sexist.. I was totally in awe the day that my oldest daughter showed me the log book that she was keeping to track her hours working aboard our local whale watching/ferry boats to qualify to get her Skippers License. Women deserve to enjoy boats and can run boats just as well as men.
I think there are very few success stories of "newbie" boat owners, male or female that buy that big of a boat.. with that size of family. As far as the experience for the kids .. it will be a great one.. kids can put up with a lot and come out smiling.

Some of my view of the entire thing may be because I have a long time friend that has a herd of kids that is always off on some unconventional adventure (6 of them camping in a 18' mini motorhome in B.C. in the winter for a month with little survival gear and minimal prep) is one that comes to mind. She often has to rely on help from strangers to get out of a bind.. and the better prepared would have so many issues.

HOLLYWOOD
Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #274
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
It's not over yet! She bought a boat. The real question is, being a 24/7 year around live a board. Many newbies live a boards do not make it thru the first winter. The boat is not cold weather ready and she has only a couple of months to get it ready.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #275
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
It's not over yet! She bought a boat. The real question is, being a 24/7 year around live a board. Many newbies live a boards do not make it thru the first winter. The boat is not cold weather ready and she has only a couple of months to get it ready.
Still a naysayer ?

Go GalaxyGirl !
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #276
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
In fairness Phil has been her biggest fan to date. Long before this current wave of fans came out of the woodwork.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #277
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I think it's fair to be both, a fan and critical. She changed courses many times and contradicted herself. She came in like a house on fire and going in all directions. In some ways she's the ultimate interesting, admirable in many ways, unique, but drives you crazy sometimes type.

She's going to do things her way. It's going to work sometimes and not others. Obviously her method of selecting a captain the first time didn't. The second time, I think she likes him although he ran aground in a place that he surely should not have.

She's learning along the way. Force feeding herself and family in a way. Bold moves. Some work better than others. But I do think the boating story is not unlike the rest of her life. She isn't the go to office work 9 to 5 type. She makes her living doing things that are a bit off the wall. Certainly my wife and I are far off the norm so we are the type to say, "go girl." But none of that means that we aren't or she isn't sometimes annoying.

Maybe she's the type you'd love to meet but after a day or so aboard you'd be glad to escape, not disliking her, just exhausted. Or perhaps the type you'd not be anxious to meet and find she was far more fun than you thought and hate it when you had to leave.

As to her getting criticism. She put herself out there for it. She battled those offering advice. She asked questions and then rejected the answers. You live large and loud as she has and you're going to have supporters and detractors. It comes with the territory. And I have criticized her when I thought her approach was bad or she was heading a different way daily and praised her when she finally got her boat and made her first trip.

I'm not yet ready to praise her as a boater. Time will tell. It's not about how much we know going in but how well we learn after. However, when one criticizes her parenting, then I will jump on her side and take offense to that.

It doesn't have to be all one way or the other. I do think she's an attention seeker and she got it, good and bad. But she gets more attention here than those active here. Sure can't say she's boring.

Just waiting for her next question. Far better to focus on the threads she starts than our opinions of her. Are we going to open every thread into talking about how we feel about the originator. Oh but we do like following celebrities and somehow Gavin became one.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #278
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
It looks like she's wintering in FL. So she shouldn't have to do to much preparing I would guess.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #279

City: Anacortes
It's a 63 Hatt, not a 75 Winnebago. I'm guessing they will learn to cope. Goodness gracious.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #280

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Just waiting for her next question. Far better to focus on the threads she starts than our opinions of her. Are we going to open every thread into talking about how we feel about the originator. Oh but we do like following celebrities and somehow Gavin became one.
Agreement with BandB

I for one have been caught (disappointingly so) reading this thread and the analogy for myself has been that of when one drive's by a bad accident scene. You feel sorrow, etc. for those involved but can't help looking at the devastation.

Early on, I subscribed to the GG thread for entertainment purposes. Unfortunately, IMO too many of her initial inquiries were responded to and then met with with an inter-web stand-offish shrug when there wasn't agreement. Since opinions are like asses (we all have 'em), I continued to read, continued to learn about human nature, and for the most part, enjoyed the conversation. Personally, I think if it were a male posting and responding as GG did, the critiques and responding comments would have been much harsher. Too many other examples on this forum indicates as such.

Now, it's slid into an odd assortment of taking sides for some reason. Those who thought she really would pull it off, etc, those defending her, and everything in between. So, for my self, unsubscribe and ignore any new postings. I believe this one has run its course.

"Nothing to look at here folks, please move along."

Closed Thread