Finally retired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigar in the other, body thoroughly worn out and screaming WHOOO HOOO What a ride!!!
Add don't forget
Dance and sing like no-one is watching :dance:

Howdy, kw
1952 I was born in Freeport. :eek: :thumb: :popcorn:

In teens, I worked most boat yards along Woodcleft and Hudson. :D

Boated out of there and Merrick... in the 1950s, 60's. :socool:

Up in Penobscot Bay ME for beginning 70's; worked Maine Coast Shipbuilders. :whistling:

Currently in SF Bay Area. ;)

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Lots has changed both on the streets and on the water. You probably wouldn't recognize most of it now. Several commercial fishing boats still leave from Woodcleft, but there are more party boats. Not this kind :dance: of party.

Lots has changed both on the streets and on the water. You probably wouldn't recognize most of it now. Several commercial fishing boats still leave from Woodcleft, but there are more party boats. Not this kind :dance: of party.

Wifey B: One of the websites is partyboatcentral. They have the Freeport Princess and the Miss Freeport V.

Now the tabs at the top of the page are:

Cruises
Fishing
Weddings
Burial at Sea

I was just wondering if you could combine two of those activities. After all the boat holds 150 and you may not need that much for one activity. I can see a Fishing Wedding. That's a Jeff Foxworthy kind of thing. How about a Party Cruise with no extra charge for Burial at Sea if required? For some of the parties I'm imagining seems like a natural segue. :)

Congratulations on your retirement! I retired just one year ago and have so many projects to do around the house and boats I have to prioritize and plan what I'm going to do next and when. Add in time to go cruising and road trips to visit family and friends and sight seeing along the way and it's a pretty full life. I don't know how I had time for work! Take a deep breath and like many here have counseled, appreciate all you have and now you will have the time to fully enjoy it. Spend time with family and friends because none of us are getting any younger.

Kevin

Congrats, Fernando!! It appears you finished your new boat just in time! Well done.

I retired in Nov 2012, the day before my 55th birthday. I loved my dream job and was totally focused on my career for almost 39 years. My job was a perfect fit for me but I felt the need to enjoy retirement before health issues might grab the opportunity away from me. Like others have mentioned, I also wanted to go out on top of my game.

The first year was a period of transition for me. I knew I was retired, but my brain took a while to catch up. I would dream about flying and working...then I started wondering in my dreams, "Why am I working when I'm retired?" Finally the work dreams stopped and the boating dreams filled the void.

Flying didn't 'define' me but the aviation world was a huge part of my daily life. I'd go out on 4-5 day trips with a couple other crew members 2-3 times per month. We'd spend our daytime, meals and sometimes evening drinks together. We knew each other very well and I enjoyed the professionalism and the camaraderie. That was a big change for me. I miss the people more than the job, even though I absolutely LOVED my job.

For many men, meaningful work fulfills the inner need to provide for your loved ones. It took a while for me to get comfortable with the fact that I was now a consumer of my hard earned gains and no longer the provider. All my life I worked to grow my nest egg for this stage in life. Now I'm here.

Now, 3 1/2 years into retirement, I stay busy volunteering here and elsewhere, helping friends and making new friends. I had to set a daily quit time for myself (1600) so I wouldn't work into the dinner hour. I stick to a schedule that works for my wife and me...generally 0730 or 0800 rise, 2300 to bed. We each have our own interests that take us in different directions regularly so we have time together and time apart to pursue our passions. This has led to new friendships and expanded interests.

As I approach my summer cruising season, I feel like a kid in a candy store...excited with the upcoming adventures and proud of the improved state of my boat. Much has been upgraded over the past year and she's never been better, IMO. If I hadn't been retired, none of this would be possible.

Guys

Thank you all for your input and best known opinions. All of you have valid points and once more, I have enriched my knowledge with your experiences. That's what friends are for!

Thank you

Follow your joy. It's probably your last chance. Retirement is like a renewed, perhaps wiser childhood without parents.

My most common nightmares now are being "unretired" and back in my former stressful job. Oh, the horror! Retired as soon as possible and don't regret it.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Fernando. Thanks for taking us along on the building of your boat. I will never forget that trip down the mountain. Now, take us along on your cruises. I would like to see that wonderful bay where you are located. Carpe Diem!

Had felt slightly guilty about spending lots of money on the "toy" with my something-90s father still looking over my shoulder. Nevertheless, he always asks if I'm still using the boat.

It's all his fault. He introduced me to sailboat racing in the Bay in the 60s.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom