Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
Finally gone...

As of the 15th we have given up our slip that was home for the last four years. We cast off the lines and are making our way south to Key West and beyond? ..just wanted to thank all the folks that have posted info on repairs, improvements and navigation in the past. It has been very helpful and much appreciated. But now it's time to' get out there' and do it and that is what we are doing. So thanks for the help and the humor, and we are finding out that full time cruising can be exhausting if one does not learn to pace oneself. So a big thanks to all on the forum!! (I miss being able to jump in the car and pick up a replacement part)...cheers!!
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Have fun!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Remember to check in when you have the opportunity. I, for one, would like to read about your adventures.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Remember to check in when you have the opportunity. I, for one, would like to read about your adventures.

What he said!

Congratulations on cutting the dock lines.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Fair Winds! I hope you share some of your journey with us from time to time. Key West and beyond sounds like an ambitious undertaking!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Old 08-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471527864.575945.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  54.6 KB

👍👍👍👍
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
(I miss being able to jump in the car and pick up a replacement part)
Not to hijack your thread, but do you guys that cruise full time carry something like a moped to use while in port? I can't imagine being in a new place, but stuck at the marina.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but do you guys that cruise full time carry something like a moped to use while in port? I can't imagine being in a new place, but stuck at the marina.
Cash and credit cards. We don't carry a moped or anything of that type.

Many marinas have loaner cars, but we've found in most towns, getting from the marina to places you need to go not a big problem. Public transportation in some. Taxi service is often not very expensive, although a few towns have no taxi's. Then if it's somewhere we're going to need a car to explore, we do rent a car.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well an update. At the end of day 4 we are moored at Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove. The trip so far has been really good for the most part, a bit stressful at moments. I'm thinking that a trip through Fort Lauderdale and Miami may not have been the best idea for an initial shake down cruise. However we are learning a lot!
This living aboard and traveling is a whole different thing than in a slip at a Marina. A learning curve to it for sure, and hats off to the folks that have been doing it. Now if I can just get a new heat exchanger for my generator before the next thing goes wrong again I'll be a happy boater.
We are trying to get tech savvy (it's hopeless) and have an Instagram account at 'ayacht2sea' where we will try and keep folks updated. Thanks for all the replies and RT how do you find the clips you have for every occasion?... Very funny stuff!!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
You sound like a veteran cruiser already. Fixing stuff in beautiful places.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks. Got the heat exchanger online and am going to intercept it (hopefully) in Tavernier Wednesday, which apparently must be a beautiful place...but got a new vented loop, little plastic one they soaked me $40 for...went for a stroll down town, got turned around..took the long way home..in flip-flops & 90 degree heat...life aboard is not turning out to be boring, that's for sure!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #14
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We spent several days at Dinner Key Marina in 2010 we have friends living nearby we really enjoyed it. I especially liked the buildings with the Pan AM motif and the pictures of the PAA Flying boats on the wall inside.
Enjoy the trip!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I'm serious now ( and this is my serious look) keep us up to date and have a bunch of fun .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

That's pretty serious looking! Tonight we are lounging on the bow with a dinner of wine and cheese, the Miami skyline is beautiful with lots of colored lights. I have a camera that could probably take a nice picture of it except I've forgotten how to use it, been working on the boat for so long. I'm just happy that I'm not in a hot engine room making repairs!..but will post more as we go. We've decided to do the inside instead of Hawks Channel. It's a bit depth challenged but seems more interesting. Besides, I've already dug a trench in the mud in Lake Boca Raton, both WaterWay Guide and Active Captain said it was a good place to anchor...not unless you draw less than about 3 and a half feet! So we have learned to be a bit skeptical of what we read and use a bit more caution when things look a bit dicey. Live and learn... :-)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Steve, we did not notice a building with the Pan Am motif, but then again I'm not the most observant person in the world. And my first mate didn't appreciate the route I chose to walk back from the West Marine store either, but the area just a couple of blocks west of the Marina's really quite nice.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
Guru

City: kemah
Wow seriously? 4 years in the slip and your busting out.

You'se are my heros. Party like its 1999.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
Besides, I've already dug a trench in the mud in Lake Boca Raton, both WaterWay Guide and Active Captain said it was a good place to anchor...not unless you draw less than about 3 and a half feet! So we have learned to be a bit skeptical of what we read and use a bit more caution when things look a bit dicey. Live and learn... :-)
Yep, been there and done that more than once! Live and learn.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471720211.050901.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	55395
Strange way to start the morning.. watching another trawler anchored behind us sinking as we were headed to shore in the dinghy. I've seen many that have sunk, but not one actually sinking with two men aboard, who didn't look to be in much of a hurry as they stowed stuff on the flybridge and into another tender. Told the Marina folks about it, but no one seemed overly concerned there either. So on our return there it was..on the bottom and listed to port. A bit unnerving, when your living on a trawler...