Old 08-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Strange indeed. Any word of the cause?

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
Attachment 55395
Strange way to start the morning.. watching another trawler anchored behind us sinking as we were headed to shore in the dinghy. I've seen many that have sunk, but not one actually sinking with two men aboard, who didn't look to be in much of a hurry as they stowed stuff on the flybridge and into another tender. Told the Marina folks about it, but no one seemed overly concerned there either. So on our return there it was..on the bottom and listed to port. A bit unnerving, when your living on a trawler...
That is strange, suspicious, and everything else.

Oh, and on Lake Boca Raton, I show 3', 4', 5' and 6' depths depending on what part of the lake. Difficulty getting to the corner that is deepest, although I've never tried.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #23
Guru

Taking the inside route from Miami to Marathon is a good bet. Make sure you stop at Cow Pens Anchorage for a day or two and try the restaurant at I believe it's Marker 88. Once south of Marathon it gets pretty skinny. I've never done that route but Hawk Channel is pretty easy to navigate and there are plenty of places to duck in if the weather turns.
Enjoy, you're in a fun place.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
Finally gone...

Well, not sure of the cause, but neglect may have played a role though it doesn't show in the pic's, it looked pretty rough.
On lake Boca Raton the 4,5&6' depths looked to be part of the channel for boats to access their slips, and not really enough room to swing. One suggestion was to enter just north of the green mark (can't remember the number) but there is a seawall just north of that marker and going between the seawall and Mark was where we left our trench in the mud! And as I was trying to wiggle back out a passing motor yacht came across the radio and said "careful, that lakes pretty shallow...he was right! Just a short ways south of there is Lake Santa Barbara where we anchored, depths of 6-12' if I remember, and much much nicer than Lake Boca Raton.
Timjet, cow pens is definitely on the agenda and we will look for that restaurant. Not sure we'll be able to get into Mangrove Marina and if not, then we'll anchor at Cow Pens.
From there south we'll have to check the weather and route again before deciding wether to go inside or Hawks. I'd really like to go inside just for the experience, cause I'm thinking after doing it, once will be enough. But anyway, really appreciate the suggestions, Thanks much!!
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Made it to the Keys!! Key Largo! Anchored just south of Gilberts.
...this mornings lesson...one should not turn on the saltwater wash down pump until one needs to use it, if the hose becomes disconnected from the the deck faucet, it will fill the boat with water very quickly and with the engine running you'd never hear it. Thank god I installed $10 water alarms from Home Depot..dodged a bullet again....another lesson learned.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #26

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
We are living (and learning!) vicariously through your posts
Please keep them coming...

J&L
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Timjet, here we are motoring into Cowpens anchorage. We decided to spend a couple days at what apparently used to be Founders Park and is now Plantations Yacht Harbor Marina on the southern edge of the Anchorage. Marker 88 is a restaurant that the folks here say is very good so we will be going there soon. Thanks again for the heads up! We are in for a few repairs before heading south. The water getting here has been really skinny on occasion, so we've been trying to travel on the higher tide times..still managed to plow a furrow now and again...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471900864.639677.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	55442
Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
I'm thinking that a trip through Fort Lauderdale and Miami may not have been the best idea for an initial shake down cruise. However we are learning a lot!
That is indeed a learning experience! The seasoned ones go outside down to Government Cut at Miami, duck inside, and then quickly get into Hawks Channel to go down to the Keys. But everyone should experience the ICW through Lauderdale once, just to know what Hell is really going to be like.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
But everyone should experience the ICW through Lauderdale once, just to know what Hell is really going to be like.
Wifey B: Paradise... We normally go outside but it's nice to take a leisurely cruise inside occasionally just to see what is going on.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote