Old 05-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Finally, the build will start.

A quick catch up for those that may not know my back story. I've had health issues that kept coming up over the past decade that prevented me from being on a boat. Day trips sure, full time no.

For many years I wanted to build a boat of my own. I've looked around at boats the past few years but never found THE boat that tickled my fancy. Then a friend and I tried to strike a deal and sign a contract to keep us true to our plan and build a large boat. He had the supplies. I had the knowledge and time. That fell apart this spring.

So the past few weeks, I had to come down on myself with a firm hand. Now or never. Get my head right, pick a few designs, and start sending emails. I'm waiting to hear back from those emails. With the info that comes back, I will be choosing a design and plan package.

In the meantime, I will be wrapping up some projects, selling off somethings, and shopping for boat parts. I hope to have my spot cleared and my bow shed going up by the end of August when my son starts his junior year of high school.

I'll be asking more questions and bugging the heck out of some of you.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
looking forward to watching.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Wilson, NC
Vessel Name: First Draft
Vessel Model: 21'4" Tolman widebody skiff
Whatcha gonna build?
ForceMultiplier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Not selling the TW200 are you?
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMultiplier View Post
Whatcha gonna build?
Hi there,

How do you like your Tolman? Did you build it yourself?
Old 05-31-2019, 05:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Hi there,

How do you like your Tolman? Did you build it yourself?
I absolutely love my Tolman! I built and launched it in 2000, so she's now 19 years old - having kept a boat for that long should show how much I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Draft2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	89556  
Old 05-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Whatcha gonna build?
Undecided until I hear back from the designers/NA about the details of their plans. Study plans are good but they still leave enough out to warrant a few dozen questions before laying down money. The list of plans developers I narrowed down to are Spira, Buehler, Brewer, and Selway Fisher. There were many other designers I was looking into as well.

I'm still going to need a dink. Oh, here I go again. I think I have the plans for the dinghy I want. I just need to dig them out of my hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Not selling the TW200 are you?
I never ended up buying one. My son was wanting one and got me to wanting another small bike. His USAF Jr. ROTC career is taking off. He is spending his time on that now. He is hoping to enlist in the USAF, after high school graduation, with a higher rank due to all of his ROTC work. He's also been diligently looking for a job. When I was 16 I had a lot of options but kids now have limited options in our area. He's not being picky either.

Quote:
I absolutely love my Tolman! I built and launched it in 2000, so she's now 19 years old - having kept a boat for that long should show how much I like it.
Those are really nice boats. Renn Tolman was an outstanding man. I wish he didn't have to leave us so soon. R.I.P. Mr. Tolman.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Those are really nice boats. Renn Tolman was an outstanding man. I wish he didn't have to leave us so soon. R.I.P. Mr. Tolman.
I was lucky to get to talk to Renn when I was building my boat. What sets his "plans" apart was his way of explaining the building process so that anyone could build a skiff.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Do you know what material you will build with? Most one-offs seem to favor wood, steel, or aluminum, I think to avoid the need to make plugs & molds. But I don't know much about it. I'm intrigued by the whole process of CNC/laser cut parts kits that can be made from CAD plans, and welded together to create a boat. That seems like a very effective way to build a one-off.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
I was lucky to get to talk to Renn when I was building my boat. What sets his "plans" apart was his way of explaining the building process so that anyone could build a skiff.
You're a luckman. I never got the chance to speak with him. Everyone I talk to that met him said he was a great fellow and drew a crowd at boating events he went to. I never heard a negative word spoken about him. That kind of reputation doesn't come easy nowadays.

I agree. He had a way of explaining things that almost anyone could understand. I think he lived by the Einstien philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Do you know what material you will build with? Most one-offs seem to favor wood, steel, or aluminum, I think to avoid the need to make plugs & molds. But I don't know much about it. I'm intrigued by the whole process of CNC/laser cut parts kits that can be made from CAD plans, and welded together to create a boat. That seems like a very effective way to build a one-off.
All the plans I have made inquires about are plywood over sawn frames. All of them utilize a fiberglass hull covering for waterproofing and durability. It also adds strength. I'm sure you know that though. I plan to take it one step further and tab the frames to the hull and epoxy coat the inside as well as the cabin inside and out.

I have welding experience. It was a required subject when I went to school for industrial mechanics. I own a good, but small, welder. I find wood a bit more satisfying to work with. My oldest son (21) has some welding experience and went to school for it. He's in the process of starting a new job and looking to move again. So, if I ever build another, albeit larger, boat, it will probably be in metal.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #11

City: Puget Sound
for design ideas and plans try Devlin https://devlinboat.com/about-devlin-...esign-catalog/

There might be something that appeals to you.... When he builds a boat it is constructed using a stitch and glue method which lends it's self to one off fabrication...
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:18 AM   #12

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Undecided until I hear back from the designers/NA about the details of their plans. Study plans are good but they still leave enough out to warrant a few dozen questions before laying down money. The list of plans developers I narrowed down to are Spira, Buehler, Brewer, and Selway Fisher. There were many other designers I was looking into as well.
George Buehler passed away last year. I was in contact with him at the time about some plans I was interested in and the communication suddenly cut off. A few weeks later I found out he was gone. His assistant communicated that they did not know if plans would continue to be sold, but it seemed unlikely. I told them I'd be interested if they decide to continue and have not heard anything since except that there was a statement released for a while that the plans sales was stopped until further notice.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #13

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
"I'm intrigued by the whole process of CNC/laser cut parts kits that can be made from CAD plans, and welded together to create a boat. That seems like a very effective way to build a one-off."

This is how my boat began - a lot of pre-cut Alu sheets that showed up
on an 18 wheeler.
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What size and style boats are you considering?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
for design ideas and plans try Devlin https://devlinboat.com/about-devlin-...esign-catalog/

There might be something that appeals to you.... When he builds a boat it is constructed using a stitch and glue method which lends it's self to one off fabrication...
Devlin was in the running. I just couldn't find the design I liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
George Buehler passed away last year. I was in contact with him at the time about some plans I was interested in and the communication suddenly cut off. A few weeks later I found out he was gone. His assistant communicated that they did not know if plans would continue to be sold, but it seemed unlikely. I told them I'd be interested if they decide to continue and have not heard anything since except that there was a statement released for a while that the plans sales was stopped until further notice.
It was sad to hear of his passing. I sent an email anyway with hopes of getting the Jullian Adderly plans and the 34 and 38 DD. I know these are too large to trailer with a one ton truck, but I was thinking future build, maybe.

The Jullian Adderly plans are in his first edition "Backyard Boat Building" book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
"I'm intrigued by the whole process of CNC/laser cut parts kits that can be made from CAD plans, and welded together to create a boat. That seems like a very effective way to build a one-off."

This is how my boat began - a lot of pre-cut Alu sheets that showed up
on an 18 wheeler.
If I was doing a metal boat, I would go that way. I have, or had, a connection at a company I worked for. I could get most sheet/plate metals at cost and get everything laser cut at cost. I had to provide the cut files and wait for a time where business was slack.

Quote:
What size and style boats are you considering?
26-30 feet with a beam of no more than 8'6". A basic cabin cruiser with no flybridge. Something similar, but larger, than my avatar with an inboard diesel. The boat in my avatar is a 27' Sitka with a flat bottom. My original plans were to build the 30' version with the V entry bow, a diesel stern drive, and longer cabin. It could still be an option, but even a sterndrive diesel won't get around, or under, 2GPH at theoretical hull speed from Sitka. Hull speed, I think, is around 6 to 7 knots in Sitka. I believe she would be plowing a large wake.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Have you considered the Great Alaskan and Kodiak models from: https://www.glacierboats.com/
Old 06-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Have you considered the Great Alaskan and Kodiak models from: https://www.glacierboats.com/
I looked at them. Great boats, similar to Tolmans. I'm trying to stay with a displacement or semi-displacement hull. I'd like to stay with a diesel inboard.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #18
Guru

No word yet on any of the emails I sent out. Two books I ordered came in. One contains a scaled-down version of the Juillian Adderly plans.

George Beuhler - The Troller Yacht Book, A Powerboater's Guide to Crossing Oceans without getting Wet or Going Broke. I'm planning to get the second edition this week or next.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...language=en_US

Nigel Calder, Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual 4th Edition. It's the most recent one I have seen. If there is a more recent version, please point me to it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

Just a note. George Beuhler's site is still up and his Amazon store is still taking and filling orders. I don't think there is any support for his plans but I think someone is still selling them or handling the sales.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #19
Guru

Buehler's Captain Eddy was my first choice, but I never received a response about buying the plans. My runner up was Spira's San Miguel or Cane River. San Miguel won out with its deep bilges and low engine position. I tried emailing Mr. Spira about three weeks ago and haven't heard a peep. I sent him another email this evening. I had a few more questions about San Miguel, but it's the boat I am planning to build. I'm hoping for a start date around the 1st of November.

A link to the full-size photo just in case. https://flic.kr/p/2ggu9Li

Old 06-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?