Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Finally back home with the boat

Its really great to be back home. As I am currently selling my house I haven't been on the boat much as yet, but getting to it via a short drive is much better that a trans Pacific flight as I was doing for the last 18 months.

During my refit I set-up a number of things for a long distance passage. I toyed with the idea of sailing from PNW to Brisbane on my own bottom. After re-power and enlarged tankage I had the range. But there were still a few extra things needed for a Pacific crossing, and for a number of reasons I ended up shipping ex: Vancouver, BC.

Loading was on 12 Sep. The stevedores took forever before they were happy with the sling positions, picking the boat up 5 times checking fore & aft load balance. Problem was, the forward spreader bar wasn't wide enough and the sling 'grabbed' onto some teak railing and ripped it as the sling took up the load. Doing it 5 times ensured that there was about 8 ft of damaged rail. The foreman almost jumped down my throat when I politely suggested making the spreader wider. Insurance will cover most of it and repairs will be completed in a couple of weeks. Avoidable, a bit of a hassle but at least the shipping was achieved.

Unloading in Brisbane on 12 October was uneventful although the wharf's container lift was used instead of the ship's own cranes so Insequent could be put into the water in front of the ship rather that alongside. There was a about 15 kn of wind, and the stevedores here wanted to do it that way. Other than lots of little bits of grease coming off the sling cables - the damn stuff was everywhere - we just hooked up a tow boat to hold us off the wharf while I started the engines. My solar system had kep the batteries charged so the engines started easily. Then it was a case of getting some slack on the slings, releasing and dropping one side of them and driving away. Very straightforward.

My shipping brokers had done a great job. Customs clearance was a 2 phase process. Phase 1 was declarations and payment of duty and GST on the USA market value. Without completing that the boat would have been unloaded onto the wharf into the bonded area, and not directly into the water. Phase 2 was an Australian market valuation and an adjustment of the duty/GST calculation. This is still underway, but I am not restricted in using the boat in the meantime.

The second part of import was Quarantine. After unloading I had to go directly to the Quarantine dock for clearance, just as a vessel arriving by sea on its own bottom would do. The inspection was pre-booked as is required and was completed without any problems. Of course I had given away all the food etc to people in Canada before loading, had no alcohol on board for shipping in order to keep everything as simple as possible. Although it is a fiberglass hull, biosecurity considered that due to the extensive teak panelling etc 'there is a lot of wood on the boat'. They were very thorough in looking for evidence of Asian termites as apparently they are an issue in North America and that species does not occur in Australia. With no evidence at all of any termite frass I received quarantine clearance without the need for their 'termite dog' coming aboard. Note - if you are importing, be sure to thoroughly clean your bilges and cupboards. Sawdust is hard to distinguish from frass, and if in doubt the dog will be required. If termites are present there will be frass deposits during time required for shipping even if you cleaned before loading. Of course you would want to know if there are termites - no-one would want to bring the damn things in.

The termite aspect raised a question in my mind. I dont recall owners, surveyors or brokers in the USA discussing it much at all. Is it a problem? Seems to me to be a serious potential problem, but an uncommon one. Are some parts of North America more prone to termite infestations than others?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: somewhere
Sounds like quite the experience that you pulled off nicely.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
We need pictures of this shipping action!
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
TF Site Team

OK, pics

As requested a few pics

Lifting aboard in Vancouver
Damage from sling in Vancouver
Unloading in Brisbane. First a DeFever 49, then they came back for me.
Another unloading in Brisbane
Floating at Rivergate Marina after clearing Quarantine
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0730 sml.jpg   Boat lift damage sml.jpg   IMG_0085 sml.jpg   IMG_0096 sml.jpg   IMG_0813 sml copy.jpg  

Old 10-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: somewhere
Ouch, with that damage.

I would of been livid.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #6

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
Awesome pictures! Was it really cheaper to ship it both ways for the refit than to do it down there? Or were you using the boat here to explore the PNW?
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Lifting ... it is a bit scary (done it).

Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-Pack View Post
Awesome pictures! Was it really cheaper to ship it both ways for the refit than to do it down there? Or were you using the boat here to explore the PNW?
I bought in Seattle, more choice and better prices than here. So shipping was one way only.

The refit began as installation of Naiad stabilisers and some electrical work. It ended up a much bigger job. Labour rates are comparable here, but materials costs are much better in the USA, so I was happy to get work done there before leaving.

I did some cruising in the PNW, as far as the Broughtons, before shipping back here. Shipping rates are down at present. Ball park figures indicated fuel cost for the trip plus extra work on the boat and equipment for an ocean crossing was lineball with shipping.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Trawler
Insequent, Are you the gentleman from whom I purchased the Mase generator and deep cycle batteries in Port Townsend during your refit? I drove up from Cheyenne to pick them up late last year. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome home Brian. She will be very nice out in the bay. Pity they didn't heed you suggestion re the spreader. Otherwise they are pretty careful. When we shipped our maxi trailer yacht over from NZ in 1990, the only thing broken was the wind twirly giggi thing on the top of the mast - yeah it has a name but I've forgotten. (The whole thing is an anemometer). I still have it actually. It sits on a small pole out on the pool fence.
Are you going down to the Gold Coast Marina Boat Expo this weekend? We are dropping down for a while, then on to the Gold Coast.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Welcome home Brian. She will be very nice out in the bay. Pity they didn't heed you suggestion re the spreader. Otherwise they are pretty careful. When we shipped our maxi trailer yacht over from NZ in 1990, the only thing broken was the wind twirly giggi thing on the top of the mast - yeah it has a name but I've forgotten. (The whole thing is an anemometer). I still have it actually. It sits on a small pole out on the pool fence.
Are you going down to the Gold Coast Marina Boat Expo this weekend? We are dropping down for a while, then on to the Gold Coast.
Peter
No, not going to the Expo. I am going to the boat to setup the satellite TV stuff this weekend. I am probably going to move the dish soon - the hardtop with solar panels blocks reception at some points of the compass. I overlooked moving it when we were building the hardtop. Where the PO mounted it was OK with the soft bimini, but not now. The cable routing as always is the biggest challenge!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
Insequent, Are you the gentleman from whom I purchased the Mase generator and deep cycle batteries in Port Townsend during your refit? I drove up from Cheyenne to pick them up late last year. George
Yes, I remember fitting them all into the trunk of your Town Car. It seemed quite a load!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Could you please tell me your shipping agent who handled this for you?
Thanks,
Blake

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Could you please tell me your shipping agent who handled this for you?
Thanks,
Blake
I used Aurora Global Logistics, based here in Brisbane. Local is best for managing details! They are agents for Peters & May, who handled the North American section.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #15

Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Hi, can we get a rough idea on cost to bring over please?
I spoke to dockwise and their prices were a bit out there and this appears to be a more viable option.
PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome home Insequent. There are many factors to freight by ship vs own bottom. The damage is fixable but must have been tough to watch.
Years ago, slings, repaired not by the manufacturer, failed as wharfies on a "foreign order" tried to launch a steel yacht at a Sydney container wharf, owner onboard. Could have been much worse.
You have a great boat to enjoy. Happy Boating.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Hi, can we get a rough idea on cost to bring over please?
I spoke to dockwise and their prices were a bit out there and this appears to be a more viable option.
PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks
My cost for shipping, cradle, port charges both ends, lashing & securing, marine surveyor was around $80k. These 'extras' are not optional even if steep, and are a significant portion of the total. Then there is duty and GST.

Before I decided to import a 'friend of a friend' who had just done it said that unless you were bringing in a boat that was unique, cost around $200k or more, or was in outstanding condition (so real value for money) then the exercise is hardly worth it. Great advice - I endorse it. The thing is, USA boats are typically in much better condition for the price - a deeper and more competitive market. Even so, if you think about it the newer the boat then the better the case for importing since you have a higher value per cubic meter to ship. A large but cheap oldie will make no (financial) sense to import.

The whole shipping thing is very case-specific. Your freight will be charged on volume - pulpits, swim platforms etc increase the chargeable volume, so you really have to watch that. If you buy a boat that will fit inside a 40 ft container then your freight will be very reasonable. Deck cargo, in a cradle, is a lot more expensive. If measured in terms of 40 ft containers I was 2 containers wide, 1 and a bit long, and almost 3 high. That adds up to a lot of of 'steel box' space. Thinking of it in those terms puts it into perspective, helps understand the cost.

Global shipping rates at the time you do it are also a big factor. About 10 months before I shipped the quoted freight rate was almost double, although the other items listed above were about the same.

Dockwise prices are pretty good, particularly if you use the float-on, float-off option. From the West Coast you have to get down to Costa Rica for this, and it seems to be only once a year sailing. My shippers had monthly sailings from the West Coast.

I wouldn't try and find a cheap shipper - remember the Yachtpath story, and the collateral damage to people with boats en route when things went pear-shaped! When something like this happens you can end up paying freight twice, as has been the case a few times. If the shipper isn't paid for some reason they impound the cargo until payment is received.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Welcome home Insequent. There are many factors to freight by ship vs own bottom. The damage is fixable but must have been tough to watch.
Years ago, slings, repaired not by the manufacturer, failed as wharfies on a "foreign order" tried to launch a steel yacht at a Sydney container wharf, owner onboard. Could have been much worse.
You have a great boat to enjoy. Happy Boating.
The damage was unpleasant, but I managed to stay cool. To become livid at the time may have resulted in the stevedores refusing to load. Once damage occurs it is just a case of getting it fixed. The shipping insurers coverage took effect from the moment the boat was lifted, and obviously insurance is a sensible thing to do. The assessors here were very reasonable, and I am confident of a good repair in a first-class yard. The policy excess of over $1000 is a hit, but I would have been really upset to have not been insured. Stuff happens, get over it, move on.

These days you cant ride onboard when lifted by slings, onto the ship or even in a travel lift at a boatyard. Good policy.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #19

Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
My cost for shipping, cradle, port charges both ends, lashing & securing, marine surveyor was around $80k. These 'extras' are not optional even if steep, and are a significant portion of the total. Then there is duty and GST.
Thanks for that, so no real saving over my dockwise quote apart from freedom of departure point and date.
Bummer for me.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I can endorse using Peters & May for shipping. We shipped from the East Coast (US) to Seattle, around $60k for a 58', 50+ ton boat. Quote from the beginning covered everything, no "surprises" through the process. Very good people to deal with. They do this all over the world and seem to be pretty good at it.!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote