Fin Holders/Line storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. WOW! $165? We "store" dock lines wrapped around the railings to be ready for quick deployment. Lines not to be used in short order are hung in a locker or on a rail with these:
389460.jpg

Snorkeling equipment is stowed as well. $165 is 40 gallons of fuel which is 100 miles+.

I too saw it on Ship Shape TV. For $169 I can make about 8 or 10 of them on my own sewing machine. My Sailrite 111 has paid for itself about 4 times so far.

I thought so. RT we use the same thing. $165 is a lot.

Tom, just think of the amount of Klondike Bars you could buy for that much $165. Doug would go crazy. We have a compartment on the transom where we store all of our lines. As I look at that unit I can't help buy think how nice it looks now but how dirty it would be in a few weeks of stowing dirty fenders.

I like the idea but I think I'd ask the local canvas shop to sew one up. I bet it would be a lot cheaper.

You are a bunch of smart fellows and maybe can come up with a solution...

I have a chain locker on the starboard side of the bow and an empty storage compartment on the port side. I would like to be able to hang a few mooring lines from some type of hooks or similar in that compartment. It would be good to have those hooks along the hull side of the compartment as they would be out of the way. Any of you have some good ideas for something like that?

You are a bunch of smart fellows and maybe can come up with a solution...

I have a chain locker on the starboard side of the bow and an empty storage compartment on the port side. I would like to be able to hang a few mooring lines from some type of hooks or similar in that compartment. It would be good to have those hooks along the hull side of the compartment as they would be out of the way. Any of you have some good ideas for something like that?
Picture would help me formulate.....

... I would like to be able to hang a few mooring lines from some type of hooks or similar in that compartment. It would be good to have those hooks along the hull side of the compartment as they would be out of the way. Any of you have some good ideas for something like that?

I made a mounting board to fit the curve of a transom locker, drilled it at an angle about every 4 inches and fixed a length of 1/2" wood dowel in the holes. The dowel sticks out about 4" and on a bit of an upward angle so nothing will slip off. I coil my ropes the same way every time and end with a single loop out the top of the coil. Hang by that single loop so several lines can be hung on each hook (dowel).

I through bolted the board with SS bolts with a big washer against the board and sealant around the bolt through the hull. Depending on the diameter and length of your lines you might space the dowels closer or farther or even use a larger dowel. Hint, drill the board so the dowels exit a bit above the backing board centreline to maximize strength. I used about a 1 1/2" x 3" board tapered to curvature of transom. Conditions dictate length, width and spacing.

I bought one of these at West Marine:

L-8-960012-2T.jpg

Although it cost more than it should, it is very handy if you have a place for it.

Good suggestions Wes and Greg. Psneed, I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

One of the things that I don't want to do is drill any holes in the hull. I have considered using 5200 to mount a block of wood (teak?) to the inside of the hull with a SS bolt countersunk and epoxied into the back side and protruding in towards the compartment. I could then bolt wood, starboard or whatever to that. Not sure if that would work....

Tom, just think of the amount of Klondike Bars you could buy for that much $165. Doug would go crazy. We have a compartment on the transom where we store all of our lines. As I look at that unit I can't help buy think how nice it looks now but how dirty it would be in a few weeks of stowing dirty fenders.

Mike I would have to agree......

Dave -

Would something like this work for you?

dvd

Dave -

Would something like this work for you?

dvd

That looks really good and just about perfect for what I had in mind. Also Fisheries supply and Tacoma screw are both dealers.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom