Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Valencia
Vessel Name: Song of Summer
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
Film "all is lost"

I had the opportunity to watch this movie (which I fully recommend) of Robert Redford crashing to a floating container with his sail boat and finally sunk in the Sumatra straights area.

Apart of the good role of Robert Redford (the only actor) I would like to address 2 points for discussion:

1.- How many of you have seen these containers floating

2.- What kind of right/wrong decisions he is taking to survive
Attached Thumbnails
redford.JPG  
alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto View Post
I had the opportunity to watch this movie (which I fully recommend) of Robert Redford crashing to a floating container with his sail boat and finally sunk in the Sumatra straights area.

Apart of the good role of Robert Redford (the only actor) I would like to address 2 points for discussion:

1.- How many of you have seen these containers floating

2.- What kind of right/wrong decisions he is taking to survive
I have not seen the film as of yet but I want to and will. I did hear it was pretty good film so I hope it is.

I cannot speak on the right and wrongs due to not seeing the film.
I can say I have seen a few containers floating out there, but I have never been that close to any of them like in the picture nor would I want to be.

happy cruising

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you know if ere they detected by Radar?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. alberto. I expect if some portion of the container is above water you can pick it up on radar particularly if in a similar position to the picture you posted. I've noted some crab pot floats on radar in the past. Usually on a close pass to the floats a large metal washer is evident, thus the radar reflection. I have not seen the movie.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #5

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
All is lost . . .

I didn't care for the movie.

Acting was stiff and the activities undertaken for rescue left me frustrated.

Spent the first twenty minutes talking out loud (which I rarely do for a movie) questioning this and that . . as it was a rental and I was watching it from home, the only one I was disturbing was my significant other . . .

The lay-up of the glass repair should have had a great deal more "backing" for strength (a couple of wood strips? - rip a wood door off a cabinet or a ply hatch cover under a cushion for pete's sake. . . where the safety gear was stored . . . no EPRIB . . . his flares seemed to be for coastal and not oceanic signaling. As well as how many were available . . . survivors that I've read about mention the difficulty being seen during daylight by passing ships and the ensuing debate as to when to sleep (sleep during day, awake at night for better possibility of flares being seen at night). His "SOS" hailing (seriously?).... About the only thing I thought ingenious by the time he was where he was emotionally was the ending. I won't comment on the specifics as as not to ruin the ending for anyone not having seen the picture (recomment saving your money however).

It was this movie or Captain Phillips Saturday night. I've since spoken to folks who have seen both movies and far and away they all say the hostage movie was much better. Coincidentially, Hanks did a better job with his role in Cast Away. You bought in to his character and the desperation, etc. of being in that situation (alone, marooned) IMO.

BTW, have never seen any containers floating by, but I've seen "lots" of "bales". . .
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. t. Of course the acting is stiff. Redford is 78.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Saw the movie and enjoyed it. Agree that he should have had an EPIRB. Interesting comment from Ebert on the film review:

"The utter solitude is almost vertiginous. Redford's silent lone sailor is the tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it. And all his activity directed at remedying the problem – intelligent and focused, capable and professional – appears also to be pointless. The game is up. Everything he's doing could be just an existential dead cat bounce: the entire drama works well as a parable of old age. He could as well be at home, on dry land, pottering around the house in his late 70s, losing his sight and hearing, the news of impending mortality pouring in through the windows like seawater."
Old 01-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I have never seen a container and that's OK by me. I do much of my cruising as overnighters and it really is just a roll of the dice. That said I still like my chances much more than the drive to the boat in a car.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
In almost 20,000 offshore miles I have never seen a container.. I did find a fishing float once though. On one trip off the coast I did see a big Sony TV though.. with the high pressure sodium lights in the rigging I could even see the Sony name on the back!
Did have a friend find a sailboat that was adrift about 700 miles off Hawaii.. and a nice one at that.

The Admiral saw the movie (She gets all gushy when she sees a movie with Redford I have to remind her he is old as dirt)... the said it sucked.. he did EVERYTHING wrong,was worthless etc.

She said that it was like the movie from years ago with Nichole Kidman on the sail boat where The Admiral just kept saying she would of killed the dude and be done with it (the Admiral is a force to be reckoned with and a expert shot). Redford's character in the movie made so many mistakes it was just sad.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Fonda and Hepburn were 76 & 74 respectively when they filmed On Golden Pond. Age had no bearing on their performance. I believe for any great actor, it doesn't. (Guess I answered my own point there).

If you're a Reford fan, set aside the 2 hours. Otherwise ....
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #11

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
I spent 14 years working offshore (including 2 Circumnavigations) and I've never seen a floating container. However, when we spent 5 years searching for wrecks, we found the bottom littered with Crab Pots and Containers. I think most of them sink pretty fast as few are really air tight.
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've never seen a container either, but having handled a few incidents on land where the container actually came off the chassis on Interstates back in the 70's, a sea collision with one could surely put one in a very compromising position.

I saw the movie, and even though I'd have to say it was not my kind of movie, I think Redford did exactly what he intended to do and the directorship made one feel exactly what they wanted you to feel. Frustration, anxiety, boredom, denial, half-hearted spirit and even disgruntled resignation flowed through the audience. I've rarely heard so much verbal expression from the audience and seen so much uncomfortable tossing and turing in their seats during a movie. The movie lacked the pizzazz in plot or outcome that we hunger for. My last mental comment was "Duh?". I think most of us have forgotten what acting is without action. Me too. I think it was a great movie.....but I would have shot it between the eyes at least a half-dozen different times.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Overall I liked the movie. I am a RR fan so I may be a little biased. But I kept thinking why the heck does he not have on his PFD? WTH? I kept saying WTH the whole way through the movie. I don't want to give more examples for those who haven't seen it but want to.

It was entertaining I thought. Great? Not really, but entertaining. I think we were the only "non sailors" in the theater.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I saw a "container" (an empty plastic tub) floating at the west end of Carquinez Strait last Saturday.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
In 1950's, 60's I helped my dad take power cruisers from LI South Shore up Hell's Gate fast currents in NY NY; to points up the Hudson. Talk about floaters coming at cha!!! Geezzzz... back then, dumping rubbish in the water had little restriction. Crates, truck tires, pallets, telephone poles, tree stumps, wood framed box springs, desks, chairs... and... items that simply couldn't be named! I'd crouch for stability over fore peak on the bow's deck grasping tight to bow rail so I could yell back any unseen dangers to pops if boat had no fly bridge. Boats w/ a bridge let us see all from above... those rides I was comfy on the bridge too!

And, that is why I love Flying Bridge on each boat I own. Pilot from there 99.9% of the time!

Jus sayen!!

No, then and in times forward I've never spied a floating tractor trailer container, thankfully!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Nevertheless I have some considerations:

1.- What is doing a 78 old man at his own in a sailboat of 11 meters in the middle of the pacific at 1700 miles from Sumatra Straights?
2.- Why he was sleeping with no radar alarm?
3.- after looking to the situation, why he does not start the engine to save the batteries and switch the bilge pump on?
4.- Why he jumps on to the container risking himself to roll and fall into the water?
5.- Why he does not reinforce the hull repair by inside of the hull?
6.- Why he risks himself in crawling to the top of the mast (by the way totally oversized) to detect that the antenna connector is loose... apparently the damage was before the crash...
7.- Why he is not using the formal Mayday call?
8,- Why he was not using the sea anchor to stand the storm avoiding rolling?
9.- How he is able to know his position with the sextant without looking later in the tables?
10.- Why he does not take everything possible to the raft?
11.- Why he does not make sun signals with the mirror?
12.- What is he doing in the middle of the Pacific with no EPIRB?
13.- Only one radio, no BLU?
14.- no back up portable battery?
15.- all sweet water was coming from the sink tap?

and some more that I avoid in order to not disclosure the end of the movie.

I do not think that these mistakes were intentionally on the script, but a nautical advisor for the film is so noticeable.

In real life I understand that the stress of the situation could force you to make mistakes, but, that size?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
All good points, Alberto. But the story being told in Hollywood has a lot to do with it. It's kind-of like asking why all the passenger planes in Die Hard II were in being held in rotation around Dulles Airport until their fuel was nearly expired, all the time knowing that Washington National and Baltimore-Washington International were only minutes away.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
"They don`t make actors like that anymore. You can`t get the wood, you know"
(With acknowledgement to the late Peter Sellers,and apologies to RR)
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
RR does OK for a lightweight pretty face! Problem with being born that pretty as a male is it's all downhill after bout 33 yrs. Me, I never have had to nor will have to worry bout that kinda stuff; it's all steady as she goes for me! - LOL

Doubt I'll watch the film... TY all for full-scope reviews. BTW - From sounds of some shenanigans he pulled during tight times it sounds if reality (not Hollywood) was present no one would have know why that Skipper disappeared!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, NC
Vessel Name: Tra Sea Time
Vessel Model: 1989 Marine Trader 38 DC
Good friend who is an experienced sailor watched the movie recently and said it was trash. As mentioned , many mistakes, poorly done movie. His advise, don't waste your time , or money.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote