Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #41
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Your post got me thinking....I too posted that it was just Hollywood...meaning entertainment...

But the bottom line usually is still dollars.

Most people really don't understand the call of the sea and therefore it is a mystery to them and a romantic fantasy,,,usually a good way to at least get people to buy tickets. Once in, whether they know what an EPIRB is or not...they are just stargazing at the characters and dreaming of sailing the seven seas...munching popcorn and thinking...man, when I get my boat and head out...I won't let that happen.

heck...most boaters, even experienced ones have NO IDEA what a multiple day, blue water passage is let alone from the deck of a small vessel. So they too are lured into watching movies like this. Once they do a multiple day passage staring at only waves, coastal cruising fills their bucket list just fine.

So we'll see how it does in 10 years...after the box office, DVDs, then television. Who knows, it may become the greatest money maker of all times...first filling the dreamers heads, then watched by old salts as a cult movie for what it lacks.....
psn - This quote from your post above is perfect! "Most people really don't understand the call of the sea..."

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #42
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So we'll see how it does in 10 years...after the box office, DVDs, then television. Who knows, it may become the greatest money maker of all times...first filling the dreamers heads, then watched by old salts as a cult movie for what it lacks.....
I just discussed the movie with the aged cashier at the local CVS. I think she hit the nail on the head. She says if it's Redford, it's a "Chick Flick". It may be an old Chick Flick, but a Chick Flick none the less. I can see a triple feature coming to the Sunny Pine Retirement Facility.....Whales of November, Cocoon, and All is Lost for the action finale. Perhaps by that time they'll rename the movie "Last In-Action Hero".

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #43
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
RR resides in and loves the Rockies. God bless him... beautiful region... but, way too far from either coast. I lived in and around Denver for a few years. Not much water to speak of in those parts... at least not ocean type waters!

No wonder he looked/acted like a fish out of water - lol.

RR's accustomed to cow paddies and horse shoes! From comments in this thread it makes me wonder if anyone on the film-set truly had any ocean boating experience... especially when emergency arises such as RR encountered. I’m not seeking to see that flick, but, if I haphazardly run into it already playing then comments on this thread will “flood” into my mind – pun intended!!
I think Art hit the nail on the head. Without really knowing RR motivation to make this film, it'snot at all clear what the point was and therefore it fails as a movie.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #44

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I just discussed the movie with the aged cashier at the local CVS. I think she hit the nail on the head. She says if it's Redford, it's a "Chick Flick". It may be an old Chick Flick, but a Chick Flick none the less.
I thought it was a steaming pile of crap and so did my wife.
There's a few hours neither of us will get back and glad we didn't pay money to see it
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #45
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
My wife rented this one from Redbox. I thought it had potential until after the first couple of minutes where I was yelling at the tv. As was previously posted, this movie was mostly a lesson on what not to do. The SOS was laughable. He might as well cut off the mike and McGyvered in a Morse key. Does the Technical Director go on vacation during filming?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
I thought it was a steaming pile of crap and so did my wife.
There's a few hours neither of us will get back and glad we didn't pay money to see it
Agreed. I think this thread would be interesting on the CruisersForum where most participants are blue water sailors. It doesn't seem to have much impact for trawlers since it is the rare trawler that truly goes on blue water cruises. Not to say that it doesn't happen but it happens with sailors with greater frequency. Having owned a blue water sail boat and a small tug, I notice trawlers are treated more as floating RV's that see no blue water to speak of. It is the rare container that is left floating in Rosario Straits for example.
NTSCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #47
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post
I didn't care for the movie.

Acting was stiff and the activities undertaken for rescue left me frustrated.

Spent the first twenty minutes talking out loud (which I rarely do for a movie) questioning this and that . . as it was a rental and I was watching it from home, the only one I was disturbing was my significant other . . .

The lay-up of the glass repair should have had a great deal more "backing" for strength (a couple of wood strips? - rip a wood door off a cabinet or a ply hatch cover under a cushion for pete's sake. . . where the safety gear was stored . . . no EPRIB . . . his flares seemed to be for coastal and not oceanic signaling. As well as how many were available . . . survivors that I've read about mention the difficulty being seen during daylight by passing ships and the ensuing debate as to when to sleep (sleep during day, awake at night for better possibility of flares being seen at night). His "SOS" hailing (seriously?).... About the only thing I thought ingenious by the time he was where he was emotionally was the ending. I won't comment on the specifics as as not to ruin the ending for anyone not having seen the picture (recomment saving your money however).

It was this movie or Captain Phillips Saturday night. I've since spoken to folks who have seen both movies and far and away they all say the hostage movie was much better. Coincidentally, Hanks did a better job with his role in Cast Away. You bought in to his character and the desperation, etc. of being in that situation (alone, marooned) IMO.

BTW, have never seen any containers floating by, but I've seen "lots" of "bales". . .
THe only difference is that Julie and I saw it in a movie theater and is was SO frustrating. By the end, I was happy he died. He should also not make another film, as it was unclear what point he was trying to make:

Can he not act anymore?
Or was he trying to depict an incompetent sailor?

Hitting or getting hit by a whale is far more likely, at least from the empirical evidence.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #48
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
At best, the movie was very boring and at worst, it was highly inaccurate. Other than the boredom, not a lot different from Jesus and old gladiator movies when it comes to accuracy.
I like action and adventure movies and I don't expect historical accuracy. Just fantasy and adventure. "Raiders of the Lost Arc" is a good example.
Hollywood makes movies. That's what it does.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #49

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
Never saw a technically worse and inaccurate movie in my life. Wrote a damming review for IMDB.com. This reminds me to look up the receipts for the movie, it must have been the biggest flop that year.

UPDATE:

Production $9 Mill

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $6,263,670 46.0% + Foreign: $7,363,849 54.0% = Worldwide: $13,627,519
Cannot beleive it made money
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #50
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Look at the average movie goer....then how many of them know it is inaccurate?

Not too many news reports I ever see are accurate....and that was only a movie.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #51

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
By the end, I was happy he died.
Are you sure he died?
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
THe only difference is that Julie and I saw it in a movie theater and is was SO frustrating. By the end, I was happy he died. He should also not make another film, as it was unclear what point he was trying to make:

Can he not act anymore?
Or was he trying to depict an incompetent sailor?

Hitting or getting hit by a whale is far more likely, at least from the empirical evidence.
Just so you have been warned, he's staring in a movie called "Truth" this year. He plays Dan Rather during "Rathergate". Has to do with Rather trying to derail Bush in the presidential election with documents that turned out to be forgeries. Sure to be a liberal cult classic.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #53
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Actually I didn't mind the movie. I'd heard all bad reports about it so my expectations were low. I tried (with difficulty) ignoring all the incorrect technical aspects, and just took it for what it was.
It passed the time nicely on a flight to Dubai.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #54
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Ted...I heard something different. I think he's working on the Island Packett story, reported here on another thread. Should make equally good material for the next flic.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
It was an exercise in frustration, but probably no worse than most aviation movies I've watched. I have a hard time watching them...as do most people seated in the room with me.

How hard is it to hire a real captain to provide an honest, real world reasonableness test for these multi-million dollar productions.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:06 AM   #56

City: Ft. Myers, FL
I thought that he played his character very well.

In my mind the character was an old man who was doing many of the things that you expect people of that age to do: don't panic, think things through methodically, be slow and purposeful in your actions, and understand the limitations of your abilities.

Regardless of whether the story was technically accurate, I understood how the character acted: he made mistakes that people in hurried situations do (air cap on water jug was one example, where sea water contaminated his drinking supply); not doing this or doing that (again, an old man does everything slow, so steps would likely be omitted).

The character is rescued in the end.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #57
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post

In my mind the character was an old man who was doing many of the things that you expect people of that age to do: don't panic, think things through methodically, be slow and purposeful in your actions, and understand the limitations of your abilities.

Regardless of whether the story was technically accurate, I understood how the character acted: he made mistakes that people in hurried situations do (air cap on water jug was one example, where sea water contaminated his drinking supply); not doing this or doing that (again, an old man does everything slow, so steps would likely be omitted).

I am in agreement. Heck, very few movies are remotely technically accurate. We need to keep in mind it is entertainment and not a documentary. Most of the viewers probably had never been on a sailboat before much less sailed. Many might have dreamed of hopping on a boat and sailing off into the horizon. The movie did a good job of identifying risks and dangers of doing that specially single handedly. It also enlightens about survival skills. Throughout the movie, it elicits the viewer to think about what actions they would take if in a similar position. It isn't the greatest movie in the world but certainly a departure from what is normally found in theaters.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #58
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post

I agree with you that he played it well. It would have been nice if the movie was more technically accurate, but that's not the the point they were trying to make. (Anyone concerned about the technical accuracy in Star Trek or Non-Stop?) And RR certainly doesn't need to defend his acting chops to me.

SPOILER ALERT (beyond this point is info about the finale)

The ending is deliberately ambiguous. The director acknowledges this. People will interpret it differently. I see it as the inevitability and final acceptance of what's waiting for all of us. He's done all he can to survive--making mistakes as we all do. But survival can only last for so long.

Others see it as the hand of God reaching down to pull him to the afterlife--white light and all. Still others believe he is literally rescued.

Technical accuracy would be great, but sometimes a movie is just a movie.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #59
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
You're right Angus. I can imagine what the NASA engineers had to say about the technical aspects of the Star Trek movie.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #60
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I don't care how old you are, when you put your feet in water where there should be none your heart rate is going to jump a little. He was like the emotionless walking dead from the gitgo.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote