Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #21

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
I beleive containers have (for some time now) a water-activated mechanism which ensures they sink when lost overboard. My knowledge of this is only due to news/current affairs reports a few years ago when a continer ship lost a substantial amount of containers outside of Moreton Bay. I;ve never seen one floating, either, in 40-something years of rec boating around busy coastal shipping lanes.

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Of course, if it happens to be loaded with Nidacore, Ping-pong balls or West Marine auto-inflate Life Jackets, who knows.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Good one Larry!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Remember folks it's just a movie...not a survival training film....

I rarely look to Hollywood for facts.....even better is closely watching Hollywood portrayals of mechanics fixing things....anyone copy those guys?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

I rarely look to Hollywood for facts.....even better is closely watching Hollywood portrayals of mechanics fixing things....anyone copy those guys?
Well, actually, yeah! Once aboard a charter schooner, I barked out a line of instructions that I copied from Erol Flynn on the movie "Capt. Blood", but everyone just ignored me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flynn.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	26933  

Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #26
Art
Guru

Quote:

Well actually yes! MacGyver (i.e. Rube Goldberg for us young birds - lol) has some really good ways to jury rig items... when necessary!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, MA.
Vessel Name: Navy Whale
Vessel Model: 41' MMC Defever Trawler
The way Redford moved around the boat, it had seemed he'd never been on one. He looked very uncomfortable!
Pinball63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Well actually yes! MacGyver (i.e. Rube Goldberg for us young birds - lol) has some really good ways to jury rig items... when necessary!
Well feel free to use Hollywood for survival techniques too then...let me know how it works out.......
Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Just watched it again for reference. Still not a "bad movie". I am sure it was not intended to, but it has made us all ask questions and have answers for what we would have done if it was us. So, while unintentional, perhaps we do learn something from it. (like never go ocean cruising without an EPIRB or a PFD)
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Still haven't seen the movie but what I learned (anecdotal) is don't go ocean cruising with Robert Redford.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I give the movie "one star." Sorry I paid for a theatre presentation; should have waited for it to be on television. Now would be a good time for Redford to retire as well as stop making silly, nonsensical political statements.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #32
Art
Guru

Quote:
Well feel free to use Hollywood for survival techniques too then...let me know how it works out.......
Wo Horsy - WOOOO! Not for survival!

But, Goldberg/MacGuyver quick fix mechanical is OK... when needed!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #33
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I give the movie "one star." Sorry I paid for a theatre presentation; should have waited for it to be on television. .
When the wife and I on rare occasion, have time to go to the movies, we watch the trailers and go....let's come see it or...wait for the DVD.
I'm seeing more wait for it to come out on DVD movies these days.

Quote:
...as well as stop making silly, nonsensical political statements
But isn't that what they do???

Remember, there are essentially three (3) types of people:
1) Those who MAKE things happen.
2) Those who WATCH things happen.
3) Those who WONDER what happened!

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #34

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto View Post
Nevertheless I have some considerations: 1.- What is doing a 78 old man at his own in a sailboat of 11 meters in the middle of the pacific at 1700 miles from Sumatra Straights? 2.- Why he was sleeping with no radar alarm? 3.- after looking to the situation, why he does not start the engine to save the batteries and switch the bilge pump on? 4.- Why he jumps on to the container risking himself to roll and fall into the water? 5.- Why he does not reinforce the hull repair by inside of the hull? 6.- Why he risks himself in crawling to the top of the mast (by the way totally oversized) to detect that the antenna connector is loose... apparently the damage was before the crash... 7.- Why he is not using the formal Mayday call? 8,- Why he was not using the sea anchor to stand the storm avoiding rolling? 9.- How he is able to know his position with the sextant without looking later in the tables? 10.- Why he does not take everything possible to the raft? 11.- Why he does not make sun signals with the mirror? 12.- What is he doing in the middle of the Pacific with no EPIRB? 13.- Only one radio, no BLU? 14.- no back up portable battery? 15.- all sweet water was coming from the sink tap? and some more that I avoid in order to not disclosure the end of the movie. I do not think that these mistakes were intentionally on the script, but a nautical advisor for the film is so noticeable. In real life I understand that the stress of the situation could force you to make mistakes, but, that size?
And when he discovered the hole...no effort was made to plug it with a mattress or cushion, drawer and cushion/mattress.....backing board, etc...etc...

I was disappointed in the movie. But on the other hand, Captain Phillips (watched the day before) was great!

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post
I didn't care for the movie.

Acting was stiff and the activities undertaken for rescue left me frustrated.

Spent the first twenty minutes talking out loud (which I rarely do for a movie) questioning this and that . . as it was a rental and I was watching it from home, the only one I was disturbing was my significant other . . .

The lay-up of the glass repair should have had a great deal more "backing" for strength (a couple of wood strips? - rip a wood door off a cabinet or a ply hatch cover under a cushion for pete's sake. . . where the safety gear was stored . . . no EPRIB . . . his flares seemed to be for coastal and not oceanic signaling. As well as how many were available . . . survivors that I've read about mention the difficulty being seen during daylight by passing ships and the ensuing debate as to when to sleep (sleep during day, awake at night for better possibility of flares being seen at night). His "SOS" hailing (seriously?).... About the only thing I thought ingenious by the time he was where he was emotionally was the ending. I won't comment on the specifics as as not to ruin the ending for anyone not having seen the picture (recomment saving your money however).

It was this movie or Captain Phillips Saturday night. I've since spoken to folks who have seen both movies and far and away they all say the hostage movie was much better. Coincidentially, Hanks did a better job with his role in Cast Away. You bought in to his character and the desperation, etc. of being in that situation (alone, marooned) IMO.

BTW, have never seen any containers floating by, but I've seen "lots" of "bales". . .
Totally agree. Even my wife couldn't understand his lethargic response to everything. Also, they patch job ridiculous.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #36
Guru

Lethargic.....exactly. Lethargy led the whole film, half-heartedness prevalent. But again, I think this was what this guy was about (not much), and Redford played him well. Sure, it wasn't the way I wanted things to work out, it wasn't the way I wanted him to respond. How about some fricken passion! But......that wasn't the movie. If you want to inspired, don't go to this movie. If you want to be provoked, like some part in you to be disturbed into asking the kind of questions and making the kind of comments you're reading here, go.

One more thing, Reading the comments here tell me how much I missed that you didn't, but how much I got that there's been no comment about so far. All in all, I think RT has the most objective approach to it (don't go to sea with Robert Redford). If you don't sink on account of lethargic reaction, you'd probably jump off anyway.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
If you want to inspired, don't go to this movie. If you want to be provoked, like some part in you to be disturbed into asking the kind of questions and making the kind of comments you're reading here, go.
Right. Definitely not an inspirational movie. Just a loner, doing the best he knows how, making mistakes (as others have been quick to point out), and slowly committing suicide, whether consciously or unconsciously. It would be nice to have known his background, but that would not be faithful to the theme of the movie. Definitely not a movie that everyone would enjoy. I enjoyed it, however. Personally, I think that Redford did an extraordinary acting job with it, but can well understand that not everyone will feel that way.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #38
Art
Guru

RR resides in and loves the Rockies. God bless him... beautiful region... but, way too far from either coast. I lived in and around Denver for a few years. Not much water to speak of in those parts... at least not ocean type waters!

No wonder he looked/acted like a fish out of water - lol.

RR's accustomed to cow paddies and horse shoes! From comments in this thread it makes me wonder if anyone on the film-set truly had any ocean boating experience... especially when emergency arises such as RR encountered. I’m not seeking to see that flick, but, if I haphazardly run into it already playing then comments on this thread will “flood” into my mind – pun intended!!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: In Between
Could be a good film to use as a training tool for "What Not To Do" in blue-water sailing. For most non boaters, it was as designed....entertainment.
Slowpoke
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
Could be a good film to use as a training tool for "What Not To Do" in blue-water sailing. For most non boaters, it was as designed....entertainment.
Slowpoke
Your post got me thinking....I too posted that it was just Hollywood...meaning entertainment...

But the bottom line usually is still dollars.

Most people really don't understand the call of the sea and therefore it is a mystery to them and a romantic fantasy,,,usually a good way to at least get people to buy tickets. Once in, whether they know what an EPIRB is or not...they are just stargazing at the characters and dreaming of sailing the seven seas...munching popcorn and thinking...man, when I get my boat and head out...I won't let that happen.

heck...most boaters, even experienced ones have NO IDEA what a multiple day, blue water passage is let alone from the deck of a small vessel. So they too are lured into watching movies like this. Once they do a multiple day passage staring at only waves, coastal cruising fills their bucket list just fine.

So we'll see how it does in 10 years...after the box office, DVDs, then television. Who knows, it may become the greatest money maker of all times...first filling the dreamers heads, then watched by old salts as a cult movie for what it lacks.....