A few tips on negotiating for a boat purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
In 2003, many years before I was lucky enough to find TF, I frequented another boating forum, boatingabc dot com. There happened to be numerous threads about buying a boat, picking a broker, etc., similar to what we have going on with TF.

At the time I was in a management position for one of the largest RV dealers in the state of WA and over the years I picked up a lot of points about buying an RV. Well, after awhile it dawned on me that many of those same tips also applied to the purchase of a boat. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not totally dead upstairs.

So I wrote a thread with many tips and tricks and suggestions o help people who are in the boat buying adventure. Little did I know that they would make it a sticky thread and that now, some 16 years later, it would have almost 250,000 page views.

http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ub...-tips-for-buying-your-new-boat.html#Post20227

About the same time frame I wrote another thread about negotiating to get a better interest rate. It also was made a sticky thread and has almost 90,000 page views.

http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ub...nterest-rates-on-your-new-boat.html#Post33003

So, some rainy afternoon when there's nothing else to do and you're bored out of your mind, you might take a look at these two threads.

On the first one, in almost every instance where I had a punctuation mark, it somehow got replaced with a �. I don't know what happened, but it's a bit annoying.

Now, I'm not in any way suggestion that any TF members become regular visitors to that forum. It has almost died on the vine so there's not much information that's new.

Start with this: 1) www.seedealercost.com 2) Higher quality boats may have stronger dealer networks that refuse to bid against one another but you'll need a local dealer. Robalo may be an answer for you with its national price program. 3) Boats are not cars in that fewer are sold therefore the dealer needs a higher margin to stay in business. 4) Be careful with the dealer prep costs. I saw outrageous numbers from one of the largest dealers on the east coast i.e. $5000-$7000 plus on a 25' boat. This was nothing more than a way to increase profits. Protect yourself by insisting on a final price plus tax. Good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom