A few drone videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very cool! What drone do you use?

DJI Spark. Still learning!

Very nice and that’s a beautiful boat. I’ve always been a pushover for a redhead (or hull)!

Joe

Great imagery. Just got a used drone to start playing with.

Am I right in remembering that the original N37 was designed to go south to Brazil and then venture up the Amazon?

Impressed on how small the wake is!

Nicely done BoatHealer

Very cool shots. I’m tempted to get a drone for our Bahamas trip but don’t want to spend big money because A) I don’t know how much I will actually use it, and B) I’m not a very good pilot and will eventually crash it probably.

Is the DJI Spark like $400?

I see all the bloggers getting awesome drone shots in the Bahamas, and even using the drone to decide where they want to explore sometimes. Is that really feasible?

Very cool shots. I’m tempted to get a drone for our Bahamas trip but don’t want to spend big money because A) I don’t know how much I will actually use it, and B) I’m not a very good pilot and will eventually crash it probably.

Is the DJI Spark like $400?

I see all the bloggers getting awesome drone shots in the Bahamas, and even using the drone to decide where they want to explore sometimes. Is that really feasible?

Yes the spark is around $400.

I didn't buy an expensive one for the very reason that I knew at least one would end up in the water. That has already happened. If you plan on that going in it's a little easier to swallow.

Yes I think all of that is feasible to film and use to locate anchorages, etc. Provided you can do it about 7 minutes at a time which is about the battery life for safe flying of the spark. I keep 3 batteries charged up and ready to go. That's one of the trade-offs for an ultra convenient low-cost drone compared to the larger ones.

The learning curve is considerable--not for flying, but getting used to the DJI app all the features and settings-- they can be pretty confusing when you are in the middle of trying to film something. The more you use it the easier it will get.

Go for it! (...... and post those Bahamas videos!)

Sorry forgot to ask, is the controller a FPV that uses an iPhone as a screen? I have trouble flying these things without First Person View.

Sorry forgot to ask, is the controller a FPV that uses an iPhone as a screen? I have trouble flying these things without First Person View.

iPhone or android phone by itself, or iPhone / Android connected to a remote controller. Search for spark on YouTube 4 tons of information and demos.

iPhone or android phone by itself, or iPhone / Android connected to a remote controller. Search for spark on YouTube 4 tons of information and demos.

Ahh yeah thanks. Checked them out. Ordered a Spark and an extra battery.

The new Raymarine MFD will apparently run some drones.

Got the Spark in and have been flying it around. Very cool. Seems much easier to fly than what I had before.

Do you ever used the tracking function on the boat while underway? Does it circle automatically?

If the boat is moving I assume I need to used the dynamic home point?

Thanks.

Got the Spark in and have been flying it around. Very cool. Seems much easier to fly than what I had before.

Do you ever used the tracking function on the boat while underway? Does it circle automatically?

If the boat is moving I assume I need to used the dynamic home point?

Thanks.

Yes, use both trace and profile models of tracking. Practice using it on yourself while walking around and enable circle modes to see how it works.

Yes home point needs to be moved along with you if you are going to use the RTH function.

My typical scenario so far is:

1. Stop boat, launch
2. Run boat, shoot video in various modes. Set updated home points along the way.
3. Stop boat (watch current!). Set new home point (confirm valid). Trigger return to home, take over manually when close and land on deck.

Enjoy!
(Waiting for your vids!)

Ok thanks. Will practice that again, on the ground. I see now I can activate circling mode while it is tracking.

I crashed my last drone in the water so I’m a nervous pilot. [emoji30]

Ok thanks. Will practice that again, on the ground. I see now I can activate circling mode while it is tracking.

I crashed my last drone in the water so I’m a nervous pilot. [emoji30]

Yep. Pretty nerve-wracking - I'm still not over it. That's why I opted for a $350 drone and not the $1500 one.

I COUNTED on it going into the drink AT LEAST once (my first one is at the bottom of the Neuse River). I'm on my second. :blush:

This is just a dumb video of my dirty pool, my wife being annoyed with me, and our back patio. If you open the video from YouTube the quality is better at 1080p. On the TF site it seems much lower quality.
https://youtu.be/XAY23kem3mg

This DJI editor sure does make it easy to put together videos quickly from your iPhone.

Last edited:
That’s pretty damn cool.

Back
Top Bottom