Old 10-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #81

City: Ashland
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
and an electrical (physical) connection of the dissimilar metals.

Yes, of course

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Veteran sailboat yachtsman Syd Fischer built at least one ferro-cement racing sailboat called Ragamuffin (there were several boats, were they all ferro, not sure), nicknamed "The Flying Footpath" (some might say 'Sidewalk") which he raced extensively including the famed and almost always tough, "Sydney-Hobart". I don`t recall any report of structural issues.
Sounds like the boat utazo89 is looking at has gone, even so,I best take each such boat on its individual merits.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #83
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I was the project manager for surveying the ten concrete ship breakwater ~13 years ago.

If anyone is truly interested having a ferrocement hull surveyed, I have a list of some pretty good contacts. All ACI members.

Half cell potential measurements would be high on my list of NDT requirements for a survey.

SS would still likely have its passivation layer while embedded in the paste. Pitting corrosion due to high chlorides is more probable.

There are quite a few Samson hulls still on the BC coast. They seem to attract very long term owners.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #84
Guru

City: Hampton Va Back River
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
@sdowney717. That type of repair is a 'last ditch' way to patch up old wooden hulls. A sure sign of 'the end' from my experience. The problem isn't "the entire hull" with FC. It's the fully cured Portland Cement that you are attempting to attach new cement to in a repair/patch. There is NO penetration and no adhesion between the new and old. Any flex, bump, distortion of the hull and you have instant gusher.
My idea was use epoxy and a cloth either kevlar or FG, dont use cement.
Does any think epoxy won't stick to cement? I did a little googling, and people patching holes in FC did use epoxy.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #85
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Ferro Cement Boat

It may stick. But is your life worth it? IMHO There is nothing wrong with FC. Until it needs major post accident repairs. Then whatever investment you have is just about worthless.

You can get modern epoxies to stick to steel hulls too. Doesn't mean it's an effective or dependable long term repair.

To see how epoxy/ fiberglass flexes, next time you are out in rough weather find an accessible part of the underwater hull. Place your hand on it and feel the flexing of the hull.

Epoxy and fiberglass flex. Cement doesn't. I don't think anyone can absolutely 100% guarantee mixing two types of dissimilar products like this. Well.... maybe a TV pitchman.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #86
Guru

City: Sydney
With so many better options and the "bad "we know about FB boats why would anyone even contemplate owing one then realising there mistake then trying to sell it ????

Then again ppl have been known to buy JEEPS
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #87
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
IMHO - Owning a construction co for decades and having professionally/personally worked with masonry, tile, concrete, stucco, and plaster for over 40 years (as well as having invented well selling hand-held pressure injection grout tools):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

There is a way to create a pressure injection, vibrating system... employing high grade internal mesh support... for building "ferro" boat hulls and decks and superstructure. Brought to its fullest capabilities (especially with modern "cement" composition additives utilized to their fullest) I believe this "ferro" boat building system could be made to turn out super rugged and durable light weight boat parts faster than any other building means. Labor costs would be slashed during hull, deck, and superstructure sequences. Of course... the cost to originate and well-design this boat building method would cost millions at the onset. That said - this method might drop the cost of boat building low enough to capture substantial sales opportunities in the marine industry.

Anybody got millions to invest in a new boat building method that could sweep the pleasure craft (maybe commercial craft too) boat building industry?? Feel free to contact me via PM...
Happy Boat-Building Daze - Art

As I say above in previous post #74 [pg. 4] in this thread (see quote above)... and as the following video shows [originally supplied by sdowney717 - on post 47 this thread]... cement mixtures have come a long way for durability and usability as compared to yesteryear. Building "ferro" cement boat is already considerably inexpensive (on more than one level) than other boat building methods. And, the quick turnaround ferro-build method I've designed would slash labor costs as compared to known methods. I can see that "flexible", durable, incredibly strong, and easily surface-fared cement mixtures with internal support structures (non corrosive plastic coated metals) and revolutionary ferro material quick-building methods could become the new rage in pleasure craft construction. Ferro-build boats may become a commercial game changer for new boat cost reductions and therefore increased boat sales.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #88
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
@Art

Can a FC hull be repaired if it is holed? Can the old cured cement be structurally joined to a 'new' cement patch? Allowing No water penetration?

I don't see anyone arguing whether cement is cheaper, or whether they are unsound.

But if they are damaged (beyond surface scuffs) can they be repaired? This seems to drive the resale value down. ( which seemed to be the crux of the thread)
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #89
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
@Art

Can a FC hull be repaired if it is holed? Can the old cured cement be structurally joined to a 'new' cement patch? Allowing No water penetration?

I don't see anyone arguing whether cement is cheaper, or whether they are unsound.

But if they are damaged (beyond surface scuffs) can they be repaired? This seems to drive the resale value down. ( which seemed to be the crux of the thread)
There are ways to do it currently and better ways being devised. For me to authoritatively answer your question I'd need to be in test labs and then onsite with field experiments of actually damaged/repaired hulls.

I recommend you visit Super-Krete | Concrete Products | Concrete Repair Products - Super-Krete I've known John (the founder) for decades and used some of his super binding, flexible products. After decades... he recently sold his operation to an organization, but stay on as consultant. This all began back in the 70's or 80's with Chevron pouring hundreds of millions into chemists and other high techies for creating new and better surface coatings that actually permeate old surfaces for tight, permanent bond that became more durable than the original surface.

I'm confident that there could become a way for "ferro" boat repairs to arrive at a permanent repair method.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #90

City: Kirkland
'Northern Spy'

I sent you a PM.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #91

Well, I went to see the 1973 55'-er today. The weather was nice and sunny, but the boat looked depressing. It is quite neglected at the lower level. The salon level is OK, but the rest.... I took pictures and I'll to attach some. My first question is about the hull. It shows some type of wet stains all around. When I asked the broker, he told me it was from the bilge, which has water and oil mix inside. It was never pumped out, before it was put on hard and now it is sipping through the hull. I am not sure, if this is repairable, after the bilge is cleaned out, but it does not look good. Plus, the oil is coming from somewhere, so the engine might have some major issues, too.
How do I attach photos here?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #92

I uploaded some photos about the oil stains on the hull.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/m...albums552.html
Old 10-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #93
Guru

Its totally rooted those brown stains are cancer and the blisters are also cancer .Seen some bad ones but not this bad the oil is actually weeping through the hull .The broker should be shot for even offering to sell it
Old 10-13-2016, 12:59 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Its totally rooted those brown stains are cancer and the blisters are also cancer .Seen some bad ones but not this bad the oil is actually weeping through the hull .The broker should be shot for even offering to sell it
Shot? .... no, I would not do that... lol
But I'll walk, for sure. Those oil stains are all around, by the way. Some bigger, some smaller.
Thank you for the honesty!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:09 AM   #95

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Golly, that's sad. That boat was once someone's pride and joy, and they obviously put a lot into it.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Golly, that's sad. That boat was once someone's pride and joy, and they obviously put a lot into it.

Maybe the owner was selling his pride and joy for a reason
Old 10-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #97
Art
Guru

Run, Run... RUN AWAY!!!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:56 AM   #98
Guru

Post#34

One would need to have a extremely good sense of humor to purchase any ferro boat
Old 10-13-2016, 01:58 AM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

If the broker wanted to hide it, he`d have it in the water. Assuming of course, that`s possible, without bad consequences.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #100
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
I uploaded some photos about the oil stains on the hull.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/m...albums552.html
Don't give up on her yet. I see there is a bonus pair of vice grips down in the bilge.

AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote