Old 05-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Fender line size?

I was watching some fender tie videos, that all seem to use larger lines, maybe 1/2".
I have had a very large fender tied on using 1/4 " nylon double braid for years. that rope has survived me forgetting to pull in the fender while getting stretched and squeezed between boat and wood pilings.
I have some short pieces of 9/16 nylon 3 strand I am thinking of setting aside for this task.

I see lots of videos on tying to the rail, but none on tieing line to fender, What knot do you use? I have five 10"? diameter fenders with end tie places, and one with a central hole.
And I have a very large red round ball type fender. It floated by the boat one day.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
For fenders with "eyes", I splice an eye in the line and loop it through the fender eye. No knot needed. For fenders with the central hole, I use line large enough that a double knot tied it the end cannot ever pull through, though on my large fenders, this means 5/8" line.

Ken
Attached Images

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
sd...

A couple of choices come to mind...
Mine are all thru holes except a ball
I like larger dia (min 1/2" - 5/8) for the ease of handling a larger line - we also use adjusters on most of our fender locations and like the larger for that application

For the thru holes my first choice would be a figure 8 (which I use OK w/ mine)
If you need more bulk other stopper knots should work well

For the one end fenders - Bowline probably the simplest - but if you have 3 strand why not splice a small eye and loop the bitter end thru the fender and then the eye

I also like to put a figure 8 on the bitter end - better to grab if something slips and prevents running thru the adjuster where I have them

I do have one lacation right at the stern there I run a longer line thru the central hole (w a stopper knot to hold the right ht) and tie the bottom fwd to prevent it from "popping out" when locking / docking etc. If you find a need to do the same but only once-in-a-while again a small eye below a stopper knot on the center hole would allow you to add a second line when needed or use the double ended fender w/ a second line

hope that helps
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
Guru

I can do eye splices, but that seems like extra effort that I don't want to do?
How much length do you set aside for your fenders?
Old 05-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Ours seem to be 3/8ths in diameter; comfortable to handle and fit in the fender eyes. Believe they are the standard West Marine offering.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Guru

That red fender looks like one of mine that I got as a freebie.
My other fenders sit in holders on the bow rail.
I only ever use one old dirty fender all the time to keep my boat aways from the boat next to mine at the stern.

So I was thinking why not make some fender lines just in case for the other 5 fenders. I have lots of old rope just got nothing to use it for.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

So I was thinking why not make some fender lines just in case for the other 5 fenders. I have lots of old rope just got nothing to use it for.
Yes, why not?

We usually deploy five on each side!

The orange ones near bow and stern are useful when approaching/leaving the dock at an angle.

If I was to ever dock Mediterranean style, I'd move the bow fenders and place them beside/under the raised swim platform.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Five is good Mark,
Re dia one should consider how strong a fender needs to be. I visualise tying on the outside of the customs float at Friday Hbr WA w big following wakes rolling in from larger yachts coming in w skippers w smaller brains. When the boat is tied to the port side and a big wake rolls the boat vilolently clockwise (port side rising) and wave bangs the boat against the float at the same time along w a worst case scenario of the float surface being rough concrete the fender and it's attach line is put to the test.

I use 3/8ths like Mark and a large fender fwd for innital landing contact. But not a large one aft due to the shape of the hull. If I were Mark I'd use two small fenders aft to make boarding easier.

They say if you can't fit the anchor on the bow it's big enough.
Well I'd say if you can't see your hull the fenders are big enough.
One passing thought is that probably the size of the fender line should be sized to the boat .... not the fender.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
We use 5/16th double braided nylon on our Polyform Htm 3 fenders. I use a simple knot on the bottom which I lock-down by melting it a bit with a lighter. I put a simple knot at the top to prevent the line pulling free. I like the soft two double braided, because it has a bit of give to it, which puts less strain in the rails. We also use fender covers, which eliminates scratches on the hull. Everybody is a little different I suppose.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
If you think that an eye splice is "extra effort" that you don't want to do, I would suggest that you do one or two and then you will find that you can do them as quickly and with about the same amount of effort as a bowline. The other end as mentioned can terminate with a figure 8 or roll a back-splice (dog dick) in it in about 10 seconds more than a figure 8.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I just buy "fender whips" at most any marine retailer. These are short sections of line with eye splices on one end. Anything less than 3/8" is hard on the hands, for most of us, anything larger than 1/2" is too big for the fenders and the cleats.

While it's true it's possible to make your own eye splices, it's usually just as cheap to buy them already done.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We use 3/8" double braid on our 10" dia. fenders with the pre-made adjustable rail hangers. We keep one line about 6 ft and the other is 12 ft in case we have to hang them vertically. Have not found a good reason to change yet.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #13

City: Sydney
FWIW I like plenty of fenders for my heavy boat, keeping their lines long for versatility and thick enough for my arthritic hands to grip easily.

They are attached to the fender with a bowline or splice, and to the rail with a clove hitch when solo or variations of round turn and two half hitches when crewed.

Two types - 'sausage' shape x 8 for use with fender boards, and ball shape x 4 for general use.

Plus one extra large ball for roving defence
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03915.jpg   DSC03998.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #14
Guru

I am fairly sure the rope is 9/16. My dock lines are 3/4 inch.
It fits easily through the fender eye.
Then I thought why not put a stopper knot on the rope end. I did and it works great.
No way the knot can escape the eye, and I can quickly unrope the fender.
I tried the half hitch, bowline type knots, and it just looked way to bulky. The half hitch, the rope is stiff and it just wants to come apart. But just tying a knot in the rope end, it is tight and I feel very confident the fender will not fall off the rope.

If I was using 3/8 line, I think a loop knot or a splice would be better, but with this thicker rope, no.

A loop splice would make the 9/16" rope so thick, I doubt would pass through the eye of the fender.
And I dont want to have a loop spliced permanently on the fender. It looks elegant, but not practical, I mean then your stuck with it on there all the time.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I use 5/8" line on all my large sausage and ball fenders. Mikey don't like no fenders coming loose in the locks and don't like being rocked against a dock by a passing wake.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
John (Eagle 49),
That's a real classy touch having the shape of the bottom of the bumper metal on the top of the stem match the shape of the anchor fluke tip. Real classy!

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #17

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
John (Eagle 49),
That's a real classy touch having the shape of the bottom of the bumper metal on the top of the stem match the shape of the anchor fluke tip. Real classy!
What can I say Eric, the previous owner loved stainless fabrication.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #18
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We use "fender whips" with the tie-on-the-end type fenders.

With our feed-thru-the-middle fenders, I think we're using 15' ¼" pre-spliced double-braided dock lines (not perfectly sure of diameter, though). Figure-8 stopping knots to keep the fenders centered on the line. We can use the loop on one end, or not, depending on circumstance.

-Chris
Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We use 1/2" on all fender lines. We seem to move our fenders around a lot, which means lots of line handling. Anything smaller than 1/2" is uncomfortable on our hands.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #20
Guru

Yes good point on size, My 9/16 fender lines are easy on the hands.
The knot I used is called overhand knot, simply for the reason, I never want the knot to come undone, as the fender would be lost,so in my case binding is good. And a fender can get pulled hard. The single overhand knot is so big, dont see how it could pull thru my fender.
Comment on the figure 8 knot, is it is easy to come apart, it may fall undone of itself. For a fender line, do you really want to risk it?

Figure 8 | How to tie the Figure 8 (Flemish) Knot | Basics Knots

Quote:
This virtue is also, occasionally, a vice. The figure 8 can fall undone and then has to be retied.

Overhand Knot
Comparison: The Figure 8 should be compared to other common stopper knots. It is much better than the simple Overhand Knot which is smaller and can bind so tightly that it can be really difficult to undo. However, the Double Overhand Knot, the Stevedore, and the Ashley Stopper Knot, all make better Stopper knots because they are larger and more stable. For slippery ropes the EStar Stopper is the best.
This looks like a good stopper knot. Double overhand knot is bigger than single.
http://www.animatedknots.com/doubleo...om#ScrollPoint