Fender line size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The knot I used is called overhand knot, simply for the reason, I never want the knot to come undone, as the fender would be lost,so in my case binding is good. And a fender can get pulled hard. The single overhand knot is so big, dont see how it could pull thru my fender.
Comment on the figure 8 knot, is it is easy to come apart, it may fall undone of itself. For a fender line, do you really want to risk it?

Figure 8 | How to tie the Figure 8 (Flemish) Knot | Basics Knots

I'm having trouble envisioning how a Figure 8 knot can "fall undone of itself."

???

-Chris

I'm having trouble envisioning how a Figure 8 knot can "fall undone of itself."

???

-Chris

I have read that on a couple sites.
'The figure 8 can fall undone and then has to be retied.'

I dont know, the knot sites claim it can. Maybe if a load on the knot comes and goes over time?Or they just dont have a clue and make up stuff, HaHa, cheers, etc....

Could be the knot may slip down the rope and untie itself.

Last edited:
sdowney, those fenders came out really nice. I wonder how well/long that plasticdip will hold up?

I have read that on a couple sites.
'The figure 8 can fall undone and then has to be retied.'

I dont know, the knot sites claim it can. Maybe if a load on the knot comes and goes over time?Or they just dont have a clue and make up stuff, HaHa, cheers, etc....

Heh... yep, I see where all that's been written... but I'm having a hard time visualizing it...

-Chris

sdowney, those fenders came out really nice. I wonder how well/long that plasticdip will hold up?

Some always looked horrible on their tops, a burnt brownish corroded look, likely from the Sun and UV slow burning the weeping plasticisers out of the vinyl.

PlastiDip is waterproof, I feel it will at least seal the tops and they will keep looking very nice. The fender sides also got a little sticky.
I can not just rub off the PlastiDip by hand rubbing the surface. The video shows it withstands an 1800 PSI washer. Who knows, but in a heavy rubbing or surface tearing situation, It may damage the Plastidip. But the tops will remain nice, that was where the most stickiness was.

Plastidip really does remelt old Plastidip, so makes for extremely easy touch up. If you had a frayed section, spray on Plastidip and rub with your finger, and it all melts together into a new surface.

Some people put cloth covers on fenders. So then just coat the tops which will never rub, and they will stay looking good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom