Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We use the double overhand knot under fenders (5/8" lines). Unlike a single overhand which will eventually "fuse" to unity, a d-o-k can be undone (usually with a fair amount of difficulty but still un-doable). Above fenders, mostly 8'+ of straight line-no knots/loops.

As a related aside, I've yet to find, what I feel is, a suitable adjuster to use. We've tried....

Which are a real PIA to move...and

Which tend to self destruct under severe stress.

I'm not a big fan of tying to upper rails. Usually secured to stanchion bases or deck cleats.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
I'm not a big fan of tying to upper rails. Usually secured to stanchion bases or deck cleats.
I feel the same way. I use the base of the stanchion. I am afraid of the amount of leverage from a rail.

I have used these on my sailboat for years. They are inexpensive (relative term) easy to use, and have held up very well. They are made by Cape Hatteras Marine. To put them on, you simply aim the end of the clip at the stanchion or rail and push. The ends are slightly angles away from each other so they spread out and then snap around the stanchion. To remove, you simply unweight the clip slightly, then twist it and it opens up to take off the rail. Very fast and easy. I have used these on my sailboats for 10 years. They are always on the boat in the weather. I have had only one fail on me in that time. We also used these to attach our Fender Step to the base of the stanchions at the gate. My wife and I are big people and they took the weight just fine.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"And I dont want to have a loop spliced permanently on the fender. It looks elegant, but not practical, I mean then your stuck with it on there all the time."

I disagree. Whenever you are going to use, or stow your fenders on deck, they need a line attached. An elegant looking attachment that will always be there is exactly what you need.

9/16 is a perfect size.

The "dog dick" (above), is also elegant and is the best way to end the line.
You can't do these otherwise easy splices if your double braid has previously been used for more than about a minute.

I do a quick clove hitch around a stanchion, at its base, hanging the fender so its bottom is just above the water. Easy to deploy, easy to retrieve, easy to hang from the cleats on the rear cabin top.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
As a related aside, I've yet to find, what I feel is, a suitable adjuster to use. We've tried....

Cow hitch (lanyard hitch), if on a rail: Cow Hitch | How to tie the Cow Hitch using the End | Various Knots

Cheap. Looks decent. Easy to tie. Quick to adjust.

I usually tail it with a half hitch, though...

-Chris
Old 05-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Cow hitch (lanyard hitch), if on a rail: Cow Hitch | How to tie the Cow Hitch using the End | Various Knots

Cheap. Looks decent. Easy to tie. Quick to adjust.

I usually tail it with a half hitch, though...
With my new boat, that is what I have been doing as well. A Cow hitch backed by a half hitch. So far it has been very secure. I still am getting used to where the fenders need to be.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I tied 2 lines using an Ashley stopper knot. the knot is twice the size of an overhand knot.
So will use it for my other 2 fenders.

Ashley (Oysterman's) Stopper Knot | How to tie the Ashley Stopper Knot (Oysterman's) Stopper Knot | Boating Knots

I did find a large fender with a braided in loop, I forgot I had.
That fender is made of some real thick vinyl rubber, stiff with a hard surface and has no inflater and eye ring is metal. I have two of them.

How many fenders do you think a 37 foot boat needs? I have 4 on the bow rail, two of those super strong ones, one with a hole in the middle and the red ball, so 8 fenders. The bow fenders are the kind that get dirty and sticky and the surface melts gets brownish in the sun yet remain functional for decades type fenders.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #27
Guru

Polymarine Flexithane Hypalon Paint
Flexithane urethane paint works on fenders I was told. So just linking it here.
Question is that cheaper to paint or buy new fenders.

Anyone ever paint their fenders? What did you use?

How about PlastiDip or is it too soft.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Di...07-6/203286992

Actually I would like to paint even just the top, would be an improvement in appearance.

People are Plastidip their interior vinyl. and it is made to be used outside, I will try it.
It does come in many colors.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...lasti-dip.html

http://dipheadsunite.com/our-colors
Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #28
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I have, several times, sprayed my fenders with automotive landau top spray paint.

Of course a white fender will not remain that way for long but it sure did smarten them up for a time.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #29
Guru

I bleached 2 of my ugly fenders I had at the house.
I put paper towels on them and brushed on pure bleach, let them sit always helps a lot. It will take out all mildew fungus stains, even most deeply ingrained stains thay you might think would never come out. Mildew must get into the rubber.

These I then Plasti Dip painted white.
They look very nice, have a rubber grip texture.
At least they will look good on their tops. The tops get terrible appearance from the sun, sort of a melted yellow burn look. And the tops can get sticky.
I don't know how well the plasti dip will stay on, but it is not just rubbing off by my hand.

One on chair is Fend-Aire, and must be from the early 70's.
One can covered the one with hole in center, and half the other fender.
I have never bought any fenders, mostly I don't use them. But they get very dirty regardless.
Walmart had a can for $5.59
image hosting site no sign up

Plastidip I think would work great as a water barrier and crack sealer.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #30
Guru

img

I cleaned and painted some fenders with white PlastiDip.
They look very nice, even if it helps the tops stay good looking , will be an improvement.
I was reading the sticky nastiness is due to plasticizers leaking out from the vinyl. It is soluble in oil, so some clean fenders with a light oil. I also used gasoline to dissolve the sticky crud and bleach and comet and dishsoap and nylon and SS scrunges and water all together at once. Gasoline is a very good cheap cleaner.

Plastidip sprays out a little lumpy, so keep cans warm helps that. The lumpiness does smooth out. PlastiDip also dissolves into the older layers, new coat really do melt into old coats. I also smoothed some imperfections with my finger.

One can covered 1.5 fenders.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
The knot I used is called overhand knot, simply for the reason, I never want the knot to come undone, as the fender would be lost,so in my case binding is good. And a fender can get pulled hard. The single overhand knot is so big, dont see how it could pull thru my fender.
Comment on the figure 8 knot, is it is easy to come apart, it may fall undone of itself. For a fender line, do you really want to risk it?

Figure 8 | How to tie the Figure 8 (Flemish) Knot | Basics Knots

I'm having trouble envisioning how a Figure 8 knot can "fall undone of itself."

???

-Chris
Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I'm having trouble envisioning how a Figure 8 knot can "fall undone of itself."

???

-Chris
I have read that on a couple sites.
'The figure 8 can fall undone and then has to be retied.'

I dont know, the knot sites claim it can. Maybe if a load on the knot comes and goes over time?Or they just dont have a clue and make up stuff, HaHa, cheers, etc....

Could be the knot may slip down the rope and untie itself.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #33
Guru

sdowney, those fenders came out really nice. I wonder how well/long that plasticdip will hold up?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I have read that on a couple sites.
'The figure 8 can fall undone and then has to be retied.'

I dont know, the knot sites claim it can. Maybe if a load on the knot comes and goes over time?Or they just dont have a clue and make up stuff, HaHa, cheers, etc....

Heh... yep, I see where all that's been written... but I'm having a hard time visualizing it...

-Chris
Old 05-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
sdowney, those fenders came out really nice. I wonder how well/long that plasticdip will hold up?
Some always looked horrible on their tops, a burnt brownish corroded look, likely from the Sun and UV slow burning the weeping plasticisers out of the vinyl.

PlastiDip is waterproof, I feel it will at least seal the tops and they will keep looking very nice. The fender sides also got a little sticky.
I can not just rub off the PlastiDip by hand rubbing the surface. The video shows it withstands an 1800 PSI washer. Who knows, but in a heavy rubbing or surface tearing situation, It may damage the Plastidip. But the tops will remain nice, that was where the most stickiness was.

Plastidip really does remelt old Plastidip, so makes for extremely easy touch up. If you had a frayed section, spray on Plastidip and rub with your finger, and it all melts together into a new surface.

Some people put cloth covers on fenders. So then just coat the tops which will never rub, and they will stay looking good.