Fender covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have them. Use them. You have to keep them clean and free of debris just as any other item coming in contact with the gelcoat or paint. I wash the boat regularly, so they get rinsed and cleaned in the process. They reduce the abrasion of the hull surfaces. Other methods to accomplish this already mentioned probably work just as well.

Wifey B: I think covers clean up easier than fenders and while they're not cheap, cheaper to replace than fenders. :)

I don't find docking does so much to them. It's locks that just tear them up. We use fender boards where we can in locks, sort of sacrificial. We did more covers in, and a couple of fenders, on the loop than all the rest of our cruising combined. :rolleyes:

Hi All,

I have fender covers on a couple of the older fenders that came with the boat, the rest no. How many of you use them? Are they just cosmetic or do they protect the boat? Salt water.

Dave

The Awlcraft 2000 paint on my boat is very easily dulled when rubbed. I found out how easily the other day when I wanted to use a paper towel with some alcohol on it to do something about a dime-sized spot in a fairly inconspicuous place. I quickly rubbed a dull spot into the finish. I do not need fenders much, but the plastic rubbing on the paint will quickly leave a sizable dull area. I am definitely on the lookout for some decent fender covers.

My wife insisted on buying some one day. I put them on, and six months later, they were in shreds. Every nail, sharp edge, and splinter of wood on a piling seemed to rip them. West Marine specials.

Fender covers are a consumable item, guys!

Fender covers can be really individualized. We use Walmart 4XL t shirts to cover our big ball fenders, Walmart XXL ladies stretchy yoga pants for the rest. (The legs are cut off for each fender for esthetic reasons ��) - a few hand stitches keeps the material from running. Cheap and cheerful. If they get messed up. Discard and replace. They are sacrificial...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom