Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Feeling a bit nervous...

Ok, the time has come - can't put it off any longer - tomorrow Lotus comes out of the water for antifoul, insurance survey, and a couple of other jobs: e.g. replacement of raw water seacock, impeller, and repack of the stuffing box with that teflon impregnated packing. It is just over 3 years since she went in, and for sure the zincs will be need replacing as well, and I will be very interested to see how the Prop-speed has lasted, as it is the first time I have had that put on. I will take pics before the pressure clean, no matter how horrible, and after shots as well, of course, when ready to go back in, so you will all be able to judge for yourselves.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Peter,
Will be interesting to see how it all is.
3 years is a long time for prop speed, 2 is the very best that I have ever had.
Get the photos up, hope all goes well.
Cheers
Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

City: Port Havelock
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Pete,

I know how you feel, Siesta is being hauled out next week for some work to be done.

I will post a separate thread with photo's in due course.

Good luck with yours.

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
3 years is a long time for all of that stuff!!!! Good luck!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Zincs - 3 yrs - WOW! You been keeping an eye on em? Must be some real "cool" electric areas in which you keep her. Looking forward to see your picts. Best Luck!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Guru

Pete, 3 years will be a very good effort if all comes up well. I had 2 years out of antifoul (Jotun Seaguardian) and figured that was good. Looking forward to the pics.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ok, the time has come - can't put it off any longer - tomorrow Lotus comes out of the water for antifoul, insurance survey, and a couple of other jobs: e.g. replacement of raw water seacock, impeller, and repack of the stuffing box with that teflon impregnated packing. It is just over 3 years since she went in, and for sure the zincs will be need replacing as well, and I will be very interested to see how the Prop-speed has lasted, as it is the first time I have had that put on. I will take pics before the pressure clean, no matter how horrible, and after shots as well, of course, when ready to go back in, so you will all be able to judge for yourselves.
Looking forward to pics of the props and shafts. Am considering applying Prop Speed!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post

Looking forward to pics of the props and shafts. Am considering applying Prop Speed!
My boat has it and I elected not to put more on since I have a diver clean the bottom monthly. I'm hoping I made the right choice.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The one time I hauled after 3 years was at Craig Alaska and had little fowling due to my northern lats and the great performance of the Interlux Micron Extra coating. I'll NEVER use it again because it was hard and had quite a build. Was a terrible job to get the stuff off.

I adjusted the pics to best show the bottom. The prop had only ArmorAll to help prevent fowling.

I'm going to haul more often in the future and use a coating I'll not have to scrape off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71237 copy.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	25264   Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71238 copy.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	25265   Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71244 copy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	25266  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The one time I hauled after 3 years was at Craig Alaska and had little fowling due to my northern lats and the great performance of the Interlux Micron Extra coating. I'll NEVER use it again because it was hard and had quite a build. Was a terrible job to get the stuff off.

I adjusted the pics to best show the bottom. The prop had only ArmorAll to help prevent fowling.

I'm going to haul more often in the future and use a coating I'll not have to scrape off.

Hi Eric

Some place before I've read/heard of this technique for keeping prop blades clean but I never followed up on it. I'm real interested now... 3 yrs in salt water with just ArmorAll kept your prop that clean?? Did you have diver do prop cleaning during that time... clean it at all after haul out? How did you apply the ArmorAll, just one thorough coat or several coats after each dried? Looks to be a good-go per pict of your prop!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #11

City: Port Havelock
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Siesta was last out of the water 14 months ago (at the time of purchase) and I had prop speed applied. I will report the results in the 'Siesta 2013 haul out thread" (yet to the be established) next week for those that are interested.

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Guru

The ArmorAll thing does not sound right. But Eric`s prop says otherwise. If it washes off tyres surely it washes off a prop. But, maybe not. Anyone else used it?
Someone recently asked about copper plating props. I don`t think the thread went far, but there was logic in the question.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
My boat has it and I elected not to put more on since I have a diver clean the bottom monthly. I'm hoping I made the right choice.
Well BB, you did, bacause the one thing one must not do with Prop-speed is rub it - it comes off. Thats how it works, and I can relate already that things went well, and I was impressed with how little was on the prop, and how well she cleaned up with the pressure wash. I felt like telling them to just plop her back in - almost… But seriously, the zincs still had half their meat left, as well - take note Art…
So…all in all…pretty pleased, and that was with (International/Interlux) Micron Extra two coats, and the Prop-speed on prop only. Maybe it should go on the rudder too. What do you think Benn..?
I'd say she scrubbed up quite well for 3 + yrs in warm Queensland waters. Normally when she comes out the prop looks ilke that first pic of the rudder, totally encrusted…
!st 2 shots before clean - 2nd 2 after pressure hose clean…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	25269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	25270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	25271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	25272  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Peter,
That looks pretty good.
No don.t Prop Speed the rudder , just dive on it now and again and give it a clean.
It requires that nice smooth surface like a bronze prop to be really effective.
Looks like you have done really well.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Well BB, you did, bacause the one thing one must not do with Prop-speed is rub it - it comes off. Thats how it works, and I can relate already that things went well, and I was impressed with how little was on the prop, and how well she cleaned up with the pressure wash. I felt like telling them to just plop her back in - almost… But seriously, the zincs still had half their meat left, as well - take note Art…
So…all in all…pretty pleased, and that was with (International/Interlux) Micron Extra two coats, and the Prop-speed on prop only. Maybe it should go on the rudder too. What do you think Benn..?
I'd say she scrubbed up quite well for 3 + yrs in warm Queensland waters. Normally when she comes out the prop looks ilke that first pic of the rudder, totally encrusted…
!st 2 shots before clean - 2nd 2 after pressure hose clean…
Looks like Prop Speed did the trick! Don't remember if you said you applied it yourself?? I have read up on installation which is pretty specific- and given the cost, would probably apply myself.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Propspeed works, this is 13 months in Florida water never touched by anyone, just spun at least every 2 weeks. This picture was taken after pressure washing but I told them not to touch the prop as I did not want any ill effects to the coating.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Peter your bum looks better than I anticipated for 3 years in warm water. Made a believer out of me, when Bliss gets her bottom done the prop will be treated similarly.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Guru

Peter, Clearly what you are doing works well. The Propspeed is impressive, I`ll try it next time.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hi Eric

Some place before I've read/heard of this technique for keeping prop blades clean but I never followed up on it. I'm real interested now... 3 yrs in salt water with just ArmorAll kept your prop that clean?? Did you have diver do prop cleaning during that time... clean it at all after haul out? How did you apply the ArmorAll, just one thorough coat or several coats after each dried? Looks to be a good-go per pict of your prop!
You read about it????

I have an old (73) Buick that I bought about 14 years ago and the guy covered the whole car w ArmorAll. Actually I'm only 95% sure it's ArmorAll. But 10 years later the water beads up on the car everywhere. At hwy speeds the water beads up in very small drops and runs across the windshield. At rest drops on the hood can be 1/2" in dia. The effect is still strong.
Anyway I noticed it and thought if it can stay on the car at hwy speeds for all those years it may stay on the prop.
Been putting it on ever since and my prop stays clean. You must realize that in the cold Alaskan waters fowling takes place much slower than places like Florida. I don't remember much fowling before I started using the ArmorAll either so the effects may to quite likely be minimal.
To apply I wipe it on w a rag w several coats as heavy as I can. And I wash the prop w Acetone or MEK before application.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
You read about it????

I have an old (73) Buick that I bought about 14 years ago and the guy covered the whole car w ArmorAll. Actually I'm only 95% sure it's ArmorAll. But 10 years later the water beads up on the car everywhere. At hwy speeds the water beads up in very small drops and runs across the windshield. At rest drops on the hood can be 1/2" in dia. The effect is still strong.
Anyway I noticed it and thought if it can stay on the car at hwy speeds for all those years it may stay on the prop.
Been putting it on ever since and my prop stays clean. You must realize that in the cold Alaskan waters fowling takes place much slower than places like Florida. I don't remember much fowling before I started using the ArmorAll either so the effects may to quite likely be minimal.
To apply I wipe it on w a rag w several coats as heavy as I can. And I wash the prop w Acetone or MEK before application.
TY Eric - Now I recall you posting that about your Buick some time ago. I'm going to purchase some ArmorAll liquid and begin testing on various items' different surafces. Your reports are notable of ongoing results.