fd versus sd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One important question you should be asking yourself is what kind of water you’ll be running in, how much time you have and what your budget is. If your a weekender and your cruising 60 miles to get where you want to go, have budgeted $$$$! for fuel you probably want a go fast boat. There are some great semi displacement boats out there but they are still pretty pricey to run and you will get that 60 miles in 4-5 hours. I had a FD 27’ boat. Weighed 7 tons. Held 120 gallons of fuel. Cruised at 7 knots and burned a little more than 1 gph. I could go that 60 miles in 8 hours and spend less than 40 dollars on fuel at todays prices and cruise a thousand miles before heading to the fuel dock. I also ran a low rpm diesel and could count on low maintenance costs and thousands of hours of running before overhauls. My wife and I liked to cruise and explore and time wasn’t a factor. Weigh you decisions on what your circumstances are.

One important question you should be asking yourself is what kind of water you’ll be running in, how much time you have and what your budget is. If your a weekender and your cruising 60 miles to get where you want to go, have budgeted $$$$! for fuel you probably want a go fast boat. There are some great semi displacement boats out there but they are still pretty pricey to run and you will get that 60 miles in 4-5 hours. I had a FD 27’ boat. Weighed 7 tons. Held 120 gallons of fuel. Cruised at 7 knots and burned a little more than 1 gph. I could go that 60 miles in 8 hours and spend less than 40 dollars on fuel at todays prices and cruise a thousand miles before heading to the fuel dock. I also ran a low rpm diesel and could count on low maintenance costs and thousands of hours of running before overhauls. My wife and I liked to cruise and explore and time wasn’t a factor. Weigh you decisions on what your circumstances are.

Having owned two FD Nordhavns, one SD Nordhavn and one One H38 and can advise many of the posts above are accurate. A FD boat will be more expensive, likely include back up systems, heavier built and designed for blue water.

I’m not sure I follow the range on H38 at 6 knots. With only 400 gallons you would have to sustain approximately 5MPG. We were concerned making a non stop trip to Cabo from San Diego (900 miles) averaging about 2MPG. Our N40 with 900 gallons had a range just over 2,000 miles.

John

Having owned two FD Nordhavns, one SD Nordhavn and one One H38 and can advise many of the posts above are accurate. A FD boat will be more expensive, likely include back up systems, heavier built and designed for blue water.

I’m not sure I follow the range on H38 at 6 knots. With only 400 gallons you would have to sustain approximately 5MPG. We were concerned making a non stop trip to Cabo from San Diego (900 miles) averaging about 2MPG. Our N40 with 900 gallons had a range just over 2,000 miles.

John

John:

The source for the comment is in the link below. Click on the graphs in "Hull Characteristics" and scroll to the relevant chart.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/about-helmsman-trawlers/

Originally Posted by N4061 View Post

John

John:

The source for the comment is in the link below. Click on the graphs in "Hull Characteristics" and scroll to the relevant chart.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/about-helmsman-trawlers/

Seems to be the difference between optimum mfg. conditions and real-life boat owner doings.

Many a slip betwixt the cup and the lip!

Seems to be the difference between optimum mfg. conditions and real-life boat owner doings.

Many a slip betwixt the cup and the lip!

Yep, obviously. But not far off of what I have seen owners report. It doesn't account for a foul bottom, heavy load, etc. But also as we all know if one is sensitive to burn rate one has the option to throttle back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom