Favorite sedan trawler under 40'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB 36 sedan but my wife said no to the ladder.

Today? Helmsman, Back Cove and any Doug Zurn design.

looked long and hard and found one that was right for me.

The Europa style did not suit me because of the fly bridge overhang (I am 6' 6" tall & 300 lbs.).
I was also looking for a project boat (cheep) that we could use and work on at the same time.
Not looking for a long range trawler, just to get away one
to three days at a time.

4 years in and it is working out fine.

Your needs may differ so find something that works for you.

Attachments

• PA240461.jpg
    PA240461.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 157
  • P2260535.jpg
    P2260535.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 151
Love my aft cabin 36 foot Albin. Galley up which is a "must have" for us. The only thing I would change is the queen bed in the main cabin is against a wall, hard for the admiral to climb over the captain who generally retires earlier. I would switch sides with her but when things go 'bump in the night" I like to be able to jump out of bed quickly, plus I generally get up a couple times per night if we are at anchor just to check things out. (might as well hit the head while I'm up"

pete

Well, I prefer a RPH style, but if it’s got to be a sedan, then it would be Willard 40.

Attachments

• 3A980CB7-DD3B-4DED-908C-9A00E8C2ACA8.jpeg
    3A980CB7-DD3B-4DED-908C-9A00E8C2ACA8.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 151
Larry, there’s a blurb in Voyaging Under Power about the W40.
There’s a RPH version for sale for about $125K.
Single FL power

Last edited:
We got rid of a sedan style cruiser due to the ladder to the bridge. Too tall and too vertical. As we get older we wanted steps not ladders so we got a sundeck. Besides our dog could not do a ladder but he does steps. And he isn’t happy if he isn’t with us, being left below would not be good...

I'm with Milt - Our Marine Trader 34 is great for us. Solid boat and plenty of space. Just make sure you find one in good shape.

I love the Corvette 34, more popular in the UK where it orginated, the company went under, senior executives from the Fleming Yacht company purchased the forms, carried over two execs from the old company and are now producing the Corvette. Its nick name is the "baby Fleming" as it obviously has major input from Fleming and is built in the same yard as Flemings.

I like the design for many reasons but one is the inside living area is carried all the way to the transom and the cockpit seating area is above. In my opinion, cockpit areas are great space eaters with little gain.

My philosophy is like many - the smaller the boat that works for you is best. Thirty four feet in the Corvette configuration works well and is known for the roomiest interiors for a yacht its size:

I love the Corvette 34, more popular in the UK where it orginated, the company went under, senior executives from the Fleming Yacht company purchased the forms, carried over two execs from the old company and are now producing the Corvette. Its nick name is the "baby Fleming" as it obviously has major input from Fleming and is built in the same yard as Flemings.

I like the design for many reasons but one is the inside living area is carried all the way to the transom and the cockpit seating area is above. In my opinion, cockpit areas are great space eaters with little gain.

My philosophy is like many - the smaller the boat that works for you is best. Thirty four feet in the Corvette configuration works well and is known for the roomiest interiors for a yacht its size:

Corvette is a nice boat but I don't consider it a sedan style because of the aft cabin

Under 40’ sedan trawler

We have a 2009 346 ES Integrity. It’s the perfect husband/wife boat for us. Single engine yanmar engine, bow & stern thrusters .

How would one define a Sedan? Some of the suggested boats (aft-cabins) I wouldn't consider a sedan, but maybe I don't have a clear definition.

I think of a Sedan like the Mainship 350/390, 400. Also most of the Grand Banks (not aft cabin or 'classic') and Island Gypsy.

I often think of a Sedan like a Europa without the side deck overhangs and outboard upper deck supports. I've always like the Europa style because to me it looks like a classic mini-yacht.

Sedan Trawler

I like the Mariner Orient Europa 38, great queen up front, galley up in salon with good view, salon and back deck same level, easy access to swim platform. Modified ladder to bridge to accommodate getting old!

Mariner 38 Europa

Couple pics if I figured it out!

Attachments

• 6ABC07F0-225D-4D9B-A736-9447E245880A.jpg
    6ABC07F0-225D-4D9B-A736-9447E245880A.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 5EB03ADA-A108-4B3B-86E9-049C942D5FFC.jpg
    5EB03ADA-A108-4B3B-86E9-049C942D5FFC.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 68C11D71-18D4-41EE-AFEF-D3DDC4347E1B.jpg
    68C11D71-18D4-41EE-AFEF-D3DDC4347E1B.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 86
I'm with you Larry . Have you seen the 47 Willard RPH on YW?

Yes I have. Although I dearly love the 40, The 47 stole my heart, and somehow I’d put up with the Portuguese bridge too.:thumb:

Thought I would chime in. After owning a President 41 and looking at many trawlers between 30 and 40', and also some faster boats (Meridian and others) the Admiral and I settled on a Mainship 34. Easily cruised by 2, can accommodate 4 but not for long, with stairs to the flybridge, easy access and exit, and lots of social area.
Cheers

After looking at many different trawlers we liked the Monk 36 the best. Like most 36’s the bow has 2 v-birth beds and a bathroom/shower. Mid ship is the salon with cooking and eating facilities. Where the Monk really stands out is in 2 areas. First the entire hull and upper half of the boat is larger than any other 36 we looked at. Secondly is the stern bedroom layout. It can handle a short queen mattress and you can totally walk around all but the head of it. There’s also about 10’ of hanging closet space on the port side and drawers and storage cabinets on the stbd side. Bathroom includes the normal sink, w/c and a small tub/shower. Very nice setup. The Taiwan built Monks have teak everywhere and overall their built very well. I’d also like to mention that there is a very active Monk group (MOA) that is very helpful if you have questions. So if I were you I’d look at a Taiwan built Monk. Good luck. Randy hull #145, built 1988.

How would one define a Sedan? Some of the suggested boats (aft-cabins) I wouldn't consider a sedan, but maybe I don't have a clear definition.

I think of a Sedan like the Mainship 350/390, 400. Also most of the Grand Banks (not aft cabin or 'classic') and Island Gypsy.

I often think of a Sedan like a Europa without the side deck overhangs and outboard upper deck supports. I've always like the Europa style because to me it looks like a classic mini-yacht.
The meaning of "sedan"? One of life`s little mysteries. Does it come from the auto industry? Or "the sedan chair",an enclosed platform a person sat in, carried by 4 persons, one at each corner. (RTF will surely post a pic).
Not a station wagon? Not a coupe? Not a soft-top sportscar? Not an SUV?
I see it as a descriptor in adverts, but there is no consistency.To me it means no FB, but I see it applied to FB boats.
Is this Riviera 3600 a "sedan"?
https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/..._.Model.3600 SPORT YACHT.))&pso=0&pss=Premium

Maybe not a trawler...

Just thought I would throw out our Mainship 40' sedan bridge, 1997. With twin 4 cylinder Yanmar diesels, we can travel at 18 knots if needed, but are almost always at 7, where we get fuel economy as good as any trawler.We did run at speed for a couple of years after buying her in 2001, when diesel was ~$1/gallon, but of course that didn't last.

What's your favorite sedan-style trawler? 30-40'.
Just curious.
Anyone who has been on TF for awhile won't be surprised by this post. Without question, the Halvorsen 32' Gourmet Cruiser was my favorite boat of all. We cruised her for 8 years & entertained several TF members. Although I love my present boat, the memories of SeaHorse II will be with me forever.

Attachments

• SeaHorse ii.jpg
    SeaHorse ii.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 41
  • running.jpg
    running.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 51
  • SeaHorse Composite.jpg
    SeaHorse Composite.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 45
  • slipped.jpg
    slipped.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 43
  • cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 44
We love our 1990 Grand Banks 32! Incredible original build quality. After 30 years many of the original systems are working just fine. Original gelcoat still excellent. Structurally fantastic--it has NO rain leaks. Relatively inexpensive to own and run. Great for two--we spent two months on her last summer in the PNW. Excellent resale value if maintained well. The "back porch" makes for mostly single-level living. And of course we love the traditional look! (I have to admit, next time I win the lottery I might go for the GB 36 Europa--that separate shower is might inviting!)
Oldersalt

Corvette is hella good copy of our 1977 Tollycraft tri cabin.

Basically same layout, same size, same speeds. Great sea handler and comfortable to operate as well as to stay aboard for weeks at a time. We'll be 5 days aboard, anchoring, swimming n' playing... this coming holiday weekend.

Attachments

• Linda TO Photo 1.JPG
    Linda TO Photo 1.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 38
My Farrell 34....
12066-albums628-picture5236.jpg

V-drive allows a large cabin for the length of the boat. I love being on the large flybridge. Bow & stern thrusters allow easy maneuvering in tight quarters.

Kinda rare around here but common NOB, a good hull for knocking through the afternoon chop in Georgia Straits. Been a lot of fun, looking forward to more!

12066-albums628-picture5237.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone who has been on TF for awhile won't be surprised by this post. Without question, the Halvorsen 32' Gourmet Cruiser was my favorite boat of all. We cruised her for 8 years & entertained several TF members. Although I love my present boat, the memories of SeaHorse II will be with me forever.

Thats a real sedan. I maybe mistaken but flybridge boats aren't really sedans are they? Liked the SH 2, I'm sure you miss her

Sedan

I think a Sedan has the helm within the main salon space.
A PH or RPH has a dedicated place for the helm, controls and nav gear ect.
Don’t think flybridges have anything to do w it.

I was going to say this at the beginning of this thread but thought my thinking may be just one of my intuitive thoughts. Don’t really know.

Back
Top Bottom