Old 05-28-2016, 12:16 AM   #41
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
While I have tied monkeys fists, I have never had a heaving line at the ready on any of my boats. Even though I am somewhat of a traditionalist, I doubt that I will ever have one.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Who needs a monkey fist if tossing a line less than eight feet away, only needed for an overly-large, double-sided berth?

Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #43
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
29 replies. Most of them berating th OP as an idiot for even asking the question. A few actually answered the question.
That's TF, you have to get past the illuminati...
Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #44
FF
Guru

We have a Monkey fist on one end of a life ring.

Its usually secured at the MF end so the ring can simply be thrown .

But should it ve needed , its there to use.

The ring is dropped to the deck and the bitter end with the MF is uncleated , done KISS!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #45
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
T
Quote:
here are not many regulations to be found on how to restrict weights of heaving lines, but at least the "Code for Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen" issued by the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency, is very clear on this subject. "Vessel’s heaving lines should be constructed with a monkey's fist at one end. To prevent personal injury, the fist should not contain any added weighting material." Obviously that’s not the way they do things in Panama.
Note that these guidelines are from the same people that dress their ball players in protective gear to look like hockey players while they swing a flat bat playing cricket.
As a safety precaution if you are on the receiving end of a heaving line a spike pole affords a greater and safer target range.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #46
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
If you get a chance to tour a new CG boat, you will find "throw bags" set on all the rails. Faster to deploy when needed. Its a small nylon bag with about 70 ft of line stuffed in helter-skelter. Grab it, throw it, no fuss, fast and accurate.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #47
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
If you get a chance to tour a new CG boat, you will find "throw bags" set on all the rails. Faster to deploy when needed. Its a small nylon bag with about 70 ft of line stuffed in helter-skelter. Grab it, throw it, no fuss, fast and accurate.
+ 1 for throw bags...we keep one available and have used it often...not for docking but for a swimmer drifting away or another boat in trouble etc. It's amazing hiw accurate you can throw them.

Also agree dock lines shouldbe handed w no need to throw. When approaching a transient dock I like to hand the stranger the eye end and have them drop it over the cleat...that lets the boat crew control tension per skippers instruction.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #48

City: Willsboro Bay Marina
Vessel Name: REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Model: 1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
Send a message via Skype™ to REAL MOUNTIE
There's an art to docking your boat without any line throing technique. This video was made for AV-OG-TIL a Norwegian NGO, working to reduce the harmful effects of alcohol. The guy got skills ...

https://pilgrim40forsale.blogspot.ca/
REAL MOUNTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #49

Locking Through On The Erie Canal
By Carol & John Lucas

After you enter the chamber, the boat needs to be centered to prevent it from running into the walls.

The driver stays onboard at the external steering station to engage the engine and/or haul on the deck lines.

The lock operator needs to stay on top of the lock wall to catch the dock lines thrown by the driver.

For-hire boats always have a necklace of fenders for protection, but the bow and stern are vulnerable.

When water rushes in or out of the chamber the boat can bob about and bump the gates or another boat (most locks can hold at least two boats).

Do not turn the engine off. You may need it to maneuver as the chamber fills.

Throw the deck lines to your operator.

Deck lines are set fore and aft on the land side of the boat, looped around the mooring bollards that are anchored on top of the canal wall.

Locking Through On The Erie Canal - BoatUS Magazine
Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #50
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL MOUNTIE View Post
Locking Through On The Erie Canal
By Carol & John Lucas

After you enter the chamber, the boat needs to be centered to prevent it from running into the walls.

The driver stays onboard at the external steering station to engage the engine and/or haul on the deck lines.

The lock operator needs to stay on top of the lock wall to catch the dock lines thrown by the driver.

For-hire boats always have a necklace of fenders for protection, but the bow and stern are vulnerable.

When water rushes in or out of the chamber the boat can bob about and bump the gates or another boat (most locks can hold at least two boats).

Do not turn the engine off. You may need it to maneuver as the chamber fills.

Throw the deck lines to your operator.

Deck lines are set fore and aft on the land side of the boat, looped around the mooring bollards that are anchored on top of the canal wall.

Locking Through On The Erie Canal - BoatUS Magazine
A little curious that the title does not match the article (wrong canal system) but go ahead, throw a line at a NY State Canal lockmaster, then come back and tell us the story .... should be good for a laugh
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #51
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Surprised at the extent of the anti-throwing post. When single handing and without all the fancy bow/stern thrusters or twin screw, there are many occasions that line throwing to a soul on the dock serves to control conditions and potential damage from results of wind or unsuspected tidal action. Both of which we have all had moments to experience.
I have posted my solution to this line throwing issue which serves as my 'Thruster' on other forum subjects. Matter of fact, used this method and instrument today entering the Wrangell Harbor in a flood tide condition.

Folding Grappling Hook Ninja Climbing 33 ft Nylon Rope | eBay

I keep this on the fly bridge in a sizable bucket with drain holes near my steering station from which I toss the to the dock and pull back till the unit hooks the bull rail. I know, not all docks have bull rails, I am fortunate living where common sense solutions to marine floats/docks still exist.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #52

Dear Wallace,

I just finished reading Al-Ketchikan comment and I admire his sense of humour and it made me laugh.

I do respect and admire your extensive experience as over 20 years liveaboard with over 22,000 hours in your log between lake Superior and the Caribbean to mention part of it.

Please Wallace, my point is not to offend you, as you already did the Erie Canal.

My point is that in Trawler Forum, there are people that like thinking things through in trying to find the real answer, not the first answer. Because it is refusing to jump to a conclusion.

Unfortunately, there are people that means avoiding thinking by jumping to conclusions. Jumping to a conclusion is like quitting a game : You lose by default.

Sometimes people react like they’ve stopped thinking. They say it to feel finished with that subject, because there’s nothing they can do about that.

It’s appealing and satisfying to jump to that conclusion and just laugh! It is in my view a different sense of humour.

So far Al-Ketchikan wins this one!

Kindest regards, respectfully

Normand
Old 05-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #53
Guru

I have well over 20,000 hours in my log and have had two bad dockings. Both were caused by people on the docks grabbing lines and pulling when they had no idea what I intended to do or had any clue what they were doing. On another occasion a man on the dock reached for my bow line and was politely told "please don't touch the lines ..... three times. When he ignored me and extended himself over the water and grabbed the bow line, a little shot on the thruster put him in the drink. You can never be sure what the person on shore is going to do with your line ... he's not getting mine.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Dear Wallace,

I just finished reading Al-Ketchikan comment and I admire his sense of humour and it made me laugh.

It’s appealing and satisfying to jump to that conclusion and just laugh! It is in my view a different sense of humour.

So far Al-Ketchikan wins this one!

Kindest regards, respectfully

Normand
Normand, absolutely no offense taken. i don't mind a good argument and one must do as one judges best for any given situation. I, as everyone else in this thread am merely expressing how I do things and why. I don't expect anyone to do things my way.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #55

Wallace, seriously I agree with you.

Here at the Marina on dock 4 we have a close knit community. When we dock in fair weather conditions, there are 2 to 5 persons that are on the finger ready to receive us. Some are retired and some are weekenders from all walks of life.

My wife (the admiral) is always at the helm because she likes docking and I am standing by with the docklines.

I do not need to toss them, just hand them by hand and tell them where to tie on the cleat. We are really spoiled at the same time most of the not perfect docking are done during these circumstances.

When we arrive during the week and no one is there to greet us, we make perfect docking... When the winds are too strong, we just wait and anchor in the bay in order to avoid bad docking.

Three years ago, a C&C sailboat was coming down to the fairway between dock 4 and dock 3, with his half furled genoa sheets twisted around his propeller during a squall and I yelled at him to change course and anchor in the bay.

He was in panic and kept coming in the fairway towards the row of power and sailboats. I ask the captain to trow me his starboard stern dock line and he did succeed at the first throw.

My neighbour was holding my belt from behind and I caught just enough line to make one turn and one half hitch on the cleat. The skipper grab a fender and just jump in front of us into the water we picked him up.

The sailboat stopped and was being pushed on the balcony (which was bent) of the first sailboat of dock 4. Then other came to help.His 14 year old daughter was in the cockpit, in shock in fetal position. His wife was drifting in the bay in the dinghy because she did not know how to start the outboard motor.

My opinion is to prepare to act or react to the best of our knowledge because its a tough environment out there.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 AM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Prefer an absence of dockside help.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #57

I have learned that there is quite a different environment where Al-Ketchikan cruises.

Some skippers in the northwest, where bull rails are the rule, simply use a piece of bent rebar with an eye welded on. Then get a spring line on using a double clove hitch or rolling hitch which will hold you as well as a cleat.

InsidePassageNews.com
Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #58
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

A little curious that the title does not match the article (wrong canal system) but go ahead, throw a line at a NY State Canal lockmaster, then come back and tell us the story .... should be good for a laugh
+1 Warning to anyone headed to NY canals...Monties description above doesnt resemble reality in NY
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #59

I merely quoted a BoatUS Magazine: Those Erie Canal Moments | October - November 2012.

As stated by two contributors, the description in the article may not resemble the reality in New-York State and I will find out during our trip this season.

At the same time, would it be fair and reasonable to state that I did not write the article and state the description in the article written by the authors Carol & John Lucas does not resemble reality in NY?

http://www.fairportoced.org/uploads/...nalMoments.pdf
Old 05-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
I merely quoted a BoatUS Magazine: Those Erie Canal Moments | October - November 2012.

As stated by two contributors, the description in the article may not resemble the reality in New-York State and I will find out during our trip this season.

At the same time, would it be fair and reasonable to state that I did not write the article and state the description in the article written by the authors Carol & John Lucas does not resemble reality in NY?

http://www.fairportoced.org/uploads/...nalMoments.pdf
The NY State Canal System is much, much easier than depicted in that article. I guarantee your first time will not be your last. We will be in Oswego heading for the Hudson in the last week of August so Keep an eye out for "DIRT FREE". Have a Great time.

Tags
bull rails, deck lines, heaving lines, throw lines, towing