Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Doesn't look like my kind of place Darrel. I guess I'm too old for the bikers and wet teeshirt contests with my crabcakes..... Maybe 20-30 years ago.

Diffrent strokes.

LOL! I hear 'ya. But, every time I've been there the bikers are older than me, more polite and courteous than many people I know and I have yet to experience the wet tee-shirt contests.

I think the craziness starts after my bedtime. I've taken the wife, my dad and many female co-workers there many times and they love it. If you're in the area check it out. At least during the day, before us old geezers are asleep.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
My favorite -

Reckless Ric's Bar & Grill - 410-590-2280

As you can see on the webpage, there are a string of other places owned by the same guy. He has certainly cracked the code on how to do this.
Lurker, if you like that, don't miss the lingerie show night around the pool at Shooters in Ft. Lauderdale.

Shooters Waterfront Cafe USA Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Lurker, if you like that, don't miss the lingerie show night around the pool at Shooters in Ft. Lauderdale.

Shooters Waterfront Cafe USA Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I can't stay up that late .... I'm too old.

We met my daughter in Canton (Baltimore) this weekend for her birthday. My wife and I were the geezers in town. How did this sneak up on me so suddenly?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Well my son, the first thing that comes to mind is the volume of the seasonal and local client base and whether combined they are enough to support your venture of an eatery and/or B&B. Granted you seem to be about 20km off the trans Canada highway and right on the water so you may be able to count on some tourist traffic but the NFLD come-from-away season is quite short.
From the Springdale web site, I see Green Bay has a market area of some 12,000. Enough, I think, to support the "right" restaurant in the off season. Establish some signature dishes that will have everybody talking and making YOUR restaurant a destination. The best Fish & Brewis in Green Bay for example...More than enough Figgy Duff...Bologna Casserole that will curl your mustache....I could go on but you get what I mean.
As far as laundry facilities for visiting boaters...Coin wash machines. The B&B?
Honkin' big sign at Hwy#1/390 intersection and LOTS of advertising.
If you plan a snack shop some separation from the sit down restaurant might be advised as rest' patrons may not want to intrude on local socializing.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #25

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
A tail of two marinas:
in our harbor there are two marinas with restaurants attached. one is open for breakfast, lunch and early dinner. Has inside and outside seating for year round service and an inexpensive menu. They have about 30 tables and turn each one about 2-3 times for each meal.
the other restaurant thinks they are a 5 star; decent food but way, way overpriced. they are open for lunch and dinner 4 days a week. Outdoor seating only so they are open 3 months a year. They also have about 30 tables and only serve about 15 meals each for lunch and dinner. They probably won't be here next year. The moral of this story is to know your market.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Thread just makes me hungry and for some reason I want a nice beer too.

Dingy Dock Pub in Naniamo is a bit different.

OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Singleton's Seafood Shack on the St John's River in Mayport, FL. Fresh off the boat.
It's all about the food!

https://plus.google.com/101287330051...99506422/about

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #28
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
I'm impress RT with your research.. yep toutons for breakfast, jigg's dinner with some Moose soup and oh ya raw carrots for the up-alongs ( called the Henvironmentalist down our way ) should cover the basis hahaha. But yes, you are correct on all accounts. Great advice. Like John said, know the market. My plan RT was already based on some of the things you actually identified. Since we love the social aspect of meeting, visiting and showing those that are interested a good time ( boat tours included ) we want to do this venture not as a must to survive but as a mom and pop down-home business. Seasonal will work just great for us.

Peggy and I have done a lot of traveling and yep Chip I can remember where the food was just awesome as well as places that the food needed a lot to be desire. One can have the swankest diner and have no patrons while the hole in the wall got line-ups.

Great Food, Great People, Great Times..

Tks all