Favorite Boat Themed Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
Pretty straightforward.....

Here's mine:

Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald -Gordon Lightfoot
One Particular Harbor -Jimmy Buffett
Last Farewell -Roger Whitaker

Sloop John B performed by The Beach Boys

Boats to Build. Guy Clark

Wifey B: Most popular, most sung of all times, not even close....:)

1. Row, Row, Row Your Boat. :rofl:

2. Sloop John B

3. The Banana Boat Song. :D

The Southern Cross
Crosby , Stills. Nash and Young
But I'm an old Hippie.

Bach Cello Suite #1 (in Master and Commander)) :D

Last edited:
Shipping up to Boston! Great Irish tune.:thumb::rofl:

Sailing by Christopher Cross.

Cool Change by little river Band!

Cheers.

H.

Singing a blues boat song

I joined the forum about twenty minutes ago. My husband and I bought our new (to us) boat about a week ago and are still waiting for the part that will actually let us pull away from the dock. Until then, plenty of time to sing boat songs (a sad substitute).

No doubt showing our age ;-)

Southern Cross, Crosby, Stills & Nash

Rock the Boat, Hues Corporation

Sail On, The Commodores

Ride Captain Ride, Blues Image

And one I just heard, Boats by Kenny Chesney

"Juuuuuuuust sit right back, and you'll hear a tale..."

Since AlaskaProf already mentioned my favorite (the instrumental from Master and Commander, which brings back some warm family memories from a Thanksgiving weekend on the water years ago), I'll offer my second favorite. David Gray, Sail Away with Me Honey... (This video is a little California cheesy, but it's far better than David Gray's own real video which is oddly dark and has nothing to do with sailing.)

https://youtu.be/mbNiGcSLmz4

That song brings back good memories too of a long, sunny charter weekend to Catalina we did with good friends some years ago, out past the Queen Mary on a boat called the Coconut Telegraph, learned how to moor with a fore-and-aft sand line off Decanso Beach, fun days on the island. That was a good weekend with my pretty blond sunburnt wife and our friends, sitting in the cockpit together at night with glasses of wine and the lights of the island twinkling...ahhhh.

"The LOOOOVE Boat soon will be making another run..."

:blush:

Ohhh, no no no, AlaskaProf had another piece in mind. This one is my favorite three times over: first, for that family Thanksgiving weekend on the water, second, because I played this during a week-long sail on the Maine schooner Heritage in Penobscot Bay, and then third because I played it on our own boat as we motored out of Newport, Rhode Island and around Point Judith beside one of the Volvo Ocean racers, off to Long Island Sound and up the Hudson to bring our boat home.

https://youtu.be/iZVN5Y6dtOk

How is it that there isn't a single Jimmy Buffet tune on this list?

I had a Buffett tune in the first post. I tried to limit myself to just one though...I figured there'd be more to follow.

I had a Buffett tune in the first post. I tried to limit myself to just one though...I figured there'd be more to follow.

Sorry. Overlooked that, but I'll offer: Changes in Latitude...

Last edited:
Reuben James - Guthrie
Sink the Bismark - Horton
Downeaster Alexa - Joel
Slow Boat to China - Redbone
Fitzgerald - Lightfoot
Sloop John B -Beach Boys

I'm on Boat Mother F'er!!

The Lonely Island - I'm On A Boat
https://youtu.be/avaSdC0QOUM

I was the engineer on that boat in the late 80's. We ran the sh*t out of it, lol. At the time it was the fastest conventionally powered yacht, ie: diesel/props. I even water skied behind it one day just for laughs, the wake was over my head :eek: We also did an episode of Miami Vice, the hot show back in the day.

Last edited:
Downeaster Alexa - Joel...

Oh, I forgot Downeaster Alexa, which often chokes me up missing Long Island Sound. That's a good one too.

https://youtu.be/LVlDSzbrH5M

And then there's anything Carly Simon sang at her live concert at Martha's Vineyard in 1987, but those aren't really boat songs per se.

Last edited:
Not exactly the question asked - a derivation of it.

We used to own a boat named "At Last"...

The boat had its own theme song - the Etta James version of the song.

Was our favorite song at the end of a day during debriefing of the day...

Just listened to this again and was reminded how much I like it. It was written and performed by my friend Eric Stone as the theme song for our Latitudes & Attitudes TV show. It has one of my favorite lines of all time: "Paradise is not a place, it's a state of mind". He even mentions tugs and trawlers in the song...

If you've never heard it, give it a listen. It's a very catchy tune!

http://youtu.be/gcDkh-4a6dg

Not exactly the question asked - a derivation of it.

We used to own a boat named "At Last"...

The boat had its own theme song - the Etta James version of the song.

Was our favorite song at the end of a day during debriefing of the day...

Wifey B:

Not completely Nautical but "Cortez the Killer", the Lyrics:

"He came dancing across the water
With his galleons and guns
Looking for the new world
In that palace in the sun.

On the shore lay Montezuma
With his coca leaves and pearls
In his halls he often wondered
With the secrets of the worlds."

the visual image of that has stuck with me my whole life...to dance across the water, and find new lands with hidden (to me) secrets...

and of course Submarines by the Lumineers is pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom