Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Favorite Boat

Rich--- Did the Wilson not have any Sea Whizzes on her?** Or is that a post-1970 weapon? And what was in the box amidships?* Torpedos or missiles or something else?* Good looking ship, especially compared to today's straight-line, slab-sided vessels.

-- Edited by Marin at 22:36, 2007-12-16

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #22

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
RE: Favorite Boat

This was WAY before CIWS!* The "pepperbox" in between the stacks was my ASROC (anti-submarine rocket) launcher.* It had eight cells for nuclear depth charges (nuclear weapons officer was also my job - a PITA) and/or MK44/46 rocket-assisted torpedoes.* Just forward of it was a magazine with a full set of reloads.* It had a range of about 10,000 yards.* We expected to be temporarily disabled as all the breakers tripped if we ever had to use the nuke.

Janes Fighting Ships of the day called these vessels "pound-for-pound, the most heavily armed ships afloat."*

One of the more interesting facts about this class of ships is that its main weapon, the Tartar anti-aircraft missile, had not completed development when the ships were started, but the Navy was so desperate to get an AAW missile into the fleet that they went ahead and started the ships.* About the first half of the 23 ships built for the US Navy (Germany and Australia also bought a few) were equipped with a doulble-arm missile launcher, while the later ships had a "single-armed bandit."

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Favorite Boat

Is the missile launcher the twin-armed device on the stern?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #24

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano

Yes.* It sits atop its cylindrical magazine - two concentric rings of 40 birds total.* I think it was about 8-12 seconds to reload.

I have located the ACVA, Adams Class Veterans Association, on line, and there is one ship still afloat, Charles F Adams herself.* It was apparently returned from Greece and is now in Philadelphia awaiting disposal decision.* THE ACVA is trying to get her saved and displayed in Jacksonville, FL.* I sent money.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=26824&url=

Maybe not as exotic as some of the other dreamboats posted here, but I have*admired this trawler moored on the slough outside Marysville for the last couple years.* There was a write up on it in Nor'Westing magazine back when it was re-built.* An insane amount of money went into it at that time.* If only it would fit in my boathouse......
Max Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #26

I have a serious lust for a 49' Alaskan. I know of one in a marina that is rotting away, guy wont talk about selling it. Sure do love those boats.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:04 AM   #27
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Max Simmons wrote:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=26824&url=

Maybe not as exotic as some of the other dreamboats posted here, but I have*admired this trawler moored on the slough outside Marysville for the last couple years.* There was a write up on it in Nor'Westing magazine back when it was re-built.* An insane amount of money went into it at that time.* If only it would fit in my boathouse......
At $330,000, it looks insanely priced for a wooden 1950's era boat, even if it is a Garden design! Looks like the guy is trying to get back the money he put into it, which NEVER happens!

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote