Fathom Yachts, your thoughts on this made in USA boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Fathom molds are now at Park Isle in Victoria BC. Park Isle has the experience and crew to continue the Fathom line, if they so choose.

The Fathom molds are now at Park Isle in Victoria BC. Park Isle has the experience and crew to continue the Fathom line, if they so choose.

I am not familiar with their boats but I do know Greg Marshall, who I know and respect, is closely involved with them. Wonder if we might see some redesign and reintroduction of the Fathom.

Sidedecks and interior room aside, the boat has too much freeboard and windage for my tastes. Those two particular attributes immediately dismiss it from my shortlist. I can say this about many trawlers I see, even the more prestigious ones. It reminds me a lot of the 10 million dollar yacht that tipped over at the dock. But hey, I'm no naval architect, I'm just a simple sailor that has a small trawler.

Glad to hear it although I am afraid the "new" Fathom if any will become one expensive boat. Anything and everything is more expensive in Canada, and with model names like Royal Passagemaker, and Royal Corinthian ... it sounds elusive and expensive like Corinthian Leather... :whistling:

Sidedecks and interior room aside, the boat has too much freeboard and windage for my tastes. Those two particular attributes immediately dismiss it from my shortlist. I can say this about many trawlers I see, even the more prestigious ones. It reminds me a lot of the 10 million dollar yacht that tipped over at the dock. But hey, I'm no naval architect, I'm just a simple sailor that has a small trawler.

Coming from a sailing background I find boats that tower two and three stories up above the waterline disconcerting. I am also sensitive to the different motion higher up. There is also some thing about a short tall fat high freeboard boxy boat that does not appeal to me. That being said I am fully aware that there are many who enjoy being high off the water and rather have the extra interior room a three story boxy boat provides. So there will be people who like the Phantom type. The problem for Phantom is that there is plenty of new and used boat completion in the live aboard summer cottage type boat market.

Many can agree, you are not a NA. Especially the thousand plus owners of Nordhavns, American Tugs, Fathoms etc. Dozens of these vessels are in my marina and all look great to my uneducated eye when sitting amongst the multitude of even taller non trawlers.

But I'd sure like to own a low rider Design by Dashew, Tad Roberts or Sam Devlin.

Last edited:
I think Fathom has a much better chance of surviving as a model of a wider brand offering than as a stand alone brand which they were. Their potential customer is limited. A more mainstream architect may also be able to make some improvements to bring them closer to what more boaters are seeking without losing their uniqueness.

I agree w Bligh.

I personally would not consider a Fathom boat and quite a few other highly respected boats because of their high up structures. Some have hulls that look too high but most just suffer from lofty cabins and fly bridges.

Deal me out. A low CG and fairly low windage is golden on pleasure boats. Windage is obvious but a low CG can hide in a tall structure. I really liked the Fathom while aboard so if I had enough money and lust I'd probably check out the CG. CG and "righting moment" is a numerical thing that can be checked.

Also I've never heard a boat add say "the highest righting moment and lowest CG on the market". Most people mostly don't care but safety and a nice motion on a boat is important to me and obviously bligh. You don't need to be a NA to suspect a high CG and windage is obvious. I think it's a some care and some don't coupled w the fact that capsizing trawlers are very rare. And what you like is the most important thing about pleasure boats.

M Especially the thousand plus owners of Nordhavns, American Tugs, Fathoms etc. Dozens of these vessels are in my marina and all look great to my uneducated eye when sitting amongst the multitude of even taller non trawlers.

There are tens of thousands of MacGergor 26's and I'm sure they appeal to their owners as well. They are just not for me.

Here is something that really sparked my interest in the latest issue of Passagemaker (dont get me started on the puff piece regarding Northern Marine).

Elling E4 capsize test - YouTube

It seems to have a lot of freeboard as well, but is missing the extra superstructure. I'm sure it is more seaworthy than my boat is.

Last edited:
Anybody know of a Fathom that flipped when cruising? Or other tall trawlers like a Nordhavn, Northwest or North Pacific? Malfeasance and fires seem to rule the pleasure boat sinkings I'm aware of.

The tallest for length and most ungainly vessels I've seen of late are the CG vessels but like the Elling most are built to right. Looks can be deceiving.

I'm inclined to say this boat looks nice and it's full of creature comforts. I feel that comparing a 30-40 year old boat against this boat would have little merit. I can't say I have read about any instability with the Fathom, any Norhavn, Northern Pacific etc... etc...
It looks a bit tall but what do I know I'm not a boat builder or structural engineer.
I say if you have the money and you like this vessel go for it.
Bill

I say if you have the money and you like this vessel go for it.
Bill

Well, we don't know the Fathom will ever make it back to the market, but if it does, exactly what Bill said. There are people who love their Fathom. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me. I just can't get past the lack of side decks. Just a matter of taste and choice.

Somehow the pros and cons of The Phantom type reminds me of the comparison between the Camray-Honda sedans vs the van and SUV types and there are plenty of people to go either way.

Have owned many boats with walk-around and without. I see a lot of folks say that they would not own a boat without side decks. Current boat, Mariner Seville 37 (or Helmsman 38 if you like) has no side decks and we do not miss them. 2 pilothouse doors, aft cockpit with transom door and steps on both sides to flybridge allow all around access. Many Krogens and Nordhavns have no sidedeck at least on one side. It's personal pref I know but if docking is the issue we have no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Have owned many boats with walk-around and without. I see a lot of folks say that they would not own a boat without side decks. Current boat, Mariner Seville 37 (or Helmsman 38 if you like) has no side decks and we do not miss them. 2 pilothouse doors, aft cockpit with transom door and steps on both sides to flybridge allow all around access. Many Krogens and Nordhavns have no sidedeck at least on one side. It's personal pref I know but if docking is the issue we have no problems.

Yes, I know the sidedecks aren't important to many. For us it's not related to docking although they sure do come in handy when locking. We just like to be able to walk around without going through the salon. But it's strictly personal prejudice. We understand too that omit the sidedecks and you get a wider salon.

There are tens of thousands of MacGergor 26's and I'm sure they appeal to their owners as well. They are just not for me.

Here is something that really sparked my interest in the latest issue of Passagemaker (dont get me started on the puff piece regarding Northern Marine).

Elling E4 capsize test - YouTube

It seems to have a lot of freeboard as well, but is missing the extra superstructure. I'm sure it is more seaworthy than my boat is.

That settles it, I will have to check how much I have in the piggy bank.
:dance:

Re; the side deck issue what about cleaning the boat and windows? Where ever I go to dock it would appear one of the major pastimes of boating is the hose down wipe up and polish up after a short salt water sojourn. Side decks make what must be a very important aspect of boating a lot easier. I also find wide side decks a lot friendlier for single or double handed docking of my 52 ft LOA boat when using my wireless remote control. I can walk anywhere along the deck judging distance to dock and handle lines. If I had a full width portion of the boat I would have to be running in and out of the boat to access full length. The variations in boat build allow for different use patterns filling different personal needs and I don't expect my tastes and needs to be universally accepted. I appreciate the Phantom for what it is and know it will please many. I could use such a boat but it falls far short of my aesthetic or functional standards. I also suspect there are other things pricing or the boat itself that fell short since the market did not appear to lap it up.

Quite right for a 52 footer. I think I would like to have a Fleming or similar 55 for next boat and will appreciate the side decks. When moving from our Back Cove 29 to a "trawler" the want list included. Flybridge, single engine, large saloon, nice galley, pilothouse, covered rear cockpit, bow thruster, decent island bed stateroom, 2nd stateroom, sidedecks and newer boat. Newer boat because we did not want to be be near the replace or revitalize most everything phase. So we compromised the side decks and 2nd stateroom in favor of normal stairs to flybridge on either side and 1 stateroom but two heads and both pilothouse and saloon sleeping arrangements if needed. We are bay and coastal cruising, 7-8 knots at 2-4 GPH. We can do 15 but won't...ever. Our 2 year old boat, when purchased came with the larger engine and being a common rail diesel I am ok with running at low RPM most of the time. Again a compromise. Anyway, this is a great forum and I appreciate everyone's wisdom. Best, Jeff

I gather one recently sank in Seymour Inlet and may be a total loss. Salvage operation will get under way soon.

I gather one recently sank in Seymour Inlet and may be a total loss. Salvage operation will get under way soon.

Have you seen a story online about this? I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks,
BD

Have you seen a story online about this?

No story I know of, I thought perhaps someone else might know more.

I spoke with a guy bidding on the salvage job. Seems she hit a rock (way up inside Seymour) and they tried to get home in damaged/sinking condition. She sank completely trying to run one of the tidal rapids (not the entrance). Word is there's a big hole in one chine.

Seems she hit a rock (way up inside Seymour) and they tried to get home in damaged/sinking condition.

Thanks Tad. It's more than just a morbid curiosity. There are some lessons I'd rather not learn by direct experience, so I try to pay attention to others experiences.

BD

Thanks Tad. It's more than just a morbid curiosity. There are some lessons I'd rather not learn by direct experience, so I try to pay attention to others experiences.

BD

Exactly, the reason this forum exists is to share experience, the good and not so good. The problem with learning from accidents or news stories is that it's hard to pin down true facts without an official investigation. For instance there have recently been a number of threads about fires on boats. The incident was reported but little was learned because no facts are known.

Thanks for creating the thread Rogue Wave... Some good conversation / opinions regarding side walkways...

:thumb:

I imagine we could pick any brand of boat and get a similar variety of opinions on some of it's features. That's part of the beauty, that we don't all like the same boat. To each their own. And I'm glad others appreciate certain types that I don't.

Log #58r Pictographs and a wrecked yacht | World Cruise of Veleda IV

Old thread, but found this, showing pics of wrecked Fathom.

We met a couple in Port McNeil who have a Fathom Yacht and they were quite pleased with it. The fellow mentioned that a Fathom was wrecked when it attempted a passage through Nakwakto Rapids, presumably on an unfavourable stage of the tide. He implied that Fathom Yachts had gone through difficult times and the moulds were purchased by Park Isle Marine in Sooke, who continue to build these vessels. He had some repairs done by this yard. He mentioned that Park Isle bought the wrecked vessel to learn about the construction of the earlier models.

http://www.fathomyachts.com/comp_story.html

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Hmmm. On further scrutiny it looks like the vessel attempted to enter Nanahlmai Lagoon.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

He implied that Fathom Yachts had gone through difficult times and the moulds were purchased by Park Isle Marine in Sooke, who continue to build these vessels. He had some repairs done by this yard. He mentioned that Park Isle bought the wrecked vessel to learn about the construction of the earlier models.

Are you aware of Park Isle actually building and selling any?

Back
Top Bottom