Old 06-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #41
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I'm inclined to say this boat looks nice and it's full of creature comforts. I feel that comparing a 30-40 year old boat against this boat would have little merit. I can't say I have read about any instability with the Fathom, any Norhavn, Northern Pacific etc... etc...
It looks a bit tall but what do I know I'm not a boat builder or structural engineer.
I say if you have the money and you like this vessel go for it.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
I say if you have the money and you like this vessel go for it.
Bill
Well, we don't know the Fathom will ever make it back to the market, but if it does, exactly what Bill said. There are people who love their Fathom. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me. I just can't get past the lack of side decks. Just a matter of taste and choice.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #43
Guru

Somehow the pros and cons of The Phantom type reminds me of the comparison between the Camray-Honda sedans vs the van and SUV types and there are plenty of people to go either way.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
Have owned many boats with walk-around and without. I see a lot of folks say that they would not own a boat without side decks. Current boat, Mariner Seville 37 (or Helmsman 38 if you like) has no side decks and we do not miss them. 2 pilothouse doors, aft cockpit with transom door and steps on both sides to flybridge allow all around access. Many Krogens and Nordhavns have no sidedeck at least on one side. It's personal pref I know but if docking is the issue we have no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Thought View Post
Have owned many boats with walk-around and without. I see a lot of folks say that they would not own a boat without side decks. Current boat, Mariner Seville 37 (or Helmsman 38 if you like) has no side decks and we do not miss them. 2 pilothouse doors, aft cockpit with transom door and steps on both sides to flybridge allow all around access. Many Krogens and Nordhavns have no sidedeck at least on one side. It's personal pref I know but if docking is the issue we have no problems.
Yes, I know the sidedecks aren't important to many. For us it's not related to docking although they sure do come in handy when locking. We just like to be able to walk around without going through the salon. But it's strictly personal prejudice. We understand too that omit the sidedecks and you get a wider salon.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #46
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
There are tens of thousands of MacGergor 26's and I'm sure they appeal to their owners as well. They are just not for me.

Here is something that really sparked my interest in the latest issue of Passagemaker (dont get me started on the puff piece regarding Northern Marine).

Elling E4 capsize test - YouTube

It seems to have a lot of freeboard as well, but is missing the extra superstructure. I'm sure it is more seaworthy than my boat is.
That settles it, I will have to check how much I have in the piggy bank.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #47
Guru

Re; the side deck issue what about cleaning the boat and windows? Where ever I go to dock it would appear one of the major pastimes of boating is the hose down wipe up and polish up after a short salt water sojourn. Side decks make what must be a very important aspect of boating a lot easier. I also find wide side decks a lot friendlier for single or double handed docking of my 52 ft LOA boat when using my wireless remote control. I can walk anywhere along the deck judging distance to dock and handle lines. If I had a full width portion of the boat I would have to be running in and out of the boat to access full length. The variations in boat build allow for different use patterns filling different personal needs and I don't expect my tastes and needs to be universally accepted. I appreciate the Phantom for what it is and know it will please many. I could use such a boat but it falls far short of my aesthetic or functional standards. I also suspect there are other things pricing or the boat itself that fell short since the market did not appear to lap it up.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
Quite right for a 52 footer. I think I would like to have a Fleming or similar 55 for next boat and will appreciate the side decks. When moving from our Back Cove 29 to a "trawler" the want list included. Flybridge, single engine, large saloon, nice galley, pilothouse, covered rear cockpit, bow thruster, decent island bed stateroom, 2nd stateroom, sidedecks and newer boat. Newer boat because we did not want to be be near the replace or revitalize most everything phase. So we compromised the side decks and 2nd stateroom in favor of normal stairs to flybridge on either side and 1 stateroom but two heads and both pilothouse and saloon sleeping arrangements if needed. We are bay and coastal cruising, 7-8 knots at 2-4 GPH. We can do 15 but won't...ever. Our 2 year old boat, when purchased came with the larger engine and being a common rail diesel I am ok with running at low RPM most of the time. Again a compromise. Anyway, this is a great forum and I appreciate everyone's wisdom. Best, Jeff

Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #49
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
I gather one recently sank in Seymour Inlet and may be a total loss. Salvage operation will get under way soon.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #50

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
I gather one recently sank in Seymour Inlet and may be a total loss. Salvage operation will get under way soon.
Have you seen a story online about this? I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks,
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Have you seen a story online about this?
No story I know of, I thought perhaps someone else might know more.

I spoke with a guy bidding on the salvage job. Seems she hit a rock (way up inside Seymour) and they tried to get home in damaged/sinking condition. She sank completely trying to run one of the tidal rapids (not the entrance). Word is there's a big hole in one chine.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #52

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
Seems she hit a rock (way up inside Seymour) and they tried to get home in damaged/sinking condition.
Thanks Tad. It's more than just a morbid curiosity. There are some lessons I'd rather not learn by direct experience, so I try to pay attention to others experiences.

BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Thanks Tad. It's more than just a morbid curiosity. There are some lessons I'd rather not learn by direct experience, so I try to pay attention to others experiences.

BD
Exactly, the reason this forum exists is to share experience, the good and not so good. The problem with learning from accidents or news stories is that it's hard to pin down true facts without an official investigation. For instance there have recently been a number of threads about fires on boats. The incident was reported but little was learned because no facts are known.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #54

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
Quite a package in 40ft, discuss...

Expedition : Specifications
Thanks for creating the thread Rogue Wave... Some good conversation / opinions regarding side walkways...

texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post
Thanks for creating the thread Rogue Wave... Some good conversation / opinions regarding side walkways...

I imagine we could pick any brand of boat and get a similar variety of opinions on some of it's features. That's part of the beauty, that we don't all like the same boat. To each their own. And I'm glad others appreciate certain types that I don't.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #56

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Log #58r Pictographs and a wrecked yacht | World Cruise of Veleda IV

Old thread, but found this, showing pics of wrecked Fathom.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #57
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Log #58r Pictographs and a wrecked yacht | World Cruise of Veleda IV

Old thread, but found this, showing pics of wrecked Fathom.

We met a couple in Port McNeil who have a Fathom Yacht and they were quite pleased with it. The fellow mentioned that a Fathom was wrecked when it attempted a passage through Nakwakto Rapids, presumably on an unfavourable stage of the tide. He implied that Fathom Yachts had gone through difficult times and the moulds were purchased by Park Isle Marine in Sooke, who continue to build these vessels. He had some repairs done by this yard. He mentioned that Park Isle bought the wrecked vessel to learn about the construction of the earlier models.

http://www.fathomyachts.com/comp_story.html

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #58
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Hmmm. On further scrutiny it looks like the vessel attempted to enter Nanahlmai Lagoon.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
He implied that Fathom Yachts had gone through difficult times and the moulds were purchased by Park Isle Marine in Sooke, who continue to build these vessels. He had some repairs done by this yard. He mentioned that Park Isle bought the wrecked vessel to learn about the construction of the earlier models.
Are you aware of Park Isle actually building and selling any?