Old 12-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Fast Bahamas cruiser

Iíve been to the Bahamas on my slow boat. Spent three weeks there and had a blast with the family. However, Iíve often wondered about having a fast (25-30mph) boat so I could zip over to the Bahamas with just my wife from the Fort Pierce area. When I was on the way to the Abacos I saw quite a few boats doing this, but many of them had triple or quad engines and were wildly expensive Iím sure.

For $50k or less, can I get a good trailerable center console style (or open cockpit) with a small cabin if I want to anchor out, and with updated, reliable 4 stroke outboards (2)? I know NOTHING about this style of boat so I might be way off. Whatís the minimum length for a boat like this to make a safe GS crossing if caught in bad weather?

What about something like this? Too short?
2006 Pro-Line 28 EXPRESS Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The capital for discussing and learning about this segment is The Hull Truth. Go through the archives there as there are dozens of threads on the same subject for the same purpose. Odds are those boats you observed are on that forum too. You'll get a lot of information along with the usual internet forum big dollops of hearsay and BS.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Guru

Ahh good idea. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Boston Area
There will be no universal answer. You said "if caught in bad weather"...well, in really bad weather no ship is big enough.....and in good weather, people cross over in Jet Skis and Kayaks.

It will really come down to how comfortable you want to be. I'd guess that boat you linked to could cross with no problems 75% of the time.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
That boat should do fine for the mission you stated. At 25 mph you will be in the stream no more than a couple of hours and from Ft Pierce to GTC is about 180 NM so about 8 hours, so you probably need to stop at West End, check in and refuel.

But a 28' O/B is not likely to be too much fun to sleep aboard at anchor. Check out the World Cat 270. It will be a little more efficient and may have more room below.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Guru

Fast Bahamas cruiser

Iím used to waiting for the right weather window with my slow boat, so really the weather question is not that big of a deal. I would use the same caution with the small boat.

There are sooooo many of these open style fishing boats I really donít know where to start. Donít know a good one from a bad one. Are there different hull styles that would be better? Engines to avoid? Certain brand boats to avoid? I figure I need two engines for reliability but maybe not? So much I donít know.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Iím used to waiting for the right weather window with my slow boat, so really the weather question is not that big of a deal. I would use the same caution with the small boat.

There are sooooo many of these open style fishing boats I really donít know where to start. Donít know a good one from a bad one. Are there different hull styles that would be better? Engines to avoid? Certain brand boats to avoid? I figure I need two engines for reliability but maybe not? So much I donít know.
I had a 24 Aquasport Tournament Master and it was an awesome boat. As you say if you wait for a weather window and have twins, you should be fine. My cabin was a bit small but for short stays, weekends or a week it was very comfortable and most of the time you are outside anyway. SeaRay, Boston Waler, Striper (Seaswirl) are all good boats and I am sure there are many more. Check the reviews some are kind cheaply built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772 (Large).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	71441  
Old 12-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
Guru

Will you be doing a lot of fishing ? Does it have to be outboard powered ? If not, a cruiser style boat might be a little more confortable for you. I suppose you might give up a little sea-worthiness, but something like a Sundancer might work.

For example...here's a boat that's the same year, length and price as the Pro-Line you linked to...but would be much more liveable.

2006 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Guru

Fast Bahamas cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Will you be doing a lot of fishing ? Does it have to be outboard powered ? If not, a cruiser style boat might be a little more confortable for you. I suppose you might give up a little sea-worthiness, but something like a Sundancer might work.

For example...here's a boat that's the same year, length and price as the Pro-Line you linked to...but would be much more liveable.

2006 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

No, I am not a big offshore fisherman at all. I did drag a line behind my slow boat last time we crossed and I caught a barracuda, but fishing is definitely not my goal.

I really did not want to mess with inboards and outdrives, but maybe I will reconsider.

I do like the look of that world cat 270. I found one close to me here so I think I will go look at the size of the cabin and see if it is worthwhile.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Although I absolutely despise the curvy look to the Sea Ray noted above, it sure has a lot more living space in it. And the engine access, wow!!!

It is listed as 1,000 lbs heavier than the Pro-Line, so that will take more power. But maybe the inboard engines will make up some of that in fuel savings over outboards.

As much as I hate to say this, it would be a good choice for that mission.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
In the last few years, we've met several couples that travel over from Florida with a boat similar to the one you referenced in your first post. They seem to spend most of their nights at a resort that has a dock and then zip round during the day exploring and maybe spend an occasional night at anchor.

I can see it. You have the fexability to go where you want in good weather, in the off season the boat's on a trailer in your yard or in storage plus your partner gets the creature comforts at night.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Learning from personal experience, I would never ever buy an IO boat again. SeaRay did make a "Weekender" model in that size range. The "Weekender" has inboards.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Learning from personal experience, I would never ever buy an IO boat again. SeaRay did make a "Weekender" model in that size range. The "Weekender" has inboards.
+1 no more I/Os for me either
Old 12-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
Guru

Hey what about something like this. Has pretty good cabin space. Doesnít look all that seaworthy compared to the World Cat however. And only single engine.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006.../United-States
Old 12-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #15
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
If I were to buy a twin outboard like the above one, I would want to make sure it would plane on one engine.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Fast is good. Faster is better. CC's are great for speed, but.....sleeping, staying out of the weather... But Sea Rays dominate this market plus that MM company (not the good one, Mickey Mouse, but the one that sells boats) even has special events. We once imagined just the two of us cruising the TN river on like a 28' Sundancer. There are some other similar or even can go to some coupe type boats that have cabins below. Trying to think of some that might fit that range and I'll do a little research but we're about to reach our destination and hotel...wow, we made good time today, but I'd so much rather be spending the night on our boat than in the hotel, even though it's a very nice hotel. Just not the same. Oh well. I think the person who drove before the person driving now must have sped a bit for us to get here so fast. Well, it's my car.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
Guru

I have no experience with them...but C-Dory owners tend to be fiercely loyal to their boats and consider them suprememly capable. To an outsider it seems cult-like, but there's probably something to back it up.

Their forum is called C-brats

Here's a thread on Hull Truth ( as that was mentioned earlier ) about them:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ory-boats.html
Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #18
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
wow....glad I know better.....

as was posted earlier....too much BS here and the hull truth.

You can kayak to the Bahamas if you want.....but like all boating discussions....compromise is the bottom line.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #19
Guru

Sure....everything is a compromise...the most seaworthy boat isn't the most comfortable boat....the most comfortable boat isn't the most efficient boat......the most efficient boat isn't the easiest to maintain........and so on.

Everyone has different values and everyone gives different weights to certain criteria.... The nice thing about this forum is you get many perspectives from many people but ultimately we all have to chose our own priorities, and pick the boat that's best for our own unique needs.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #20
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
If I was trying to accomplish fast crossings for short stays and easy docking and anchoring, (while still keeping the Admiral happy), I’d do it in comfort. Probably an Aspen 32 or Buzzards Bay 33.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallowsĒ.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote